now on our way up to Lake Superior for the weekend. I am running in my
first marathon tomorrow morning! Mixed emotions of course, but I am so
excited!
It makes me think about how each of our journeys to our fit selves is
a marathon. Like I said a couple days ago and like Abby said on BL
this week, "it's not a sprint; it's a marathon." I just keep thinking
of that over and over. Think about it- you have the support of your
friends, it's a hard undertaking, it takes courage, and it is
intimidating. A lot of people talk about having that same goal as you,
but very few will have the determination and fight inside to undertake
it. Along the journey, if you take off too fast, you'll lose steam
later in in the race and might not finish strong. You have to
constantly feed yourself the whole time- food fuel during the race and
positive/emotional/support fuel during our weight loss journey. You
will hit seemingly insurmountable walls when uou feel like quiting and
it will take an extra umpf to get over them. BUT, the hardest part of
it all in my opinion is just deciding to do it and lace up your
running shoes. AND guess what?!? You already did that! You did the
hardest part! You started the journey! You laced up your shoes! You
decided to undertake the challenge! You decided to hit your goals!
You decided to show your body you are the master of it- not it the
master of you! I am so proud of all of you :) Keep your chin up. It
is a marathon, not a sprint. The goal is endurance and slow steady
progress. The woman who sticks with it the longest will hit her goal.
And I KNOW that can be each of you :)
What are your thoughts on that?






























I do love that saying, 'it's not a sprint, it's a marathon', because I think so many times have I said, I just want it to be 'this way' NOW! But I have to remember it does take TIME to make true and lasting progress! No one can do this overnight. But it's a matter of will power... I'm trying to reconnect with MY will power... I know it's there, I just have to take control over it! Have a great race, Sarah!
ReplyDeleteSarah, you are quickly becoming my motivational guru! It IS a marathon. There are ups and downs. For me it is important to remember my worth in all this. If I have a slip up or two, it's ok, b/c it's a marathon, not a sprint. In a marathon, you have to remember to never give up. Those who finish are the ones who never gave up. Those of us losing weight and improving our bodies are the ones who will never give up. There will be all kinds of moments along the way - great, ok and not so great. It's the finish that's important! So, let's keep our eye on the prize, shall we?! And Sarah, you are going to blow that race to smithereens!
ReplyDeleteSo true Sarah!!! And you definitely are becoming our motivational guru! How great are you!!!?? Keep going everyone, even after those really really bad days! We can do this!
ReplyDeleteWe can't "throw the towel in"--we have to press on toward our goal. An important part of that, and something that I think is more difficult for women, is to forgive ourselves when we disappoint ourselves, and to move on.
ReplyDeleteI read a commentary in the newspaper recently that was criticizing Pres Obama for going to Copenhagen on behalf of Chicago hosting the Olympics. The author said with all the uproar over health care, Obama should only do things in which he will be successful at this time. What?! What happened to "try, try again" and "hope"? Let's not find ourselves saying, I'm only going to do things that I know I will succeed at. Let's run this "marathon" (a HUGE goal) and have both successes and failures and NEVER GIVE UP!
Sarah~ Good luck! We are all cheering for you! What an amazing goal that you are about to fulfill.
Sarah I wish you the best of luck today! I know you will do awesome.
ReplyDeleteAnd I completely agree, at the end of the last challenge I hit a wall and completely was ready to give up but realized that wouldn't help me feel better.
On the subject of healthy food I ran across this link today about food that can help you fight fat.
http://health.yahoo.com/experts/healthieryou/12893/8-foods-that-fight-fat/
It has interesting info on cinnamon and mustard....
Good luck again today Sarah!
Thanks for the link Shanda. That was a good article.
ReplyDeleteSarah, I hope you had a terrific run today! What an amazing achievement!!