3/17/10
Whatcha Eatin' Wednesday
Good morning, girls! Happy St. Patrick's Day!!!!!!!!
What have you been eating lately? Share great ideas w/ us for snacks, meals, treats, etc.
I just read this Runner's World article about Weight Loss Myths. Great info! Another testament that our MFP & reduced calorie diet of dropping lbs really slowly but steadily is the healthiest way to do it! And the picture that goes w/ the article made me laugh out loud :)
The info about the "fat burning zone" on treadmills/ellipticals was news for me. Up the intensity, gals :)
The myth about lifting light weights with higher reps was interesting, too. We can strength train like MEN and b/c of our reduce calorie diet, we'll never bulk up or get disgusting looking- we'll just get toned faster. Yay!
I love how it says you can't deprive yourself of "bad foods" but just keep things steady w/ your daily caloric intake goal. And how bingeing on the weekends can undo all your weekday hard work, again, just keep things steady w/ your daily caloric intake goal. And mini-meals, it's pointless if you don't keep things steady w/ your daily caloric intake goal.
I like the "a calorie is a calorie no matter when you eat it" part.
There are a lot of recipes in there, too. OK, sorry, I know it's a long article. It's good, though!
Share what yummies you've been eating or what you've got planned ahead of you!
What have you been eating lately? Share great ideas w/ us for snacks, meals, treats, etc.
I just read this Runner's World article about Weight Loss Myths. Great info! Another testament that our MFP & reduced calorie diet of dropping lbs really slowly but steadily is the healthiest way to do it! And the picture that goes w/ the article made me laugh out loud :)
The info about the "fat burning zone" on treadmills/ellipticals was news for me. Up the intensity, gals :)
The myth about lifting light weights with higher reps was interesting, too. We can strength train like MEN and b/c of our reduce calorie diet, we'll never bulk up or get disgusting looking- we'll just get toned faster. Yay!
I love how it says you can't deprive yourself of "bad foods" but just keep things steady w/ your daily caloric intake goal. And how bingeing on the weekends can undo all your weekday hard work, again, just keep things steady w/ your daily caloric intake goal. And mini-meals, it's pointless if you don't keep things steady w/ your daily caloric intake goal.
I like the "a calorie is a calorie no matter when you eat it" part.
There are a lot of recipes in there, too. OK, sorry, I know it's a long article. It's good, though!
Share what yummies you've been eating or what you've got planned ahead of you!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)































Cat's out of the bag & I'm moving to Colorado! I am excited for the "waiting" anxiety to be finished and I'm really excited for all the fun outdoorsy things I'll get to do this summer. Also VERY glad to not have to keep this stress and secrets all bottled up inside anymore. Very freeing to get it all out there & in the open! More craziness will ensue. I leave WI on the 10th of April (hubby staying behind till mid May)! But I'm pumped up, excited, thrilled, rocking the food and exercise this week, and just blowing my excuses out of the water.
ReplyDeleteSo that makes me, Jen R, & Mini Me all pulling off moves in the Month of April, right!? And Heidi shortly thereafter? Sounds like a great workout! ha! I feel like we should come up w/ a box-packing and squat routine, or at least a packing playlist ;)
As far as what I've been eating lately, I made the Polynesian Chicken recipe last night that I posted on here last week. I cooked it up (made 4 servings) and immediately dished 2 servings into tupperware and put in the fridge, then sat down to dinner. This strategy helps me not eat too much and it means I've got lunch ready for the next day.
Tonight I plan on making the Ginger-Glazed Chicken Breasts w/ Carrots recipe. I actually don't have that w/ me here but I'll look it up later on tonight and post it. It's yummy :)
Friday night I plan on making Salmon & cauliflower. I buy the No Name brand box of frozen salmon fillets that come already seasoned and individually wrapped. I pop 4 of those frozen in a glass covered pyrex baking dish w/ a frozen bag of cauliflower poured over the top of it, then bake for 40 minutes. It comes out perfect. The cauliflower is steamed, the salmon is cooked all the way through (comes w/ a built in plastic pop-up timer in each fillet). Really seasoned well. The terriyaki flavor is the best. I'm hoping to switch to some wild caught hallibut or salmon fillets from Costco/Sam's Club soon, just to get a little healthier and more wholesome.
Snacks lately have been:
-Mini babybel cheese w/ triscuits
-Greek yogurt, honey flavored
-Archer Farms Organic Fruit Strips (just got these for the first time over the weekend in 2 flavors, strawberry & pommegranate, only 45 calories for each fruit strip, it's like a fruit roll up kind of, but the ingredient list is pretty darn awesome)
-Pacific rose apple w/ 2 T of peanut butter
For breakfasts I took your advice and checked out chocolate cheerios! Yum! I've enjoyed every morning this week a bowl of chocolate cheerios (one 3/4 cup serving) with a sliced banana over the top, and a 1/2 cup skim milk.
