- "Researchers found that a strong laughter for 10-15 minutes daily can increase energy consumption by 10 to 40 calories per day."
- "She found that laughing 30 seconds to five minutes as often as 10 times a day, her cravings stopped. She began losing weight, had more energy and developed a yen to exercise," and from the same article, "A study from the University of Maryland School of Medicine showed that daily hearty laughing increases the blood flow by expanding stress-constricted vessels. 'A belly laugh is internal jogging,' ... Laughing involves 'a great deal of physical exercise and muscular behavior' — 15 facial muscles plus dozens of others all over your body that flex and relax. Your pulse and respiration increase, oxygenating the blood. 'Laughing 100 to 200 times per day is the cardiovascular equivalent of rowing for 10 minutes...' Laughter sets the respiratory apparatus and its muscles into motion, he says," and again from the same article, "The biological changes we see with moderate, routine exercise...are very similar to the changes we see with the constant use of mirthful laughter...for laughter to produce the same benefits as aerobic exercise, it would require a long, sustained bout of hysterics."
- "Researchers discovered that laughing increased both heart rate and calorie expenditure by up to 20 per cent and the longer particpants laughed for the greater the effects....just 15 minutes of laughter a day will burn 10-40 calories, depending on a person's weight and the intensity of the laughter. That's enough to shift between 1 and 4lb a year." From that same article, "The idea that laughter benefits health has been around for many years, possibly because it reduces muscle tension, increases the amount of oxygen in the blood, exercises the heart and produces happy chemicals in the brain called endorphins. It certainly makes sense that laughing would burn more calories too, as a result of the extra movement and increase in heart rate linked with laughing. You don’t burn heaps of extra calories but as any slimmer knows, it’s little changes that make big differences. Plus, having a laugh usually makes most of us feel more positive about life – and ultimately, this can help us feel better about ourselves and make us more motivated to lose those excess pounds. If nothing else, adding laughing to your list of weight loss tips gives you the perfect excuse for watching your favourite comedy or having a few more night’s out with friends!"
- "Personally, I know it helps me. It gets me through good times and bad times, and I think laughing is one of the greatest pleasures in life. Anyone who can make me laugh is a quick friend. Laughing brings so much happiness to my life. You know how laughing just makes you feel wonderful? It releases tension and just makes the day a little bit brighter? Laughter is the best prescription on days when you need that little push to keep you going...We can’t always take everything so seriously. Adding laughter can help make the journey to losing weight and feeling better that much more fun!"
12/15/09
Tuesday Motivation
GOOD MORNING :)
Did you know that laughing helps you lose weight?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)










































Make time to laugh today, ladies :)
ReplyDeleteHere's my dad's favorite joke. And if you don't get it, you're not alone. But the sheer weirdness of it makes me laugh.
ReplyDelete"What's the difference between a duck? One leg's both the same."
Have you seen the youtube about Pres. Obama's teleprompter malfunction at dinner?
ReplyDeletehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXQTaWjMoFw
Awesome post! I'm glad I married the class clown! I love watching goofy comedy sitcoms. Favorites: Friends re-runs, How I Met Your Mother, Modern Family and I LOVE Ellen! She gets me laughing every day.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the post today! Sorry I have been MIA for a short time. I did weigh and measure yesterday but it wasn't good. Stress does interesting things to your body, mind and soul. The articles today were nice for a change of perspective. A great quote that I love is "I have the choice to laugh or cry and crying gives me a headache!" We have a choice in the way we react to things. I am a work in progress in my choices and today I choose to LAUGH!! HAHAHA and HOHOHO!!
ReplyDeleteI love baby #6 and the last one.
ReplyDeleteWorking in an ICU, there can be very tense moments. I have to say, I have had some very good laughs at inappropriate times, over topics that would not be funny to the average person (don't worry we don't laugh inappropriately with family present or if the patient is aware of what's going on). Sometimes laughter is the only way to keep from crying. ;)
If you haven't seen the website People of Walmart.com check it out. I was in tears from laughing so hard. (I don't usually find humor in making fun of others, but that website put me over the edge!)