3/4/10

Feel the Burn Thursday

Good morning, shrinking ladies!   Before talking about exercise, consider this:

"Believe" Author unknown



"You are worthy of reaching for the greatest accomplishments…And you are worthy of achieving them, no matter what other people think of you, no matter what you have done up to this point in life. You are worthy of the best.


You are unique, you are special. You are creative and effective. You have much value to offer, regardless of what anyone has told you. And no one can express that value but you. You are the person who deserves to live your dream. You are the only one who has what it takes to reach that dream.


If you can see it, if you can imagine it, if you can dream it, you are worthy of reaching it. And it is possible. No one will hand it to you. In fact, you’ll strive day and night to reach it. When you give the best you have, when you refuse to be stopped by the obstacles in your way, when you do what must be done, you’ll get what you deserve—a full, rich life that is like no other. Each day, with your thoughts and actions, live up to the fact that you are the best."

Just a little reminder for how awesome you are :) and of course I had to higlight my favorite parts of it.  You are the only one who has what it takes to reach your particular dream.  Everyday is going to be hard work, but love yourself through the journey and take joy in each day's little successes, like Kim so perfectly put yesterday. 

On to exercise!  What exercises have you done so far this week?  What's on the docket for this weekend?  Share with us and be specific so we can all get great ideas for ourselves.  "Refuse to be stopped by the obstacles in your way!"

14 comments:

  1. Good week so far with exercise! I did Body Combat on Monday and Body Vive on Tuesday and Wednesday. I'm planning to head to the gym in a little bit for my favorite water aerobics class for today. Tomorrow is my volunteer in the school day, which typically means I don't get to the gym. I still haven't figured out a solution for that. Maybe that will be my goal for tomorrow ... to figure out how I'm going to still make it to the gym after I help in the school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And of course if you ever want to change your email preferences to NOT receive emails, just let me know. I know there's a lot of emails :)

    For workouts, on Monday I ran 4 miles & did 90 minute strength training. On Tuesday I ran 2 miles & did 20 minutes strength training. On Wednesday I took a nap :) and did 45 minutes of strength training. Tonight I'm going to do 2-4 miles of running and probably a 90 minute yoga DVD. Friday I'll do an hour of strength training and no running.

    I don't belong to a gym anymore, so I just run on the treadmill at the fitness center at my office or I do strength training stuff at home w/ DVDs and my little 3#, 5#, and 10# dumbells. I'm on week 9 of P90X.

    This Saturday holds a good run w/ a sweet running group and Bikram (hot yoga) in the late afternoon. Can't wait! That's the highlight of my week :)

    C'mon, snow, melt! Sun, keep on shinin'!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I'm excited because I started Yoga this week! Monday I did Zumba, tuesday I did Yoga with my mom then the elliptical for 15 minutes. Wednesday I had to miss exercise because of a funeral. This morning I'm going to Yoga again with my mom and tomorrow I'm going to Zumba! AH! I did get on ebay and found the Hip Hop Abs videos for REALLY cheap, so I look forward to getting those and trying that out next week sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So Monday & Tuesday I used my EA Active game for the Wii to exercise. For a game, its pretty intense with all the squatting, lunging, resistance band, running in place, etc. The game has a 30 day challenge that I'm in the middle of. Yesterday was my "day off" from the game, and I'm crazy busy with my in-laws coming, but I did manage a walk around the mall pushing my double stroller & kids. Today & tomorrow I'm back to the game, then we'll see how the weekend goes.

    My bike has flat tires & I was hoping it was just a matter of replacing the intertubes or something, but I took a look at it yesterday, and it seems to be more complicated than that. I guess I'll have to try and get it to REI (where my mom bought it all those years ago...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go ladies on challenging your excuses! Looks like there's lots of sweatin going on! Well I too have had a good week so far with exercising. Monday I did water aerobics, Tuesday Pilates reformer and Wednesday water aerobics. Lately I have been thinking I want to try something new and challenging and so I am stepping outside of my comfort zone and I am thinking about doing a sprint triathalon. I know, crazy huh!! So I started my training this morning by swimming laps for a half hour and then I went to pilates to do reformer for an hour. I feel ok about the biking and running part but it's the swimming that has me concerned since I am not a very good swimmer but thankfully I have someone who is patient and who is working with me, so we'll see :) And then Friday I am going to do pilates boxing and Saturday Zumba!

