your great results and hard work this past week.
Keep that great high and momentum to move forward. THIS time is
different. I swear. Think about what hasn't worked in your past with
attempts to lose weight. That knowledge is equal in importance with
what TO do to lose weight successfully and with long-term results and
health in mind.
Now think about the new skill you're learning. No deprivation diets.
No fad eat this and never eat this. Just cutting down calories and
working out as much as it works into your shedule. Just burning more
than you consume. Doing it at a slow and healthy rate that is going to
make the change more lasting and life-long.
You should all be so proud of yourselves! You've made real progress
this week! YOU know yourselves and you can shed away the pounds of
curtains that are drawn over you.
Check out this article: http://weightloss.about.com/od/weightloss101/a/101lesson10.htm
Did anything in there apply to you? I particularly liked the concept
of pushing and peer pressure. That's hard for me. Good reminders are
in this article for all of us. Share your thoughts on it with us, or
other motivational tips!!!!
I hope you all have a phenomenal day!!!!






























I liked what you said about BELIEVING that this time, it is different. We can achieve our goals THIS time.
ReplyDeleteFor me, I think, I've come to realize that I had to convince my mind that my body could do this. It's not just a physical block, it's a mental block I'm working through.
I'm kind of embarrassed to admit this to all of you mega-runners, but I had a really hard time running for any considerable amount of time. Like, I couldn't run for 5 minutes straight. At the gym, I would do 30 minutes on the treadmill, but I would only run for a few minutes and then walk for a few minutes and then run and then walk, etc. For a long time, I told myself that my inability was because I was overweight, or because I wasn't in good shape, or because I've had knee surgery, blah, blah, blah. But truthfully, those were just convenient excuses.
Then, a few weeks ago, on the Biggest Loser, they highlighted the contestants running for 5 minutes straight. And they talked about what a huge accomplishment that was for them. And I was like, "Okay, Leslie, if they can run for 5 minutes straight; you can run for 5 minutes straight. There should be no excuses."
And so I did. I ran for 5 minutes, walked 5 minutes, ran 5, walked 5-- for 30 minutes! I was ecstatic! And the next time I went to the gym, I ran 7, walked 3-- repeated x3 for the 30 minutes. And the next week, I upped it to run 8 minutes, walk 2-- x3. It was awesome. And I was tremendously surprised at myself. But it wasn't that I became this running athlete overnight-- it was my mind that changed!!
I'm realizing that accomplishing these physical goals requires getting past that mental barrier. I'm constantly convincing my mind that I can do it. And I can thank each of you for inspiring me by accomplishing your goals-- I'm very motivated by that. The support we give to each other is awesome. I really need it. Thank you!
YAY, Leslie!!! 8 minute running intervals? That's incredible! Wow, your progress is really inspiring. Thanks for sharing with us all. Amy C. has a similar story I think- if she doesn't mind me putting her on the spot ;)- she went from couch to quarter marathon this past fall and this winter. And now she's going to rock a sprint triathalon this summer! You guys excite me & get me so charged up to fantastic things :) Remember to celebrate every victory over old habits or mental hinderances! Be proud of yourselves and each step you take that gets you closer to your goals!
ReplyDeleteOh, and Leslie, BTW, doing running intervals like that (8 mins running and 8 mins walking and 8 minutes running) will blast calories really efficiently! Avoiding a steady rhythm & keeping your muscles hopping and confused will burn more calories :) GREAT GREAT GREAT JOB! There's a link on the left sidebar here for various interval workouts, whether you want to do treadmill, outside, elliptical, indoor bike, etc.
ReplyDelete(can ya'll tell I'm working backwards through the week? sorry about that...)
ReplyDeleteTuesday was hard because I had not motivation, I knew I had none & I chose not to do anything about it. And guess what, its not a good feeling to know I chose that. So I share this in the hopes that someone else will read it and choose to push through and motivate themselves, because it'll feel soooo much better!
The article was a good reminder. Mostly its a good reminder that when I let go, I tend to be a emotional eater. The difference in my life now is I know I am, so when I get that "sorry for myself" feeling, I can hopefully change my habits. It doesn't mean the urge to eat goes away, it just means I can handle it better if I choose to do so. Life is about choices. :)