8/27/09

Feel the Burn Thursday!

This idea came from Valerie- who completely rocks my running world :) She says on her blog "intense exercise can release the same amount of dopamine as a prozac, though the 2 are not completely interchangeable, so consult your doctor before starting this or any self medicating/exercise activity."

Nice even through its sarcasm! Intense working out really does generate a high through the release of endorphins straight into the brain, specifically the parts of the brain associated with emotions. Could lead to "chills" and "euphoria." :) I LOVE this article- doesn't it make you pumped up to work out?!?

Yes, Running Can Make You High



My favorite part is this, referring to the results of the studies: "They even offer hope for those who do not enjoy exercise but do it anyway. These exercisers might learn techniques to elicit a feeling that makes working out positively addictive."

Whoa! Get on the "euphoria" band wagon today! I love how our bodies were designed to make such a great feeling when we take care of it.

What do you have planned for this week for workouts? What have you done this week for workouts?

5 comments:

  1. This week Tuesday evening I ran a hilly 4 mile outdoor route, then last night I ran 5 miles on the treadmill. Tonight & Saturday I'll be running, too. I want to incorporate a 15 minute ab workout to the end of runs since I currently don't do anything core or upper body, but I want something out of the ordinary. I'm thinking some Zumba-type dancing, hip circles, and standing crunches in the bathroom mirror after a run :) Any good ab ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did lots of bike riding- I love riding because it's fast and I love feeling the air through my hair. I also did some tae kwon do and hapkido.

    For tummy, I do situps, side crunches (where you pull your leg to opposite side until it nearly touches the floor but doesn't reps on each side) and the hoola hoop kicks my butt. This weekend we're going swimming- yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This week I've been running every other day. I've also done some good "playground running" after the kids which basically entails running around my basement and at parks chasing them and having races. Lots of fun. :) Grant and I tried Tai Chi a few nights ago. That was pretty relaxing although the guy on our dvd was a little weird. :) I think we'll do that again tonight and I'll probably run the rest of the week or hop on my bike that has been very neglected!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sunday went for a 19 mi bike ride with a friend--fun!
    Monday push lawn mower (1 hr), those butt exercises I promised to do, & sit-ups. Wednesday 3 hrs of gardening/yard work, 10 min squat routine. I'm trying to tack on some targeted muscle group exercises to my chores that are cardio-equivalent to moderate walking.
    Tuesday went for a 30 min walk in which I varied between normal, short and long strides with swinging, pumping (like bicep curl), or reaching (like x-c skiing) arms. I read that this works more muscle groups, is better on your knees & can increase your calorie burn. I covered 2 mi, so that's 4.2 mph, quite brisk for me. Compare that to when I jog 2 mi (my idea of running), which takes me 25 min (5.1 mph). According to MapMyRun, I burned 140 calories in that walk, compared to 200 cal in the jog. There are many times when I don't feel up to going jogging, but I always enjoy a walk. And clearly going for a walk is better than doing nothing.
    Man, I hope everyone else is feeling as good as I am. I have even been waking up before the alarm all week (granted, that means 7 instead of 7:40). I'm thinking of you all, even though I don't know who you are, and wish you a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to be a runner. I've done a couple half marathons and quite a few 10Ks. Unfortunately I'm yet to experience a runners high. My enjoyment always comes when I'm done. I love the sweaty, heart pounding, flushed face feeling of working out hard. I finally did a little bit of intense workout Tuesday night. Running at the track. I definitely need to be doing that more than once a week.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.