10/5/09
First Day :)
Ready to hit the ground running? You ladies are all going to do great :) I am very excited! First thing first, this blog is to encourage positivity in hitting our goals. Please make comments as encouraging as you can. If you're having a horribly rotten day, then we'd love it if you would just skip that day and comment the next day; no problem, we all go through that. Second, first thing this morning log into your My Fitness Pal free profile, click on check-in, and enter in today's weight and other body measurements (customizable for which ones you want to track). You'll want to do this after you use the restroom and before you eat breakfast if possible. Check out the "How to Accurately Weight and Measure Yourself" link on the left sidebar. This is your starting point. Second, track what you eat and track what you burn off in exercise in the My Fitness Pal profile. We'll only weigh in once per week and we'll only measure once every three weeks.
Here's a little Metabolism 101 lesson for us: Your body has a base metabolic rate that is the amount of calories your body naturally burns just by breathing in and out each day, pumping your heart, operating bodily functions, etc. There are additional calories your body requires just in normal walking around in everyday life (why MFP asks if you're usually sedentary, moderately active, etc.). These things contribute to the goal of net calories that MFP determines (diff for each of us) with our stated weight loss goal. Whatever you burn above the net calorie goal you eat. The basics of losing weight is that you burn more calories than you take in (a.k.a. calorie deficit). The more complicated explanation of losing weight is that different behaviors, foods, and workouts lend themselves to increasing the rate at which you burn calories (metabolism) or some foods will burn faster and more efficiently than other foods or will sustain your energy for longer than other foods, etc. We'll talk more about that later. So this being day one, just try to, in the words of Abby from the Biggest Loser, "Watch your calories. Keep moving. It works."
Google metabolism and weight loss then share with us what you learn or already knew about how to pump up our metabolisms and make them burn more efficiently! We are calling the crash cart to rescue our sleepy metabolisms and make them amped up and ready to rock this next six weeks! I know you all can do this challenge and hit your goals if you DECIDE you can and DECIDE to challenge your excuses and DECIDE to do whatever hard work it takes to make it happen :)
Here's a little Metabolism 101 lesson for us: Your body has a base metabolic rate that is the amount of calories your body naturally burns just by breathing in and out each day, pumping your heart, operating bodily functions, etc. There are additional calories your body requires just in normal walking around in everyday life (why MFP asks if you're usually sedentary, moderately active, etc.). These things contribute to the goal of net calories that MFP determines (diff for each of us) with our stated weight loss goal. Whatever you burn above the net calorie goal you eat. The basics of losing weight is that you burn more calories than you take in (a.k.a. calorie deficit). The more complicated explanation of losing weight is that different behaviors, foods, and workouts lend themselves to increasing the rate at which you burn calories (metabolism) or some foods will burn faster and more efficiently than other foods or will sustain your energy for longer than other foods, etc. We'll talk more about that later. So this being day one, just try to, in the words of Abby from the Biggest Loser, "Watch your calories. Keep moving. It works."
Google metabolism and weight loss then share with us what you learn or already knew about how to pump up our metabolisms and make them burn more efficiently! We are calling the crash cart to rescue our sleepy metabolisms and make them amped up and ready to rock this next six weeks! I know you all can do this challenge and hit your goals if you DECIDE you can and DECIDE to challenge your excuses and DECIDE to do whatever hard work it takes to make it happen :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






























Here are some of the things I have learned about Metabolism, some old some new:
ReplyDelete-If you don't eat enough calories your body will go into starvation mode where it slows your metabolism to a crawl to conserve energy b/c it doesn't know when the next meal is going to come. So eat what you burn to always aim for your net calorie goal! :)
-Drinking lots of cold water boosts your metabolism
-And here's a link to an article w/ tons of ideas and suggestions on boosting your metabolism: http://www.womenshealthmag.com/weight-loss/boost-your-metabolism
Here's what I know about boosting your metabolism: Eat a solid breakfast and try to workout in the morning as opposed to later in the day. Eating and exercising early in the day jumpstarts our metabolism and keeps it at a higher rate through the day.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Meghan! Eating first thing in the morning and eating often in small meals/snacks does help boost metabolism, or keep it running full steam instead of doing valleys and troughs. So how has the day been going so far? Any glitches or questions on how to enter things in MFP? Aim high!
