3/12/10

Feel Good Friday

Good morning, girls!  I hope you all make it a fantastic weekend ahead of you :) 

Remember, even if things aren't going as you want them to go, BE POSITIVE!  I was reminded of this last night when I was talking to the beloved Marin and I realized my voice coming back to me was annoying!  No matter what stress or inner hurricanes I've got going on, whining & complaining doesn't improve anything.  It brings you AND whoever's listening to you down.  So be proactive!  Actually DO something to improve yourself or your situation- BE POSITIVE! 

#s 6, 7, & 8 are so great :)   Alright, gals, let's all make a positive comment today on this post, something to rah-rah us all up to make it a phenomenal weekend!

11 Benefits of Being Positive by Jon Gordon


Over the years I've done a lot of research on the positive effects of being positive and the negative affects of being negative. The research is clear. It really does pay to be positive and the benefits include enhanced health and longevity, happiness, career advancement, athletic performance, team building and financial success. Being positive is not just a nice way to live. It’s the way to live. In this spirit here are 11 benefits of being positive.

1. Positive People Live Longer - In a study of nuns, those that regularly expressed positive emotions lived on average 10 years longer. (The Nun Study)

2. Positive work environments outperform negative work environments. (Daniel Goleman)

3. Positive, optimistic sales people sell more than pessimistic sales people. (Martin Seligman)

4. Positive leaders are able to make better decisions under pressure. (Heartmath.org)

5. Marriages are much more likely to succeed when the couple experiences a 5 to 1 ratio of positive to negative interactions whereas when the ratio approaches 1 to 1, marriages are more likely to end in divorce. (John Gottman)

6. Positive people who regularly express positive emotions are more resilient when facing stress, challenges and adversity. (Several Studies)


7. Positive people are able to maintain a broader perspective and see the big picture which helps them identify solutions where as negative people maintain a narrower perspective and tend to focus on problems. (Barbara Fredrickson)


8. Positive thoughts and emotions counter the negative effects of stress. For example, you can't be thankful and stressed at the same time. (Several Studies)

9. Positive emotions such as gratitude and appreciation help athletes perform at a higher level. (Heartmath.org)

10. Positive people have more friends which is a key factor of happiness and longevity. (Robert D. Putnam)

11. Positive and popular leaders are more likely to garner the support of others and receive pay raises and promotions and achieve greater success in the workplace. (Several Studies)

9 comments:

  1. I just have to say that I LOVE FRIDAYS!!! They are by far my favorite day of the week. I can finally let my hair down and relax a little knowing that all of the lessons, kids activities, and meetings are done and I can take a breather. I have lunch with girlfriends, whom I adore, and just enjoy having some "me" time. It's glorious. After a good workout in the morning it's nice to not have so much to do. Enjoy your Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carla here.... I want to say something positive. I worked out for 30 minutes five days in a row this week! I'm a newbie here, so I know this may pale in comparison to others. But for me, this is amazing! Both yesterday and today I had a mini conversation with myself each morning as I debated the wisdom of staying in bed just a little longer. But in the end I pried myself out and got moving. I have felt like bragging about this to random strangers today, but I think this is the safest place to brag about this kind of thing. Hopefully I have gotten it out of my system now. Otherwise my hair dresser is going to get an earful today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally needed to hear this post! I have been MIA this week a little bit, but the POSITIVE reason why was because I was on a 2 day skiing trip with my friend! It was MAJOR inner self time, and my friend and I actually talked extensively about being a positive influence to others! I had the BEST time, and REALLY worked my leg muscles!! The best part, I was away from the everyday stresses, outside, and just felt like myself again! I think every mom would agree that you need that time to recharge... not necessarily a 2 day trip, but daily 'self-recharging'! I didn't realize how bad in need I was of it! I want my children and husband to be happy, and I know now, that if I try to be a positive influence, they will all be happier as well, and then it can come full circle and I will be happier too! Thanks for sharing the facts about positive people! They were really enlightening! Make it a great weekend everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. **Major spoiler alert**
    Valerie here-
    I am aware that a positive attitude is a good way to be in general, however it is alright and even normal to experience sadness even unhappiness when situations arise that are genuinely sad and/or unhappy. There is little evidence that positivity boosts the immune system, cures cancer, or reduces carbon emissions. Though no one can dispute that this idea does sell a lot of books. My life is not always a wonderful idyllic experience, and though I am not going to wallow in a vat of marshmellow cream and chocolate covered Twinkies, I am a bit put off by the idea that I can just think positive and thereby wish my problems away.
    The positive attitude has its merits- especially in interpersonal relationships- But it has been over-sold.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Valerie--you are right, while a positive attitude is not a solution for all problems, it can and must help with weight loss. At least I have discovered that I need to have an "I can do it attitude" about food if I'm going to make it. And I love chocolate covered twinkies--I would wallow in them:)

