10/7/09

Whatcha Eatin' Wednesday?

Snacking helps you lose weight?  Seriously?! Seriously.  Check out this Mayo Clinic article and this Runners World article that shows how and why it's important to eat often and lightly if you want to lose weight.  Here are the benefits to snacking lightly and in moderation all day long, as opposed to the yo-yo of huge meals and interrim starvation:
  • Helps manage hunger
  • Helps reduce bingeing
  • Conducive to grab-and-go busy schedules
  • Supply body with constant energy instead of valleys and troughs
  • Spread calories evenly through the day
  • Fuels you up for workouts
  • Helps you get in a wide variety of nutrients
  • Sustain blood sugar levels (which reduces cravings)
  • Keeps metabolism revved up high (which burns more calories)
Need some new healthy snack ideas that are around 100-200 calories and packed w/ nutrients & energy?  There are so many suggestions out there, including great suggestions in these: Glamour-8 Snacks to Eat for Weight Loss, Women's Health- Weight Loss Snacks, Yahoo Health- Best Snacks for Weight Loss, The Healthy Snacks Blog, and Shape- Grab-and-Go Snacks.
  • Fresh broccoli or cauliflower w/ fat free ranch dressing
  • Almonds
  • Fresh or frozen berries
  • Fat free or light yogurt
  • Hummus w/ whole wheat pita chips
  • Hummus w/ carrot or celery sticks
  • Half an avocado
  • Cherry tomatoes
  • Laughing Cow cheese rounds
  • Mini-bag of microwave kettle corn or popcorn
  • Mini Clif bar
  • Handful of cereal or granola
  • Kashi bars
  • One packet of instant oatmeal
  • Whole wheat roll
  • Fat free, sugar free chocolate pudding or mousse
  • Little chocolate milk chug
  • Protein shake
  • Banana
  • Fresh pineapple cubes
  • Skinny Cow mint chocolate ice cream sandwich
  • 10 Olives
  • Half an english muffin w/ marmalade
  • Low-fat cottage cheese
  • Hard-boiled egg or egg whites
  • Edamame
  • Whole dill pickles
  • Smartfood popcorn clusters




What are your favorite healthy snacks??? I can't wait to see them all! I posted the pics of my absolute favs on here :)

10 comments:

  1. Ok, ok, so the ice cream sandwiches probably aren't nutrient or energy packed, but sometimes you just need something like this, ya know!? :)

    I posted all of my favs. What are yours??? Be specific enough that we can find them in our local grocery stores :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, Sarah, the skinny cow fudge bars have 4 grams of fiber in them and according weight watchers they are only 1 point! So not bad!
    My favorite snacks are:
    *mini bags kettle corn popcorn
    *laughing cow cheese wedge with Fiber selections Wheat Thins
    *sugar snap peas w/ light ranch dressing
    *part skim string cheese
    *celery with peanut butter
    That's all I can think of now, but everything sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been all about the bananas over this past week. I just finished the last one in our kitchen today. I really love to snack on broccoli or cucumbers when I am home but I prefer catalina or cesear dressing. I recently found the skinny cow sandwiches and fell in love with them, they are perfect! I also like eggs in the morning when I am running out the door, they are easy to eat if I peel them the night before. Pickles tend to be my evening snack, they have enough flavor to satisfy me. I also like grapefruits with a little sugar sprinkled on top for breakfast. Sometimes I indulge and have a small bowl of cinnamon toast crunch with my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sugar snap peas
    string cheese
    fiber one bars
    protein shake
    almonds
    boiled egg
    cucumber
    peppers

    That's what I've been doing lately, that I can remember right now. Looks like a lot of you are doing these same ones. Thanks for the other ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't see any snacks that I eat with any regularity that haven't already been listed. -even my favorite Kashi bars have been covered!
    I did see something last night that I really want to try . . . a "mashed potatoes" recipe from Jillian on the Biggest Loser. She said to try blending up some steamed cauliflower with a few added spices. Sounds good! Anyone tried that? I thought it'd be a great way to get in some extra veggies!
    Great ideas everyone! I'm excited to implement some of these great snack ideas into my diet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel bad as I am sitting here reading for class eating chips ahoys and milk! I have been really bad today. Someone brought in a bowl of candy and I think I have eaten 10 mini snickers and a reeses....what? I got my protein for the day! haha. I love veggies and dip, pretzels with ranch, fruit, pudding cups. I really need to get back on track though. I haven't been doing well. I have frequented Panera 3 times in the last 8 days!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The only snack I have to add to the list is Lara Bars. They have very few ingredients (fruit and nuts).

    I have had to remove happy cow sandwiches from my freezer. I like them too much. I have trouble just eating one, or even two...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm the 100 calorie snack queen. You get me in the isle the sell them in the store and I go crazy. I love to get anything chocolate or I get the 100 cal cheetos.
    I have toast with I cant believe its not butter Light on it. I had garlic powder sometimes.
    I always have some kind of ice cream. Like right now I'm eating Weight Watchers cookie dough sundae YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Meghan, I have done the steamed cauliflower mashed 'potatoes' and they aren't bad at all! My kids wouldn't eat them though, so I didn't make them anymore, but I though they were ok!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amy F.- MMmm, I never thought of pairing the Laughing Cow cheese wheel w/ the Wheat Thins! I am totally going to go out and buy the Wheat Thins! Yum! Shanda - I want to boil some eggs, too. Meghan- which flavor Kashi bars is the best? I also have tried the mashed cauliflower. If you eat it expecting it to taste like cauliflower it's great! But if you expect it to taste like mashed potatoes, not so great. A lil salt and pepper take it a long way, though :) Tara- hang in there, babe! I've never tried pretzels in ranch, either- will have to check it out. Amy C.- you crack me up! Yes, it is hard to stop at just one Skinny Cow sandwich, but I admire your willpower to just not buy them all together! Jeanie- Mmmm, cheetos :) Wow, I don't know about you, but I have some fun new things to add to my grocery list next for time I hit the store! Thanks for sharing, everyone!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.