6/17/10

Feel the Burn Thursdays

Good morning, girls! First of all, good luck to Mini Me, Meghan, & Marianne who are running their half marathon this weekend! Go, girls, go!  I'm so excited for you! Looks like it's going to be gorgeous weather for it, too.

So Thursdays is the day that we share what workouts we've been up to.  So, ladies, how have you been sweating?!?

If we just cut calories alone, we'll lose weight.  But if we cut calories AND workout, not only will we accelerate our weight loss, but we'll also build and maintain more muscle, making it mostly fat in the weight that we lose.  Not working out during the process means that a good portion of the weight you're losing is muscle-weight :(  And we need our strength! 

Something else I've been thinking of personally is being sure to get in enough water!  Not drinking enough water will cause you to feel tired, sluggish, fatigued, irregular (mm hmmm), and to have headaches.  So drink up plenty of the good stuff, girls :)  I've posted this before, but here's a link to a calculator for how much YOU should be drinking each day.  And, if you're drinking gallons and gallons a day, that could be a red flag for a health condition, so see your doctor on that, too.  Should just be a normal, healthy amount of water intake :) 

BTW- Thanks for the vitamin reminder, Nicki!  I hope you're all taking vitamins!  Doesn't have to be the expensive GNC, etc. kind.  Just the plain old over the counter multivitamin kind at Wal-mart do the trick!   I'm a personal fan of the Target store brand multivitamin w/ an extra Calcium pill & an extra Vitamin D pill (so 3 total vitamins a day) based on that being exactly what my physician recommended due to my own personal deficiencies.  Next annual physical you have, get a FULL blood screening (not just the bare minimum) to show ALL your vitamins & minerals.  Then go off your physician's recommendations for what you should be taking & how much.  Being deficient in nutrients and vitamins can make you feel sluggish for sure!  This article reviews multivitamins and indicates that the store brand vitamins (like Target-brand or Wal-mart-brand) are among the highest in quality!
"more than 90 percent of women in their 20s, 30s, and 40s don't meet their vitamin and mineral requirements through diet alone -- and you need that multi even more if you exercise. "Vigorous workouts raise your body's vitamin and mineral requirements, so it's practically guaranteed that you won't get enough nutrients from food....""

So share what workouts you've been doing, ladies!!!

6 comments:

  1. So I have to share my workout situation last Saturday. I knew it was going to rain so I got up early and headed out on what was suppose to be a very long run. A few miles in and it got really dark started down pouring with lighting and thunder!! I was running on a very wooded path and got freaked out. Called my husband and had him come pick me up at the next road crossing. Once I got in the car I heard we were under a tornado watch! I guess I will have to look more closely at the forecast before heading outside again : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scary story MIni Me! I remember going for a run once on the Military Ridge Trail in Madison and not paying attention to the time. I went out about 2 miles and realized it was getting dark so I turned around. Yeah, it got dark real fast and a huge portion I was running in blackness! The tunnels I had to go through were the worst! :) Scary stuff! :) So this week I've been running, rowing (I haven't done that for about a year, and it felt great!) I also swam laps, something I've never done, so that was interesting. :) I'm sooooo not a swimmer, but I got a good workout. I can stay afloat, but I can't stand having my face in the water, oh well, it was fun. :) Good luck to you Half-Marathon ladies!!! I'm so jealous ladies! If I hadn't moved I would have definitely been joining you! You're all going to do GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you're safe, Mini-Me! Nicki, I ran into that same issue once on that same trail!!! Have to say, I was so spooked that I had an incredibly fast pace! Haha..... I'm hyper-fearful that there's a rapist in every shrub when night falls.... so I refuse to run at night :) And I'm impressed with the swimming! Did you join a club?
    I haven't been super active this week. I'm PMS'ing and battling motiviation to be completely honest, but on Tuesday I did do a 40 mile bike ride. My furthest ever. Felt awesome. I have workouts planned for tonight (2 hot yoga classes), Saturday (long bike ride & 1 hot yoga class), & Sunday (1 hot yoga class). I've just got to stick with them! I started on Wednesday night my 9 week hot yoga instructor training class and so I've got LOTS of hot yoga to do- 200 hours worth! I'll be one detoxified skinny yogi when I'm done :) Foot still isn't facilitating running, but I'm trying to fulfill that endorphin need through biking- not quite the same- but I'm trying :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha that was fun to read some running "ghost stories".

    Nicki and Sarah, you guys are full of interesting exciting workouts! It's fun to read what you're doing and get some vicarious variety.

    This week I've been resting, hoping for some strong light legs sat, but missing working out hard. I know I gained weight, so I'll have to quick get back into it next week.

    I have a question about long runs/race day. I happen to ALWAYS have to pee near the end of a 6+ mile run. And if it's a longer run (8+ miles) I have to pee 2ce. How am I supposed to stay hydrated and not have to stop at the restrooms all the time? It's probably more importand to get the fluids, right? Than worry about the time of stopping. I'm not expecting a great time or anything, but I certainly don't need any hold ups - I go slow enough on my own =).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marianne, you're too cute :) I wouldn't worry about it. Stop as much as you need to. That's a horrible sensation to be running and have a full uncomfortable bladder! Now, I don't usually have that problem, I usually have to stop around mile 15 to lose 10 lbs :) And that kills a couple minutes. So a few 30 second pee breaks are no big deal!!! Take care of yourself. Don't take it too seriously. It's about enjoying the journey. Relax, smile, chat with people around you, encourage people you pass, thank spectators and aid station workers, take Nicki's advice to look up at the sky and smile at the sunshine :), and soak it up! The time will go by fast! Let that race-day adrenaline seep into every fiber of your being. Dig deep into who you are and all that you've accomplished- you are incredibly strong and courageous women- your path in life has taken you to that exact starting line on that particular day to carry out what you're meant to be carrying out- and that's your AWESOMENESS! ROCK IT, GIRLS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to drink more water than I have been according to the calculator. Maybe that's some of my sluggishness....

    The vitamin article was very interesting. I'm with Nicki. I feel it if I forget my vitamins in the morning. If you are wondering about the quality of your vitamins, put it in a glass of water. If it doesn't dissolve in 30 min in the water, it's likely it's not dissolving or absorbing in your stomach either.

    If you are considering adding an iron supplement, be aware that iron is VERY constipating and can turn your stool black, so don't be surprised. Instead of adding iron I would suggest having your hemoglobin checked by your doctor. If it's normal, you don't need the extra supplement. Here's a link from a quick goole search to foods high in iron. http://www.weightlossforall.com/iron-rich-food.htm

    This week's exercise didn't really start until Wednesday due to the work schedule (I've gotta get rid of the job, it really gets in the way!). Wednesday I did an easy bike with a friend (it wasn't easy for her) Then we did yoga. Thursday I did an open water swim and biked. It was the same route as 2 weeks ago, this time I only had to walk up 1 hill!!! Friday was a double yoga day, hot then yin. Today I'm going to run over to the dog park and meet Tim and the boys, maybe some yoga later. Tomorrow double yoga again (Tim's coming to the second class, it's a special yin aroma class for 2 hours and 15 min) and perhaps a bike to the union to meet my dad for father's day.

    Beautiful weather here in Wisconsin so far today! Enjoy your weekend everyone!!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.