12/16/09

Whatcha Eatin' Wednesday?

Good morning, gals!  What yummy snacks and recipes have you been trying this week???  Check out this article from Runners World magazine: Food for Thought.   What's your take away?  For me, I need to really think plants first instead of thinking of them as sides... I love that emphasis, and it also goes hand in hand with his other point later on about not fretting on nutrient percentages, etc.  Eat mostly whole grains, beans, & veggies, and you're getting enough carbs & protein.  I grew up with a big meaty something-er-other being the centerpiece of the meal and everything else just sides.  It wasn't a meal if there wasn't a big meat-centered dish.  I want to fight that tendency, though, and I want to follow this article's advice of thinking plants first.  What do you think?  Do you have or can you find any recipes that are meat-light?

4 comments:

  1. I like the brussel sprout slaw & steak salad that I've posted before on here. We're having steak salad tonight! Yummy and super easy- mainly spinach, onion, mushrooms, tomatoes, feta, lemon juice, walnuts, & 2 petit steaks sliced.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here are 2 "comfort foods" that are actually good for you and go perfectly on this cold day. I got this from Cooking Light. Yum.

    Homemade Tomato Soup with Grilled Turkey Sandwich

    Soup: sauté 4 cloves garlic in 1 t olive oil. Add 2 cans undrained diced tomatoes, 1 14-oz can chicken broth, 1 T. balsamic vinegar, ½ t black pepper. Simmer 10 minutes. Puree. Garnish with parsley if desired.

    Sandwiches: Mix 1 T. light mayo with 1 t. Dijon mustard. Spread on 4 slices of bread, topped with (in order) 2 slices meat, 1 slice low fat or light cheese, 2 slices tomato, other piece of bread. Toast in pan coated with cooking spray for about 4 minutes or until cheese is melted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to go back and read the article, but I wanted to share this link to muffing recipes from Women's Health.

    http://www.womenshealthmag.com/healthy-muffin-recipes-to-fight-off-sickness?cm_mmc=Newsletter-_-2009_Dec_15-_-Dose-_-MainImageLink

    I'm going to try the carrot-ginger bran muffins!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked this article. I was confused for many years about the difference between processed food and real food. It wasn't until I started eating real food and realized how much better I feel, that I stopped with the processed food.

    2 summers ago I decided to give community supported agriculture a try. Each week (or every other) you get a share of vegetables from the farm you join. It's not cheap, but I work for my share. Once a week, Mid June - Oct, I drive out to Vermont Valley Farm between Mt Horeb and Black Earth and work for 4 hours. I take home the freshest veggies you can get your hands on. I'm now a veggie snob and have trouble buying veggies at the store. As a result, I eat more seasonally now.

    Don't get me wrong, I like a frozen pizza now and then and I made Meat Lasagna for dinner tonight. I'm not a total veggie freak! I am just more interested in cooking and trying new recipes than I used to be.

    By the way, I loved the Meatloaf in a Mug from last week!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.