3/18/10

Feel the Burn Thursday

Good morning, sunshiney sistas!

I hope the reason you're all a little quiet on the blog this week is because you're OUT enjoying the gorgeous SuNsHiNe :)  It's ok, I'm just teasing, I know life's busy.

So yesterday's article had a TON of exercise info in it, too, not just food info.  So if you haven't checked it out yet, I highly recommend it! 

Here's another valuable article, this one from New York Times.  Read it all the way through as it may seem a bit pessimistic if you don't complete it. 

"When you diet without exercising, you lose both muscle and fat, which is counterproductive because muscle loss significantly lowers your basic metabolic rate, the number of calories your body uses at rest."

"The more muscle groups involved in your activities, the more calories you are likely to burn."

What do you guys think of the article?  What workouts have you done this past week and what do you have planned for this weekend?  Share your successes with us!!!!!!

I researched a bunch of online reviews for a running leash for me & the pup, and found the highest rated one was called the Buddy System.  I picked one up at a store here (Bad Dog Frida on Atwood Ave in Madison) on Tuesday night and had a great run w/ the pup on Tuesday night and Wednesday night.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!  I love that it's a leash that allows the pup to move from my left side, to my right side, etc. and it slides around my waist.  I love that you can adjust it to be pretty short so that the pup is forced to stay right next to you.  I love that my hands are free and my gait isn't leaning to one side like w/ a typical leash.  Fantastic! 

7 comments:

  1. So Monday night I did my FIRST CHIN-UP! Pretty proud of my former-weakling self!

    Tuesday night I ran 1 mile. Wednesday night I ran 1 mile.

    I'm hoping to run tonight and Saturday morning.

    The road bikes are getting tune ups (mine needs fresh tires) tomorrow and so I'll be ready to ride outside soon! Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SOOO glad it is so sunny and warm! It really has been great for my brain and body! I haven't exercised outside yet, but the morning sun is very motivating to get UP and GO!
    For this challenge I have started Yoga! At first I was like, this is doing nothing... but after 3 weeks, I can really feel the BURN as I do those Warrior and sun god poses! wow.. .my legs really better look great after this! haha!
    I have also started doing the 'hip hop abs' video at home almost every day - since my belly, butt and thighs are what I am most disgusted with! hahah! So far, my legs and butt and abs DO burn when I do this, but it's fun because I love to dance! The most motivating part of the whole video is when the guy says, "you're gonna look so cute in your jeans!!!" ahhaa! Yes... I wanna look great in my jeans! haha! Well, have a great day everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. BIKING!!!!!! I just took my dog out for our first bike ride and it took him a little while to get back into the groove but we had a blast. We only did a little over a mile today but plan on increasing it over time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed the article. There are so many factors to consider if you want to track your calorie burn closely. I've never given much thought to the calories we burn when we're not working out. Interesting.
    I'm happy to report that I made my first venture out on the local trail yesterday! There are still snow patches and muddy spots, but it was still great! The dogs loved it too. I'm looking forward to more days on the trail. Thanks for the awesome tip for a good dog leash for running Sarah! I'm definitely going to check that out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, I'm just posting now because the shock of losing Sarah, my scrap mania buddy, was just too much. J/K.

    Actually, I have been outside trying to get my bike fixed and I think I'm ready to go! It only took me all week to solve the problems, just in time for it to get cold again for awhile. I'm excited for all of us doing the bike thing... that's one of the biggest reasons I lost 70lbs when I was on my mission!

    In other news, I've been slacking on actual exercise this week, but I'm adjusting my attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarah, how much did the buddy system run you and Frank?

    ReplyDelete
  7. well guess what, Sarah! I'm feeling your excitement... I did my first chin-up since high school today at the park on the monkey bars! I've got to get out and fit some hard core workouts in though, not only jump around on the playground with the kids =) - this article was inspiring.

    And is there a triathalon in anyone's sights? I would love to train for one with anyone who is interested - even if it's long-distance buddyship =).

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.