ReplyDeleteHey everyone! I'm looking forward to Round 2 of this challenge (Round 2 for me at least) and building on what I was able to accomplish in the last 11 weeks.
ReplyDeleteWith regards to metabolism, one thing I've done is have it measured. My gym (and I assume most gyms or wellness centers) offer metabolic testing - you wear a mask and breath into a tube connected to a machine for about 15 minutes and it tells you your base metabolic rate (how many calories your body needs if you were to do nothing at all). The tool on myfitnesspal is similar but having the test done is pretty cool because you know that is particular to you. So if you belong to a gym, look into it! I think it cost me like $60. I have had it done a few times over the years - as you lose weight, you need less calories.
I look forward to reading everyone's posts as we all make healthy changes together! Good luck!
Hello everyone! I'm so excited to get started. I have a pretty good understanding about how metabolism works. I know you have to eat and exercise to get the metabolism going. Weight loss in it's simplest explanation is creating a calorie deficit. If I know this then why do I struggle so much?
ReplyDeleteOver the last 6 months or so I have been doing some reading and making changes based on the concept of estrogen dominance. I've changed the types of food I generally choose to eat, I am aware of the environmental chemicals and toxins I expose myself to.
I'm hoping by combining what I've learned about food and what I already knew about metabolism, and exercise I will see success.
If only I can stay away from the evil pizza....
Hello Lovely Ladies!! I don't know anything else other that what has been stated. I just wanted to let you know how excited I am because I just reactivated my gym membership and will be heading there in the early morning!!! My mom's early birthday present to me!! Just pray my foot doesn't bother me.
ReplyDeleteHey everyone! I'm so excited to be starting up again! I've missed hearing how you all are doing! I honestly don't know a ton about metabolism. I do know that being hypothyroid that it slows your metabolism down and makes it harder to lose weight. Beyond taking my medicine daily, I don't know what else I can do to help that (besides what you've all mentioned) I think I'll research that...... :) Hope your first day was great!
ReplyDeleteKristin- the test sounds fun! It's got to be a good feeling to see the progress and advances over time as your BMR goes down as you get more and more fit :) Abrey- yay! I'm glad you're going to be able to get in a great routine again! And of course I hope the foot heals quickly. I definitely applaud your ability to workout at the crack of dawn- that takes real dedication & you should give yourself all the credit you deserve :) Don't sell yourself short! You are a phenomenal athlete and you can do anything you set your mind to. Nicole- we are excited YOU're here again, too :) I can't wait to hear how all of you are doing, all the different ideas you have, all the encouragement you're going to be offering each other, and all of your successes! Amy C.- Making good decisions and "upgrading" your food is hard to do- great job! In response to your comment "If I know this, then why do I struggle so much?," we all are in the same boat! We all know the basics and we all know a trick or two, but we don't put it into action. We don't live it daily. That's what this blog is all about- actually having the courage and determination and dream (with a heck of a lot of group support & daily reminders) to put everything we already know into action. It's easy to sit back and procrastinate or rationalize, but it takes a TON of hard work and motivation to actually lace up the sneakers or grab the healthy option. Fight the excuses and take control of where your body is headed again! Bit by bit, pound by pound, drop by drop, you're going to hit your goals if you decide you are going to :) I can't even begin to explain how excited I am for this new 6 week challenge! I felt so lost last week not chatting it up with you all :) YOU make such a difference! The basic gist of the metabolism convo was to increase your awareness that certain actions and habits will help you burn calories faster and more efficiently than otherwise. But ultimately, just take away that YOU affect everything about your body. You affect your metabolism. You affect your energy. You affect your hydration. You affect the shape your body is going to take. You affect your health and happiness. I've heard that it takes a body 6 weeks to develop a habit. You owe your body the full 6 weeks of this challenge just to BEGIN to get into the swing of things and the habits of healthy living. Keep on doing great things, ladies!
ReplyDelete