So I haven't made this in a few months, but I ate this a ton in the spring. So yummy! I pulled it off the My Fitness Pal recipe forum, but I believe it is from Cooking Light originally. I added a few comments as did the MFP girl who posted it this spring.

Meatloaf in a Mug
Ingredients:
2 tablespoons 2% milk
1 tablespoon ketchup
2 tablespoons quick-cooking oats
1 teaspoon onion soup mix
1/4 pound lean ground beef (this is key- it's got to be the leanest possible so there's no grease in the cup)
Additional ketchup, optional
Directions:
In a small bowl, combine the milk, ketchup, oats and soup mix. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Pat into a microwave-safe mug or custard cup coated with cooking spray.
Cover and microwave on high for 3 minutes or until meat is no longer pink and a meat thermometer reads 160°; drain (I didn't need to drain b/c I got 98% lean meat).
Let stand for 3 minutes. Serve with additional ketchup if desired.
Yield: 1 serving.
Nutrition Facts
One serving: (calculated without additional ketchup) Calories: 248 Fat: 10 g Saturated Fat: 4 g Cholesterol: 72 mg Sodium: 440 mg Carbohydrate: 14 g Fiber: 1 g Protein: 24 g Diabetic Exchange: 3 lean meat, 1 starch.
Tips:
-"Was out of ketchup so I used cocktail sauce! Might do that permanently! The horseradish in it is great with meatloaf!"
-"Used extremely lean ground turkey and there wasn't any grease left in the bottom...so nice..."
-"Didn't trust my mugs in the microwave so I just made it in a one-cup pyrex measuring cup. Didn't look as great but it worked perfectly."
-"Think I'll quadruple this recipe and cook one mug while I line 3 other mugs with plastic wrap and freeze them. When frozen I'll bag them up and save them for a rainy day!"
Edited by ChubbyBunny on Tue 03/10/09 10:02 AM
For me, I didn't freeze them, but I did make 4 at a time (buy 1 lb ground beef or turkey & split into 4 portions), cook them all, and cover and put in the fridge. We would eat them before the end of the week. This recipe is so yummy! And it helps w/ portion control. If you've got a big family, there are also lots of recipes out there for meatloaf "muffins" or meatloaf made in a muffin tin and baked which would get accross the same portion control idea but on a family scale.
Can't wait to hear about all your yummies :)






























Bueller?
ReplyDeleteWe planted a tomatillo plant this year; we had never grown tomatillos before. Well, this one plant is yielding 100+ tomatillos. I am trying Elise's recipes, simplyrecipes.com/tag/Tomatillo. Last night I made the Chile Verde. With a scoop of brown rice, it's just under 500 calories. Yummy dinner!
ReplyDeleteOkay so this week I admit I like Jello (for that sweet snack without the guilt) and we tried this soup which I got off of recipezaar- http://www.lovedrecipes.blogspot/search?q=tortellini My family and I really liked it.
ReplyDeleteoops that link should be http://www.lovedrecipes.blogspot.com/search?q=tortellini Sorry about that ladies!
ReplyDeleteMy favorite recipe lately has been roasted veggies. It doesn't sound that great, but man it's good especially on a crisp Fall evening! It's so easy, I'm not going to type it out in recipe format. You just use as many as you like: potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots - toss them in a pan and cover with cooking spray and a little bit of Mrs. Dash or your favorite seasoning. Cover with aluminum foil and cook for 30 minutes at 425. When those are done, take as much as you like of: green pepper, mushrooms, zuchini, etc. and put it right on top of the potatoes and such. Repeat the cooking spray and seasoning. This time don't use the foil and bake it for about 20 min. I know what I'm having for dinner tonight!
ReplyDeleteSarah F., I love tomatoes :) I got some fresh heirloom cherry tomatoes (orange in color) on Saturday at the farmer's market. I'm not really sure what tomatillos are. I'll have to check them out! Linds, I completely thought your recipe post was saying you love Jello and found a tortellini recipe that had Jello in it! I'm thinking, "EWwwwww, I've gotta see this." The tortellini recipe looks yummy, though, and quite Jello-free :) Meghan, I am SO going to make that! Yum! Thanks for sharing, everyone!
ReplyDeletesorry yeah the jello and tortellini don't go together. I should have probably said that. I'm blaming mommy brain. LOL!
ReplyDeleteMy favs this week have been salads and lots of fruits and veggies. That's all I have wanted to eat! However, I am digging this meatloaf in a mug idea and plan on making some and stocking up the freezer for those days I don't feel like cooking when I get home from work!
ReplyDelete