8/25/09

Tuesday Sleep Check



Review your sleeping habits this past week. Are you getting enough sleep? Did you know sleep can help you lose weight? It balances two hormones which affect appetite. It also improves our mood which makes us more likely to work out. It also makes us snack less. Wow, the list just goes on and on. Check this out- it was news to me! =)

The Dream Diet: Losing Weight While You Sleep

Breaking Down Weight-Loss Barriers

Of course I wouldn't suggest napping instead of working out in most instances, but if your body is exhausted and trashed beyond belief, maybe that nap would do you more good than forcing a pathetic workout. We need to be careful to get in both workouts and sleep in adequate doses each day. A lot of studies out there tout that a good exercise routine will help you sleep better at night. So what do you ladies think? How has your sleeping been this past week? Don't want to be your nagging mom telling you when to go to bed, but just tossing it out there as a suggestion....if you want your allowance that is....jk

8 comments:

  1. I absolutley need 7-8 hours a night and I can usually get that. I am usually asleep by 11pm and my alarm goes off at 6:15. I do have to pull my share of late nights with school, and when I am running on 3-4 hours sleep, that day I am usually fine but it is the following day that I completely drag. Is that the same for anyone else? I totally agree with Sarah, while sleep is defninitely not a substitute for a workout, on the day when your body has hit a wall, taking a break from the gym in favor of a nap is a good idea. It can also help prevent injuries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think back to the 6 hrs/night of college & grad school: anxiety, lack-of-sleep stomachaches, cravings for sugary foods, definitely no workouts. I am a person that needs a lot of sleep. I now sleep 8-9 hrs every night (I know, I'm spoiled--I just thank my husband for supporting my "taking a break").
    Yes, I fall asleep better when I've exercised.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't had enough sleep at night since 2003. :) I miss the days when the only factor to getting enough sleep was to go to bed at a good hour and to sleep-in when you needed it. Yeah, those days are gone. :) While I can control when I go to sleep, the kids being awake at night I can't. Last night was a great example, all 4 were up at different times for different reasons. Lots of fun! Ok, besides my sleeping woes, I have noticed a weird trend with my body. When I exercise daily my body doesn't usually lose weight, but when I exercise every other day I do. I don't know if it has to do with body resting in between, or possibly something with the appetite? I don't know, but I'm going to try again this week to do my workouts every other day and trying to get more sleep! Congrats everyone by the way! Yeah Sarah for losing 3 pounds! Fabulous everyone! Great articles Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally need to get my 7-8 hours of sleep or I get super tired/ onry. Especially since I'm anemic and can feel tired in general, so pair that with not getting enough sleep and it's just not a good equation. I sleep A LOT better at night when I've exercised during the day. Good articles, Sarah- something we for sure need to think about!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicole & Valerie with nursing babies, notice how I didn't determine what was "adequate sleep" but just tossed it out there as a subjective measure? haha.... You guys are my heroes, the fact that you can workout AND lose weight AND eat right AND run around with kids' boundless energy all day AND not sleep soundly 7 hours in a row is NOTHING SHORT OF AMAZING! Wow! About the working out every other day, I know for a fact that the body needs the rest days to heal its muscles. It's good to either take days off of working out or to intersperse into your regimen some days that work completely different muscle groups, ie. upper body focus one day and lower body focus another day. When you work out, particularly when you're lifting any kind of weight or using resistance, you're literally tearing (microscopically) your muscle fibers. Then when they heal they're bigger & leaner. So repeating that process over and over again, you need the "recovery" or day off to let yourself heal! Not to mention high protein and a little carbs within 30 minutes after a workout can help you recover faster. Hmm....sounds like we should have a recovery discussion day coming up soon! =) You guys are all doing such a great job! Stay pumped and stay motivated! BTW, I got a great dinner picture from Michele last night of her yummy garlic chile parmesan tilapia, broccoli, and roasted potatoes served on a MINI place setting. Thanks for playing along! Is anyone else going to try the side challenge? Remember, it's 3 meals served on mini place settings by Friday to get a prize :) Michele said it totally tricked her! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've taken pictures of my dinners for the last two nights. I'm just waiting until I get all three to send them together. Using smaller plates is a trick I've been using for a long time. I just fix myself a kids size portion along with my 5 and 7 yr. olds. It works great! Since the plate is so small, I can't over fill it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry Sarah, I keep forgetting about the mini-challenge! I'll try tomorrow! Thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My challenge is that I am anemic and I am almost always tired. I have to make sure I am getting enough sleep without oversleeping which can be a challenge since some days I'm just able to pass out.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.