    Carla--WAY TO GO!! I am so proud of you.

    Have a great weight loss weekend everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So I am trying to play catch up since I haven't posted at all since Monday. It has been a crazy week but I have sure enjoyed reading everyone's inspiring comments which has helped me get through this week.

    So here is my positive contribution. I went to a Women's Day Getaway a few weeks ago and the speaker Val Baldwin shared this with us which of course I related to my weight loss journey. The author's name is Marianne Williamson who is also a spiritual lecturer. She says:

    Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
    Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
    It is our Light, not our darkness, that most frightens us.
    We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?
    Actually, who are you NOT to be?

    You are an amazing woman!
    Your playing small does not serve the world.
    There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you.
    We were born to make manifest this Light that is within us.

    It is not just in some of us--it is in everyone.
    And as we let our own Light shine,
    We unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.
    As we are liberated from our own fear,
    Our presence automatically liberates others.

    I loved this and it reminded me that if I want to change my life, I need to change the way I think!

    Have a fabulous week ladies! You are all awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
    Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure."

    Kim, I love this! I really think this is true. What a great little nugget to always keep on the shelf in the back of our minds.

    I want to say something positive today . . .
    I'M AWESOME. -not in a conceited, bragging kind of way, but in the "no, I'm TRULY awesome" kind of way. One of the reasons I'm awesome is because I'm a part of this blog. What a great decision that was so many months ago! (My first 10 in 6 was when Sarah first started this up.) Sarah already knows this, but the amount of credit I give to this blog for my weight loss successes is staggering. Currently, I am one pound away from my goal weight. I weigh 20 lbs. less now than I ever have in my life. I've never been as healthy as I am right now. As I ask myself, "Why have you been able to accomplish this weight loss goal now? Why now, when you've been trying to do this since you were 7 yrs. old?" I can't help but turn to this amazing group of women that inspire me and keep me going every day (M-F :). I get chirps on my BlackBerry all day reminding me of what I want to do for myself. It's been amazing and I'm never going to stop.

    By the way, you are awesome too b/c I couldn't have done/do it without you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Also, Carla, you workout waaaaaay more than me! Way to go with the self mini-conversations.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it's important to note that by having a positive attitude we aren't insinuating that we believe our problems will then be magically wished away. What it does do is change our frame of mind. We make different decisions because of that positive frame of mind that get us on the right track towards our goals.

    I'm a sucker for those positive thinking books because of how they make me feel. My own findings have shown me that by thinking positively they help me feel happier, motivated, more clear on how I need to fix my current "issues", stronger, and that I can take on that next big challenge when it hits me. Even if all of those findings about being positive turn out to be mere coincidence in the end, I'd take my own personal findings any day! :)

    I bet if we all posted anonymously (I'm not suggesting we do this) :) some of the hardships we've gone through in our lives, we'd be in SHOCK at how much we've all gone through and how much we've all accomplished in our lives in spite of those things! You are all AMAZING and I am lifted up daily by your strength, positive attitudes, and comments, thank you!!!! Sarah, your hard work for all of us is inspiring.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.