7/13/10
Tuesday's Motivation
Great job, everyone!
Here are some words of encouragement from some motivators I like:
Regarding surviving a crisis, Vanessa Kennon says, "The goal is to come out on the other end a more authentic and whole YOU, one that expresses more awareness, compassion, gratitude, and love than when the crises began."
When asked by an interviewer to explain his success, Will Smith responded: “I’m not afraid to die on a treadmill. I will not be outworked. You may be more talented than me. You might be smarter than me. And you may be better looking than me. But if we get on a treadmill together you are going to get off first or I’m going to die. It’s really that simple. I’m not going to be outworked.” Haahaahaa.....
Dale Smith Thomas quotes Lorin Beller as saying "Give Energy to That Which You Want To Grow!" Then Dale goes on to explain, "Think about that for a minute. How many times do we give our energy to things that we really don't want in our lives? We focus on the things we "don't" like in our relationships, "don't" like in our work, or "don't" like about ourselves. What is the energy we give? Energy is our thoughts, our words, our written word, and our focus. One of the 1st steps in taking our lives to a new level is mindfulness...Give your energy to that which you want more of in your life or that which you want to grow! If you want to create more of something, like a fulfilling relationship, you have to find where that already exists in your life- even if it is small, and focus your energy in that direction. Be grateful for that. What you focus on gets bigger."
Vanessa Kennon talks about getting back on track: "Life is busy! We all have somewhere we’re trying to get to, a goal we’re striving toward, a hurdle we’re trying to cross, or a milestone we’re trying to achieve. We work hard, keep our noses to the grindstone and still sometimes life happens and pulls us off course. Often it’s for a short period of time and other times it’s extended. The temptation is to become frustrated and want to give up on where we were headed. But we can’t let ourselves fall prey to defeat. We must pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off and try, try again. No matter how long it takes, we have to persist in getting ourselves back on track. How do we do it? Sometimes it’s sheer willpower that will put us back on track. Often the fact that we got derailed is enough to fuel us and make our resolve that much more resilient. However, in those times when we’re finding it hard to regain the focus and drive we once had, we have to revisit our decision of what it was we were headed toward and remind ourselves why we wanted to go there in the first place. Then we must recommit to that decision without regard to the “How” of getting there. Action is the third step. Remember to begin with the small steps because these have a way of adding up and they often lead to the bigger steps that are surely to come. Lastly, we must persist until we achieve."
What has been motivating you lately?????????
Here are some words of encouragement from some motivators I like:
Regarding surviving a crisis, Vanessa Kennon says, "The goal is to come out on the other end a more authentic and whole YOU, one that expresses more awareness, compassion, gratitude, and love than when the crises began."
When asked by an interviewer to explain his success, Will Smith responded: “I’m not afraid to die on a treadmill. I will not be outworked. You may be more talented than me. You might be smarter than me. And you may be better looking than me. But if we get on a treadmill together you are going to get off first or I’m going to die. It’s really that simple. I’m not going to be outworked.” Haahaahaa.....
Dale Smith Thomas quotes Lorin Beller as saying "Give Energy to That Which You Want To Grow!" Then Dale goes on to explain, "Think about that for a minute. How many times do we give our energy to things that we really don't want in our lives? We focus on the things we "don't" like in our relationships, "don't" like in our work, or "don't" like about ourselves. What is the energy we give? Energy is our thoughts, our words, our written word, and our focus. One of the 1st steps in taking our lives to a new level is mindfulness...Give your energy to that which you want more of in your life or that which you want to grow! If you want to create more of something, like a fulfilling relationship, you have to find where that already exists in your life- even if it is small, and focus your energy in that direction. Be grateful for that. What you focus on gets bigger."
Vanessa Kennon talks about getting back on track: "Life is busy! We all have somewhere we’re trying to get to, a goal we’re striving toward, a hurdle we’re trying to cross, or a milestone we’re trying to achieve. We work hard, keep our noses to the grindstone and still sometimes life happens and pulls us off course. Often it’s for a short period of time and other times it’s extended. The temptation is to become frustrated and want to give up on where we were headed. But we can’t let ourselves fall prey to defeat. We must pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off and try, try again. No matter how long it takes, we have to persist in getting ourselves back on track. How do we do it? Sometimes it’s sheer willpower that will put us back on track. Often the fact that we got derailed is enough to fuel us and make our resolve that much more resilient. However, in those times when we’re finding it hard to regain the focus and drive we once had, we have to revisit our decision of what it was we were headed toward and remind ourselves why we wanted to go there in the first place. Then we must recommit to that decision without regard to the “How” of getting there. Action is the third step. Remember to begin with the small steps because these have a way of adding up and they often lead to the bigger steps that are surely to come. Lastly, we must persist until we achieve."
What has been motivating you lately?????????
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






























Will Smith and Venessa are my favorites.
ReplyDeleteI love the idea of not being outworked. We not be able to control our athleticism, looks, or talents but, we can control our work ethic. Great comment Will!
Venessa, love the idea of small steps first; not worrying about the "how", just get the decision made first. Start small and build through the succession of small little steps to get to something great in the end of a long journey. It's amazing what we can all accomplish through the time of taking teeny steps over and over.
I need some help ladies. As you know, I've been dealing with some knee problems. I want to get through this injury and get back on track. I could use some tips and motivation on dealing with injuries that trip us up. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :)
Meghan, I would really just take it easy. Ice often to decrease inflamation, do low-impact exercises like elliptical machines or swimming. Here's a runner's world article about figuring what it is about your knees that's injured: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-241-290-291-6899-0,00.html And that whole "injury prevention" section on their website is pretty awesome. I would suggest hip stretches for keeping the knees loose as a maintenance thing after you're healed, but definitely see your doctor to make sure there's nothing actually ripped or anything in your knee. If it's just achyness, then ice and take it easy. Hang in there! I know it's uber frustrating to sit out when you just want to get out there and run, but see if you can find some other workout outlet for a while. About a month and a half ago I got a really bad pain in my mid-foot, top, like a small bone inside was cracked, and I think I did it in a kickboxing class & going a little too hard at the haning body bag I was kicking the smitherines out of. But it was SOOOOOO frustrating to not run for a month (and I'm still just doing 4-5 miles max 2 times a week, gradually easing into it). Especially for me emotionally b/c so many feel-good endorphins are released during a run that you begin to hunger after a good run, and not running, just makes me feel frumpy. So I turned to my bike. The bike shoes are very hard and there's absolutely no flexion in my foot, low impact on my joints, and I had a good time riding several times a week. It wasn't a perfect substitution, and I would have preferred running, but hey, it was a workout and it released some stress. My foot is almost healed now, but I had a few attempts to do a mile and it hurt, so I stopped, but now I'm ok at 4-5. Just listen to your body. Try a mile, and if it's uncomfortable on your knees, then give yourself permission to stop. Don't push yourself through the pain. Just listen to your body, try to find a diff workout for a little while, and hang in there! Mini Me, you've probably got great advice in this arena!! Please share! And Marin, I know you were talking about some pain when you were shakin' your bon bon at Zumba. Again, I'd just say take it easy if you need to. Cross train- don't do just one exercise over and over, but do other workouts to strengthen the counter muscles to the muscles you always use. So if you're running a lot, try taking a dance class or DVD that stretches out and strengthens your side-to-side movement muscles since you're only using your foward muscles when running. Try doing yoga and pilates which will be total body stretchers and re-lubricate your joints, while strengthening your core, and core strength is pivotal to ALL exercises/sports. Does anyone else have cross training ideas for running Maggie? Hang in there, girls! Always just take it easy if your body is telling you to!
ReplyDelete