9/24/09

Feel the Burn Thursday!


Yeah! Last Chance Workout :) Well, you're going to have lots more workouts, but ya know, amp it up in the last week of this challenge- you can do it! So what workouts are on the radar this week? Laura, have you gotten in any swims lately? Jessie, how's boot camp going? Linds, are you fitting in more-active-than-usual everyday activities w/ the girls? Nicki, I heard you got in a run last night- good for you! Kristin, how's the workout routine w/ the studying routine going? Tara, any fun classes you've done this week? Val, how have your runs been this week? Jamie, are you getting excited for your sprint triathalon coming up in two weeks? Sarah F, any fun interval walks around the neighborhood? Meghan, any more long bike rides? Shanda and Michele, have you found any "me" time amidst the busy-ness? Take care of yourselves! This picture's for you, Linds! :)

11 comments:

  1. Saturday, Tuesday, and Wednesday I ran. Tuesday I also did a zumba class. Tuesday and Wednesday I relaxed after working out in the hot tub & steam room at the gym. Nothing like crawling into bed at home like a floppy and relaxed noodle :) I'll be running on Saturday. I think I've developed the habit finally. My body craves a good workout every day. It only took 10 1/2 weeks :) I thought your body was supposed to develop habits in 6 weeks! Have any of you felt your minds or bodies develop your hard work into a habit?

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW- did you know your local library probably has some hip & with it work out DVDs? I'm not talking leg warmers & 80's toss backs. I mean stuff on infomercials. I just requested a bunch of Jillian Michaels 2009 DVDs, Tae-Bo recent DVDs, advanced zumba DVD, and all the Turbo Jam DVDs. I couldn't think of any others. Any DVDs you all like? I'm pretty far down on the waiting list, but it'll be fun when I get my email that one of them is waiting for me at the library! I own Jillian Michael's 30 day shred and Carmen Electra's strip aerobics...though I haven't done them in way toooooo long! If anyone wants to borrow them, though, let me know :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ran 11 tuesday, and followed up with 8 on wednesday. My long term goal is 10 a day, then a longer weekend run. I have decided on a goal race; a 50K(31miles) in February (yes, there will be snow). I am going to train like crazy over the winter to do this, but it is motivating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a bunch of workout dvd's if any Madison friends want to borrow them. Tae-bo, Biggest Loser workouts, Yoga, Dancing with the stars, and several more. This week I've been running and biking on my trainer. It's been awhile since I've been on my bike, so that was good! I'm soooo hoping I at least lose SOMETHING this week! My body is so weird! :) Good Luck All!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WHOA, Valerie! That's so awesome that you set a goal! You're going to have such a fit winter! Good for you! Nicole, I am trying to get buy a used trainer off Craig's List so I can bike all winter inside. I'll still be running while there's no snow, but I don't think I'm as brave as you in the tundra, Valerie :) I can't wait for the trainer! Nice job working your tail off, Nicole! Perhaps you like Meghan should try weigh-ins every two weeks due to such drastic body fluctations...something to experiment with maybe? I know you're losing weight! When we were running on Saturday I was thinking, DANG, Nicki's got one heck of a toned and trim lower body from all that cycling! Keep up the great work :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Boot camp is kicking my a. It involves 5 pound weights for arm workouts and it has been driven home that I have no upper body strength. Nor ab strength. I'm loving it though. Just what I need. Love the soreness, makes me feel I accomplished something. I think tomorrow I may do a bike ride to loosen up. It's only twice a week, so I'll fill in a day or two with running and biking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yesterday I found out that I have low blood sugar- I went to the gym around 5:45pm (pretty normal for me) and Walgreens was there giving out flu shots and if you got your flu shot they would give you a free glucose screening - so I took advantange of that I found out that my reading was 67 (the lowest it should be after fasting for 8 hours is 90). So I bought a banana from the juice bar and ate that before working out. Does anyone else have this issue?

    As far as my workouts are concerned, I've been doing a mix of treadmill workouts, spin, and the step mill with weights and floor exercises (while watching Biggest Loser).

    Also, I have a great Cannellini bean soup recipe that I have been having for dinner this whole week -

    5 cups cannellini beans (no salt added, rinsed and drained)
    4 cups diced yellow onions
    1/4 cup olive oil
    3 cloves of minced garlic
    2 sprigs of rosemary
    2 quarts of low sodium chicken stock
    1 bay leaf
    salt & pepper to tase (plus I like white pepper)

    Saute the onions in the olive oil over medium heat for about 12 minutes, add the garlic for a few minutes and then the rosemary, bay leaf, chicken stock and beans. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 40 minutes. Remove the rosemarry sprigs and bayleaf. Then take a hand blender (or use a food processor or regular blender) to puree the soup to your desired thickness. Then serve with salt and pepper to taste!

    It is super creamy and tastes a bit like potato soup - but not all of the carbs and no cream! Also, as I have been eating this huge batch bowl by bowl for the past 6 days, I've doctored it up with brocolli, peas, garbanzo beans, and pea pods.

    Sorry for such a long post - I love reading what you are all up to and hope you all have a great Thursday!!!

    -Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! Thanks Sarah- you know I DO love Miss Piggy. The past couple weeks have been hard honestly w/ me and my girls being sick. It's been the pits, but we're all getting better slowly but surely. We played around on the playground the other day- fun stuff and yes trust me it can be a work out. Tomorrow I get to mow (if you saw my yard you would believe it's a work out- takes me about 45 min- 1 hr to mow it all b/c it's pretty big).

    Here's my new workouts for this week: Dance cardio work out DVD (I borrowed from the library)- great work out. My other work out: Dancing with the stars & Dance Dance revolution (for wii). Laugh if you want to, but great work out for both (although my lack of coordination makes DDR pretty entertaining to watch). I make sure to keep my feet moving for Dancing w/ the Stars. Almost as awesome as dancing. Yes I am a dancing dork, but I LOVE dancing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE Turbo Jam Sarah! Too bad you are so far down on the list. I love their ab workout, you really start to feel it with your first workout.
    As far as workouts for this week, I haven't done to good. I have been very tired this week and with class starting next week I really wanted to try to relax this week before the craziness starts! I did do my Wednesday night Step Sculpt class and I plan on starting Jillian Michaels 30 day shred within the next couple of days, if I can muster up some energy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Sarah, for letting us know about the workout DVDs at the library. I am an avid library user, but have yet to check out non-books. I will get my name on the hold list for those!

    Also, Sarah, I told my husband I was looking for a used bike trainer on Craigslist last winter and a few weeks later he bought me one for my birthday...is your bday coming up? ;)

    Kristen, I have not taken a fasting test for blood sugar levels, but based on some incidents I had, my doctor thought I was borderline hypoglycemic. She recommended eating every two hours (kind of the mini-meals idea) and consuming a healthy amount of sodium (good sodium levels can prevent rapid drops in glucose levels). Also, have a nice distribution of protein, fat, complex carbs and simple carbs (it takes your body 8 or more hours to digest protein, 6 hr for fat, 4 hr for complex carbs, 2 hr for simple carbs). myfitnesspal is already helping you keep track of these stats. A high-protein diet has worked really well for me and I also try to eat more complex carbs, fewer simple carbs. (I consume about 20% more protein than mfp recommends.) When I feel a little shaky or light-headed, I grab a granola bar, or a handful of salted nuts and piece of fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow you guys are so full of great ideas and info! This group has been great for me!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.