Ever heard of lactic acid? Or heard that after a hard workout, your stiffness and soreness is a result of the built up lactic acid?
I wanted to learn more about it, so I Googled :)
After looking at Wiki, and reading some articles in a few online medical journal articles, I found
this simply put article from the New York Times that explains that the lactic acid build up theory that it causes fatigue and muscle soreness is a MYTH.
Lactic acid is a fuel for your muscles, and it's a good thing, but it's completely out of your muscles an hour after a workout, so it doesn't correspond even with the muscle soreness.
So working harder & longer, building on endurance, THAT helps you get better at performance, stamina, and endurance. The soreness after a hard workout is because of the damage you've done to your muscles, and doing that damage and letting it heal/recover makes the muscles STRONGER and more apt for excellent efficiency and endurance.
What workouts have you done this week? What great workouts do you have planned for this weekend?
**Side-Challenge: Make your Crisco sculptures today or tomorrow and sometime Friday evening I'll post all the pictures w/ blurbs that I get emailed and post the poll for you all to vote over the weekend! Remember, the prize is smthg awesome from Arbonne from Amy!!!
And to keep the randomness flowing, here's a ditty that I came across from motivator
Dale Smith Thomas & I highlighted my favorite parts that apply to each of us awesome challengers in this blog:
Beginning Today
Beginning today I will no longer worry about yesterday. It is in the past and the past will never change. Only I can change by choosing to do so.
Beginning today I will no longer worry about tomorrow. Tomorrow will always be there, waiting for me to make the most of it. But I cannot make the most of tomorrow without first making the most of today.
Beginning today I will look in the mirror and I will see a person worthy of my respect and admiration. This capable person looking back at me is someone I enjoy spending time with and someone I would like to get to know better.
Beginning today I will cherish each moment of my life. I value this gift bestowed upon me in this world and I will unselfishly share this gift with others. I will use this gift to enhance the lives of others.
Beginning today I will take a moment to step off the beaten path and to revel in the mysteries I encounter. I will face challenges with courage and determination. I will overcome what barriers there may be which hinder my quest for growth and self-improvement.
Beginning today I will take life one day at a time, one step at a time. Discouragement will not be allowed to taint my positive self-image, my desire to succeed or my capacity to love.
Beginning today I walk with renewed faith in human kindness. Regardless of what has gone before, I believe there is hope for a brighter and better future.
Beginning today I will open my mind and my heart. I will welcome new experiences. I will meet new people. I will not expect perfection from myself nor anyone else: perfection does not exist in an imperfect world. But I will applaud the attempt to overcome human foibles.
Beginning today I am responsible for my own happiness and I will do things that make me happy . . . admire the beautiful wonders of nature, listen to my favorite music, pet a kitten or a puppy, soak in a bubble bath . . . pleasure can be found in the most simple of gestures.
Beginning today I will learn something new; I will try something different; I will savor all the various flavors life has to offer. I will change what I can and the rest I will let go. I will strive to become the best me I can possibly be.
Beginning today. And every day.
Author unknown
Make it a fantastic day, ladies :)
Sweat today ;)
ReplyDeleteI'm so excited to post today. I had a great work out week!
ReplyDeleteI was out walking several times at the end of last week.
I did the jingle bell run, thought I walked due to the packed snow and ice.
I rode my bike twice (on the trainer)
I ran at the dog park yesterday with my new Yak Trax (I hope Santa brings you some Sarah, they are great!!!)
And today....I overcame me fear of trying something new and got my butt to swimming this morning. It was hard! But I loved it.
For the next week, I'm planning on swimming tomorrow and tuesday. I got my x-country skis out and would like to use them this weekend. I'll take the dogs to the park for a run once or twice, and then it will be back to work for me. I can usually get on my bike at least once during a weekend of work.
Tim and I are considering a used treadmill with his end of the year bonus! I much prefer running outside, but I may make more progress is weather and dark is not a challenge I face.
Have a terrific week everyone. I can't wait to see the sculptures. I have to go buy my crisco!
Amy C.- I am so jealous of the swim team!!! That is awesome :) Your working out has been PHENOMENAL! Great job! I love that you plan so detailed and in advance- I am the same way- feeds into Nicki's awesome side-challenge that we're doing starting on Monday! That's so funny you said that about a treadmill- I just emailed my hubby a few days ago some Craig's List postings for some sweet used treadmills- I didn't know there were so cheap used- you can get digital ones for around $150-200! I guess I always thought they were $1,000+ We'll see if Santa brings that...or YakTrax...or both! Santa owes me for forgetting to fill my stocking last year when he somehow remembered to fill my hubby's and our dog's :) hehe....I'm cruel....
ReplyDeleteFor my workouts, I haven't been good this week at doing them, but that stops tonight! I'm getting in a good run tonight & Saturday for sure. I hope to get in 3+ workout DVDs tonight-Saturday, too. Last chance workout! Chin up, girls, every day's a fresh day!
I had a great workout last night! It's kind of funny how it ended up happening. I got on my elliptical and planned for a regular routine stint. After I finished that, I decided I'd keep going until Dave got home. He was due any minute and I didn't have to start dinner until he got home. Well, he was late! -very late! I ended up doing my longest workout ever on "the machine". It was awesome :)
ReplyDeleteWay to go Meghan and Amy! I'm loving all your inspiring stories! And to think you're accomplishing these workouts during the holiday season-blows me away! :)
ReplyDeleteI'm going to go sculpt something... but to be honest, I'm afraid. :)
Way to go ladies! I wasn't going to workout today but after reading all the amazing work you are all doing I did my kbell carido balance workout! I am sweaty!! I ran monday and wednesday then tuesday did my strength training and elipitical workout which I will repeat friday. Then Saturday I will be doing a long distance run. Planning on breaking the into the double digits! Thank you for all your amazing positive energy and enthusiasm. You all ROCK!!!
ReplyDelete