3/11/10

Feel the Burn Thursday

Good....afternoon :) Hehe.... oh well.....

What workouts have you done this past week and what's on the agenda for this weekend?  Are you going to take advantage of the fact that spring's right around the corner?! So close I can almost taste it!

In addition to sharing what workouts you've been up to, please also share with us what your hardest physical feat is that you've accomplished, and then how that felt.  Everyone's going to be so different- it'll be really interesting to see the responses- and I'm sure some of us will make the group laugh  :)

7 comments:

  1. Well my boys have pink eye so it looks like I will be doing some indoor trampoline jumping for another day :(.

    I am still sticking to my 30 minute run and a few ab workouts for the most part. Nothing too out of the ordinary. But I just bought a hula hoop for my son's preschool next week and I hear hula hooping gives you a killer ab workout, albeit a rather silly looking workout.

    My biggest accomplishment was a big deal for me. I never have liked running. I've always WANTED to but never got any enjoyment out of it. So last year I signed up for crazylegs on a whim. The thought of running an 8K was crazy as I have never run more than a mile before. But I started training. I started off running a half mile and increased my mileage a 1/2 mile each week. I can still remember the day I was running on a treadmill next to my husband and I ran 30 minutes straight while he had to take several breaks.

    Well on race day, despite the thunderstorm, I ran Crazylegs and it was great to feel like I had prepared and followed through with something!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So my biggest challenge has been finding time between kids to work out, and often in the last couple off weeks my soundtrack has been one of screaming children, but the last couple of days I've gotten up around 6 (not by my choice) and exercised in the 7am hr, showered around 8am and still made it to our morning activities. I'm not fond of it (I'm more of a night owl than early bird) but it works well because Bryson sleeps through it and Sariah "helps" me.

    I'm still doing the EA Active on the Wii. I realized in the last 2 days that shoulder presses really give me a good ab workout when I'm doing them right, so I'm enjoying that!

    My biggest physical feat? Well, maybe because its fresh in my mind still, but honestly, giving birth was a huge physical feat for me. My kids are big (both over 9lbs) and it takes a lot to push them out. But my first only took an hour and my second was about 25 min. It really does take some physical conditioning to have a baby, and its the best reward ever when you're done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Running and strength training again this week. Thinking of doing some speed walking on the treadmill because of my aching knees. Maybe that will help strengthen them a bit?

    So my biggest physical feat was by far carrying and giving birth to 4 big babies. Seriously, that was freaking hard, but I'm thinking that's not what you were looking for....... :) However I will say again, that was freaking hard! :)

    Besides the babies.........Last February I started a Biggest Loser contest with my extended family. $1900 in the pot and 30 participants later, I felt like I really needed to step up to the plate and get myself in action if I was in charge of the thing. While I've been an off and on runner my while life I tried to do it more consistently for the contest. I was barely running a few minutes at a time and walking the rest at the beginning. I eventually got so I could run about 4 miles without stopping but it was NOT fast! It was then that someone told me I wasn't a "real" runner because I was so new at it blah blah blah. Of course I was extremely offended even though a million apologies later I do realize he didn't really mean it how it came out. Those of you that know my husband know that he NEVER puts his foot in his mouth. Ha ha :) Either way, it really lit a fire under me. It was at that time that a group of ladies (Abrey, Valerie, and Sarah from this blog!) were talking about a 1/2 marathon they were training for. They were like, "you should do it!" :) I thought it was ridiculous when they first mentioned it but then I thought, "why not?" What better way to be able to say I was a runner?! ;) Sarah helped put together a training program that would get me there in 8 weeks! Lots of running, a leg injury in the beginning that almost made me give up, cold weather, and a million other obstacles later,,,,,,, I made it!!!! I gotta say I was FREAKED OUT the day of the race! Sarah ran with me the entire way and Valerie and her baby she was pushing in the stroller zoomed waaaay ahead of us! (Abrey had broken her ankle a few weeks earlier while we were running on a trail covered with leaves-we were sad she missed out! :) When I got to my 10 miles (the farthest distance I had ever gone) I really started to feel it and was exhausted! Sarah stayed right there with me and kept saying encouraging words, making me laugh, and kept trying to get the finish line in my head. (I'm tearing up just thinking of this) 2 hours and 24 minutes later we crossed that finish line! I honestly can't say enough about how accomplishing this physical feat has helped many aspects of my life. I learned that I CAN do anything I put my mind to! I know that line is over used, BUT IT'S TRUE! It was hard, hard, hard, but so rewarding. It helped me to want to try new hard and scary things that I never thought were "for me." While I'm still not sure I'm an official runner, I don't care so much what others label me as. I'm doing my best, and what an exciting thing to realize that my best was much more than I had realized it could be! It really is all about what goes on in your head and what you decide to do!!!! Good luck all! Thanks again for being here and pushing me daily!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all the personal inspiring stories!! I have been hitting the gym every morning but didn't go as long today since I caught my daughters cold yuck! Lots of fluids and will hit it hard tomorrow and a nice long run Saturday!!