    Ok so I have a question, Sarah. On Mondays blog, you said that if you workout and burn X number of calories then you eat the calories you burn to get that net calorie. So for example, MFP shows that I am supposed to be eating 1200 calories for the day and then when I logged that I did water aerobics for an hour MFP showed that I earned 254 extra calories from exercising with a total of 1454 calories. So I am supposed to eat 1454 calories? How am I going to lose weight if I do that? I thought that you only eat the extra calories if you want to maintain your weight at least that's what they taught us in Weight Watchers. Sorry, I'm just a little confused, so if you could explain that would be great!

    Oh and I wasn't sure how many calories I burned doing some of these exercises and I found this really cool website that shows all these different exercises and I put in how long I exercised and voila it showed me how many calories I burned. So here is the website http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc

    Hope everyone has a great day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. ok, i started the biggest loser bootcamp last week. i thought i was not going to survive. i've done the same bootcamp week again this week and will move on to week 2 next week and maybe add the yoga dvd that goes with it. i can't wait to be able to take a nice long walk outside!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow- you all have such FUN workouts! Makes me wanna run out & join Gold's! Maybe I'll just continue to be a cheapskate, though, and I'll go play there some Saturday w/ a free one-day pass pretending like I'm considering joining :) With a name like "Body Combat," I can picture you Cherise w/ black camo smudges on your cheeks, kicking butt in that class of Rambo women :) Go Gettum! Woohoo!

    Kim, for the eating what you burn, I think you've got it right. So if you're supposed to aim for 1200 net calories, and then you burn 254 in a workout, then the total calories you can consume that day are calculated out for you in MFP- so yes, 1454 is the total you can eat b/c it gets you to a net of 1200 calories consumed. It will help you keep your energy levels & strength levels up. If you go too much into calorie deficit, you'll feel weak, tired, and sluggish. Do you ladies have any better way of explaining that??? If it's a hundred or so, I'm sure it's not a huge deal, but just something to aim for. Don't wanna burn yourself out! Sounds like you're doing great.

    Something that I just discovered for the first time yesterday (and maybe I'm an idiot for never noticing this the last year I have been on MFP off & on) that when you're done entering in your day's stuff in MFP, if you click on the "complete entry" button at the bottom of the screen, it then will come up w/ a sentence like "If every day were like today, you'd weigh _____ lbs in 5 weeks." That was SO motivating to me yesterday! Wow! Check that out if you haven't yet :)

    You guys are all doing so awesome with your fun DVDs and gym classes, shakin' that tush!

    ReplyDelete
  8. valerie
    I am attempting to be more consistent with my workouts; specifically I have a goal to jog with the baby stroller everyday while my kids nap. This is also a significant upper body workout. My core is shot, so I need to take up some strength training. I have always wanted to have some really buff upper arms (ala michelle Obama) Perhaps the 100 pushups workout can help me with this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Marin if you live in Madison I could probably help you get the tire fixed. I have fixed a few flat tires.

    Every tues I have dance class. I love it! I have to use muscles I have never had to use before!

    I also have been spending time biking indoors. I bought a bike trainer and hooked up my bike too it so I can bike indoors and I do that in the mornings when it is cold or I don't have a lot of time. I have also been working on my situps and pushups! I just need to get into a regular routine for doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are all doing so well! -inspirational to me.
    I haven't had the best week of working out. I want to be positive in my post, so I'm telling a little story about it in case anyone else has weeks like this and might be able to try what I did ...

