6/16/10
Whatcha Eatin' Wednesday
Good morning, girls! I hope you're off to a great start! (and if you're not, today's the day to begin fresh!)
On Wednesdays we share recipes, snack ideas, etc. Whatcha been eatin'???
I'd love to hear about your substitutions today.
Hankering for pizza? What's your healthy subsitute- half an english muffin w/ a spoonful of marinara sauce & a pinch of fat-free cheese, toasted a few mins under the broiler until hot & bubbly?
Hankering for ten pounds of pasta? What's your healthy substitute- a small portion of pasta with loads of veggies tossed in it (primavera) so it gives you the illusion of a huge plate of pasta and fills you up, but is much healthier and lower calorie?
Hankering for ice cream? What's your healthy subsitute- pureed frozen berries or melon w/ a packet of Truvia or Splenda sprinkled on it & some lime juice (extremely low calorie sorbet look-a-like), or a Skinny Cow or Weight Watchers ice cream treat?
Hankering for chocolate? What's your healthy subsitute- cup of fresh berries drizzled with a tablespoon of melted dark chocolate chips?
Hankering for potato chips? What's your healthy substitute- homemade sweet potato fries- sliced raw sweet potato drizzled w/ olive oil, laid out on cookie sheet, sprinkled w/ cinnamon & Truvia/Splenda, and baked at 400 for about 20 mins until cooked through?
Check out this Oprah article for healthy subsitute ideas- some of them are no-brainers, but the swapping powdered milk out for 1/4 of the sugar in recipes was a cool idea I'd never heard before!
On Wednesdays we share recipes, snack ideas, etc. Whatcha been eatin'???
I'd love to hear about your substitutions today.
Hankering for pizza? What's your healthy subsitute- half an english muffin w/ a spoonful of marinara sauce & a pinch of fat-free cheese, toasted a few mins under the broiler until hot & bubbly?
Hankering for ten pounds of pasta? What's your healthy substitute- a small portion of pasta with loads of veggies tossed in it (primavera) so it gives you the illusion of a huge plate of pasta and fills you up, but is much healthier and lower calorie?
Hankering for ice cream? What's your healthy subsitute- pureed frozen berries or melon w/ a packet of Truvia or Splenda sprinkled on it & some lime juice (extremely low calorie sorbet look-a-like), or a Skinny Cow or Weight Watchers ice cream treat?
Hankering for chocolate? What's your healthy subsitute- cup of fresh berries drizzled with a tablespoon of melted dark chocolate chips?
Hankering for potato chips? What's your healthy substitute- homemade sweet potato fries- sliced raw sweet potato drizzled w/ olive oil, laid out on cookie sheet, sprinkled w/ cinnamon & Truvia/Splenda, and baked at 400 for about 20 mins until cooked through?
Check out this Oprah article for healthy subsitute ideas- some of them are no-brainers, but the swapping powdered milk out for 1/4 of the sugar in recipes was a cool idea I'd never heard before!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



































Oh Yum! I am going to try some of these. I have been craving something crunchy so I bought an air popper from St. Vincent then I sprinkle with water to give it the butter look. The kids haven't even said anything!
ReplyDeleteI also read on MFP forum that you can take over ripe bananas freeze them then puree and it taste like ice cream. Has anyone tried this?? I like the pureed berry idea.
This isn't a substitute food but it is something I'm ingesting.... ;) I started taking my vitamins again (I've been forgetting forever!) and I'M REALLY NOTICING A DIFFERENCE! My energy levels are up, and I'm feeling so much better! I can actually get to the end of the day and feel like I still have energy to do something while the kids are in bed instead of just crash. Take your vitamins everyone!
ReplyDeleteSarah! These look so yummy!!
ReplyDeleteMy substitutions . . . let's see . . .
I LOVE Arnold sandwich thins as a substitute for sliced bread for sandwiches and toast. (Those have been mentioned b4 on here though.)
I use Splenda as a sub for sugar and am very happy with it.
My favorite sub is Jenny O's turkey burgers. They are fabulous and we've been going through them like hotcakes this grilling season. A turkey burger on a sandwich thin with tons of lettuce and a little ketchup and mustard soothes any burger craving.