    I think the hardest physical thing I have done was when playing volleyball in college we were at the National Tournament and in the second round I stepped on an opposing players foot and rolled my ankle. I had sacrificed a lot to go to school that year to play in hopes of achieving a national title and other personal awards. I had to decided in those few moments to give in or suck it up. I chose to suck it up and push through the pain the rest of the match and then the next day through 4 more matches. I am not sure how it happened but we as a team won the National Title and I was named an all tournament player. I don't have the words to describe the pure joy in the moment of having overcome all the challenges and succeeded.

    When I was running a race once there was a lady in front of me that had a shirt on that said "No Regrets!" I think that is the greatest feeling there is when you can honestly answer in your heart that you gave everything you had and you have no regrets. There is no question mark of what if?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, I love all of your stories! I knew there'd be a lot of childbirth in there :) but I think it's fantastically difficult and a major feat to be proud of. Good work, mommas! My most difficult feat was my first half marathon that I did in October 2008. It was an extremely hilly trail run, so hilly that at one point I had to claw my hands into the dirt of the trail to get up one portion. In retrospect, probably not a wise choice for my first half, but it was beautiful scenery and I ran it w/ Valerie, Abrey, & Sarah. We all split up pretty early, and I was waaaay in the back, one the last people, so I had a lot of time alone w/ my brain, which can be detrimental or beneficial, depending on how that brain's feeling :) This actually turned out to be beneficial. The most amazing part was around mile 10 when I was up on top of the bluffs at Devil's Lake and this crazy euphoria hit and I was so estatic and proud of the fact that I had never run 10 miles before! So yes, my body was aching, and my hips were sore and my muscles empty, but I had a dorky smile plastered on my face and wet eyes as I finished the final 4.1 (yes, this half marathon was 14.1 instead of 13.1- geesh). I was so proud of myself. I get warm fuzzies in my chest just recounting this. And I've been a lover of running ever since then :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So as I mentioned, this week has been pretty crazy but I am proud to say that I have gotten in 5 days of working out doing pilates, water aerobics, swimming laps and walking on the treadmill.

    Oh my goodness your stories made me laugh and cry! Thanks for sharing! I would have to say that my biggest physical feat (besides having 4 babies, haha) was to lose 50 lbs a couple of years ago. Once I made up my mind to do it, nothing could stop me. It felt so good because I was trying things that I had never done before like biking and running. I can remember when I ran my first 5K how awesome that felt. The only goal I set for myself was to start and finish with no expectation to place but to just finish without stopping which I did and it felt great! I have run in a few other 5K's since then and the last few years it has become a tradition to run in our Cherry Days 4th of July 5K. There is something about running with a group of people that is exhilarating!

    I'm hoping that my next physical feat is to do a triathalon. As I mentioned last week, I am training for that right now and I am scared to death of the swimming part! The triathalon is in May and I am not sure if I will be ready by then but if not there will be others and I am bound and determined to do this and as Mini Me said, "have no regrets."

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been running a little, walking a lot and doing some MAJOR house cleaning this week! My big plan is to go out for a long run tomorrow. I'm hoping the weather will cooperate.

    My biggest physical feat was difficult for me to pinpoint. Not because there's been so many, but quite the opposite. I decided that it must be the 1/4 marathon I did last January in Milwaukee. It's the longest I've ever run in a race and the fastest pace I ever had. There's definitely something about a race. -so many people and exciting events going on. I now know what a single zebra feels like running in the herd across the African plains! It's exhilerating! I'm looking forward to my 1/2 marathon coming up this spring.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.