    I've been PMSing (so helpful for cravings and energy levels :( and it's been tough for me to get moving this week. I decided that I would try for a short run yesterday and just failed miserably during it. I got to a point where I just couldn't put one foot in front of the other anymore. I haven't hit a block like that in awhile, so , I stopped and walked the rest. I was very disappointed b/c it shouldn't have been difficult for me at ALL. I pouted and complained to my family. ~ I woke up today and decided that it was a new day and I'd go out again. This time, it was hard, but I finished my short run :) The point, NEVER GIVE UP!! The only thing that can stop us is us, so let's not stop ourselves! Bad days/weeks come and go, what matters is that the good ones outnumber the bad.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job not giving up Meghan!!! Sometimes you just have to listen to your body and give in a little.

    It's been a great workout week for me! It's not often that I can say that :)

    Sarah invited me to hot yoga on Saturday. I have been before, but it had been years. I wasn't in their computer system anymore so I have been doing the 2 week introductory offer.

    That first class was hard. I had to sit down several times and even leave the room (which is frowned upon). I felt amazing afterward.
    Monday I ran my regular 2 miles at the dog park, and then did the yin class. This class was totally different. The focus is on meditation and quieting your mind while you hold poses for a long time.
    Tuesday I did the hot class again
    Wednesday I ran 3 miles (improving my pace over the last 3 mile run). I went to hot yoga in the late afternoon and stayed for yin. Yes, that was 2 1/2 hours of yoga!
    I got my hair done and took a long nap before work to day.

    I am planning to run tomorrow, assuming I wake up at my usual 3pm after my first night of work.

    Saturday I'm planning for hot yoga at 4 and then to work. Sunday I will probably just sleep.

    Oh and the the days I don't go to yoga I'm doing some at home to stick with my goal of 90 days of yoga.

    Have a wonderful rest of your week everyone.

    Namaste

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah everybody!!! Wow, there's a lot of working out going on, that's awesome! I've been doing srength training alternating with running. In the past I found I lost more weight when I didn't exercise daily but every other day. We'll see how that works out for me. It's feeling great to feel some of those sleeping muscles again!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Way to go fabulous ladies!!! I love to workout and get all sweaty and really stinky! I feel so accomplished for the day. The gym has become my second home with strength training/ interval workout M,W,F and running T,TH long run planned for Saturday. I can't wait for the weather to warm up a little more for nice long runs outside.

    Meghan way to stick with it! Some days our bodies and minds aren't on the same tract way to persevere! You are AMAZING!!!!
    Answer for the MFP calorie counter - When you set your goals you input lifestyle, goals, activity level for the day then it gives you the estimate calories to eat before any added exercise. If you are looking to maintain then put that in your goals and you still eat what you burn the base estimated allowance is adjusted.

    I can't wait for Monday to hear everyone's success!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Val, you can push me in your jogging stroller if you want- I'll even hold one of your kiddos on my lap- that would be a killer sweet upper arm workout :) jk maybe

    Shanda, I have a bike trainer, too, but just haven't gotten on it in a month! Thanks for the reminder. I like watching a chick flick or a teen/kids flick that I've gotten on Netflix while I'm cycling on the trainer :)

    Meghan, I've gone through that exactly before. For some reason, sometimes a run just feels "wrong." Sometimes it's something I ate, sometimes I'm just too tired. You know from your first 50 steps if you're going to be able to go 1 mile or 5 miles. Your determination rocks. Maybe try to fit in a nap? Maybe your body's screaming for rest? Dunno. I've heard through a few magazines that if your body is completely and utterly exhausted, a one hour nap will do it more good than one hour of half-hearted exercise. If it's just not feeling right, try fresh the next day w/ a positive attitude and a rested body. You are so inspirational and awesome, Meghan! I hope you have many phenomenal runs in your future :)

    Amy C- you yogi you. You are awesome :) Keep bringing the peace to this blog!


    Nicki- what do you do for strength training? Good for you! And Mini Me, too! Nice job mixing up cardio & strength, girls!!!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.