Over the weekend I worked a bit more on my recipe scrapbook and found these 2 good recipes to share today that I've loved in the past:
ReplyDeleteGarlic Lime Chicken
From Erianne (my sis in law)
Makes 6 Servings
· 1 teaspoon salt
· ¾ teaspoon black pepper
· ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
· 1 teaspoon garlic powder
· ½ teaspoon onion powder
· ½ teaspoon thyme
· 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
· 2 tablespoons butter
· 2 tablespoons olive oil
· 4 tablespoons lime juice
· ½ cup 99% fat free chicken broth
Mix together the first 7 ingredients. Sprinkle mixture on both sides of chicken breasts.
In a skillet, heat butter and olive oil together over medium heat. Sauté chicken until golden brown, about 5 minutes on each side. Remove chicken and add lime juice and chicken broth to the pan, whisking up the browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Keep cooking until the sauce as reduced slightly. Add chicken back to pan to coat with sauce and serve.
Per Serving: 216 calories, 11.3 g fat, 26.7 g protein
Goat Cheese, Carmelized-Onion, & Spinach Quesadillas
From Fitness Magazine
Makes 4 Servings
· 1 tablespoon olive oil
· 2 cups thinly sliced onion
· 1 teaspoon sugar
· ¼ teaspoon salt
· 9 ounces baby spinach
· 4 ounces semisoft goat cheese
· 4 8” multi grain low carb tortillas
· 2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
Heat the oil in a large skillet over med-high heat. Add the onion, sugar, & salt; stirring occasionally, until onion is a dark golden brown. Remove from pan. Add the spinach and 1 tablespoon water to the skillet; cook 2 mins, or until spinach is just wilted. Remove from skillet and turn off heat. Spread a quarter of the goat cheese on each tortilla and top w/ tomato, onion, and spinach. Fold closed and press lightly. Heat the skillet and place two folded quesadillas in it; cook two minutes per side, or until golden brown and lightly crisp. Repeat.
Per Serving: 234 calories, 9.3g fat, 12.75g protein
Sarah, so sorry to hear you will be leaving us here in Madison :(, but happy for you to be moving to Colorado :)- what an awesome place to live!
ReplyDeleteI don't have any new recipes to share, but I do have something I'd like to mention in relation to Wednesday's food topic . . .
I recently started a new job that forces me to get up hours earlier than I previously did. At first, I was very concerned about my food intake, b/c I just couldn't get by on the same amount of food as I did before when I was sleeping longer. I was very happy to discover that I can eat a bit more and still be at a low enough caloric level to lose weight! My body seems to be burning more calories during my working hours (it is an "on your feet all shift" job) to afford me some extra food. Interesting. I'm grateful!
I made some muffins this week and I usually use applesauce in place of the oil, but I was out. So I substituted some crushed pineapple and it was fabulous! It added some texture and made the muffin so sweet. I could have cut out some of the sugar! So I am glad I ran across this little tip!
ReplyDeleteI also made a quick meal last week that was so yummy! I cooked bowtie pasta (you can use whole wheat) with some sliced zucchini. I added one chopped tomato and 1 cup of artichoke hearts and 1/2 cup of pesto.It was fabulous! You can add chicken for additional protein.
I don't have any new recipes to share, I'm still stuck on my Turkey Avocado Quesadilla! YUM!!! I'm having one today as a matter of fact! :)
ReplyDeleteBut one of my biggest motivations with food (I'm combining tuesdays and wednesdays post haha) has been the MyFitnessPal... I didn't log the food I was eating in the past challenges I've participated it, and I'm trying to do this every day! It keeps me focused on not going over my calorie intake... PLUS, the BEST thing is when I finish the day and click the button to 'complete today's entry' - it say, 'if everyday is like this you'll weigh .... in 5 weeks!' AWESOME! That is great motivation for me! Now, it's getting down to where I want my goal weight to be! Anyway, I had to plug it, cause it's great!
I had an "ah ha!" moment in the middle of the night last night (or maybe its a "duh" moment for some of you. ;) ) I know I emotional eat & sometimes I justified it because I just wanted to feel better. Well... after a night of (knowingly) emotionally pigging out on junk, I realized that I didn't feel good physically and really I didn't feel good EMOTIONALLY either! So why am I eating when I'm upset? So now I'm on a mission to find something to do when I'm upset that will actually make me feel better... I'm thinking it's probably exercising or something... ;)
ReplyDeleteSarah, how exciting to be moving to Colorado! What area will you be moving to? I was born in Denver and also lived in Colorado Springs for 5 years. You will absolutely love it! It actually reminds me a lot of Utah with the big beautiful mountains like Pikes Peak...gorgeous! Oh and if you love hiking, you will have to go to the Garden of the Gods. It has beautiful rock formations and lots of trails. So excited for you! Keep us posted! :)
ReplyDelete