7/15/10
Feel the Burn Thursday
Good morning, buff beautiful babes!!!!
I hope you're all having a great week! Please share what workouts and activities you've been up to last weekend & this week!
In yoga teacher training last night, we explored Ayurveda and we went into the 3 types of doshas, which are pretty much personality types of people. Of course there's a lifetime-full of information you can study further on it, but this is just the generic schpeel. Each of us has a little bit of each of the 3 doshas within us, but usually 1 dominates or sometimes 2 can equally be dominant. Anyways, after you take some quizes and learn more about each of the 3 types, and after you know what your dominant dosha(s) is, then you can use that information to gain a deeper understanding of yourself, to learn to not compare yourself with others, to learn how to motivate yourself, how to relax yourself, and how to balance yourself. Back that up, I said MOTIVATE, RELAX, & BALANCE! Sweet!
So check out some of the dosha quizes online- there are TONS of them. Here's the first Google hit: http://www.whatsyourdosha.com/ Then after you know which dosha you are, Google that particular dosha to learn more about it.
Sooooooo......share! Tell us what your dosha is (vata, pitta, or kapha)! Tell us how you feel about that! Tell us how you can take that knowledge to then motivate yourself!!!!!
This link shows the best workouts for your type:
http://www.care2.com/greenliving/the-right-exercise-for-your-type.html
Again, each of us can be multiple types, each can go in seasons, sometimes in diff situations we're one and in others we're another, sometimes our body is one and our mind is another, etc. But still, kind of a fun way to get some new workout ideas, right?!?!?
I hope you're all having a great week! Please share what workouts and activities you've been up to last weekend & this week!
In yoga teacher training last night, we explored Ayurveda and we went into the 3 types of doshas, which are pretty much personality types of people. Of course there's a lifetime-full of information you can study further on it, but this is just the generic schpeel. Each of us has a little bit of each of the 3 doshas within us, but usually 1 dominates or sometimes 2 can equally be dominant. Anyways, after you take some quizes and learn more about each of the 3 types, and after you know what your dominant dosha(s) is, then you can use that information to gain a deeper understanding of yourself, to learn to not compare yourself with others, to learn how to motivate yourself, how to relax yourself, and how to balance yourself. Back that up, I said MOTIVATE, RELAX, & BALANCE! Sweet!
So check out some of the dosha quizes online- there are TONS of them. Here's the first Google hit: http://www.whatsyourdosha.com/ Then after you know which dosha you are, Google that particular dosha to learn more about it.
Sooooooo......share! Tell us what your dosha is (vata, pitta, or kapha)! Tell us how you feel about that! Tell us how you can take that knowledge to then motivate yourself!!!!!
This link shows the best workouts for your type:
http://www.care2.com/greenliving/the-right-exercise-for-your-type.html
Again, each of us can be multiple types, each can go in seasons, sometimes in diff situations we're one and in others we're another, sometimes our body is one and our mind is another, etc. But still, kind of a fun way to get some new workout ideas, right?!?!?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)































So I am dominantly a Pitta Dosha. I should eat cold foods and keep really well hydrated to feel most in balance. I should get to sleep by 10pm (b/c my second wind comes at 10pm and it'll keep me up til past midnight). Cool showers or baths before bed will help me sleep better. Best workout for me would be swimming- hmm- guess I need to pick that back up!!!
ReplyDeleteThis link shows the best workouts for your type:
http://www.care2.com/greenliving/the-right-exercise-for-your-type.html#
Again, each of us can be multiple types, each can go in seasons, sometimes in diff situations we're one and in others we're another, sometimes our body is one and our mind is another, etc. But still, kind of a fun way to get some new workout ideas, right?!?!?
I am also a dominantly Pitta Dosha; especially in my mind. My body was a 1/2 Vata and 1/2 Kapha. Interesting. Also interesting that the water is recommended for Pitta Doshas b/c I love the water. I enjoy being under water very much. However, the quiz suggests that I am very competitive. I've always thought that I am not competitive at all and have steered away from team sports. I did play tennis in high school and loved that though.
ReplyDelete-a fun quiz. Lots to think about. I think I will get in the pool with the kids more often rather than watching from the sidelines.
So I got weird results. It says I'm Kapha overall, but with the body I was clearly Vata and with mind I was 1/2Kapha and 1/2Pitta. So with Kapha it says I'm sturdy with a big frame, and do everything slowly. Ha ha, that's lovely. :) These quizes are always hard for me because the questions often don't list the answer that I really want and make me pick from what's there-even though it doesn't really represent what I want it to. Oh well, says I should exercise regularly, and watch out not to eat too much. Maybe I should try a quiz with more detailed questions? This reminded me of the color code. Very interesting, thanks for sharing Sarah.
ReplyDeleteWe talked about this last night for 3 and a half hours- so we went way into depth about each kind- characteristics, what they're drawn to, etc.
ReplyDeleteNicki, Kapha people are chill, go with the flow, Norah Jones type fans, chocolate lovers, friendly, hug a lot, are connected to the earth, mothering in nature, easy to build muscle, strength, & endurance, very grounded, strong sexual drive, tend to get headcolds when stressed, extremely friendly and loving, swan-like and avalanche-like, and when in balance, just rock solid people. A way to cue a kapha is to tell them to imagine their heart lifting towards the ceiling, or when in backbends, imagine their shoulderblades are like hands lifting their heart to the sky.
Meghan, Pitta people are go-getters, visionary people, very big picture viewers about life, live on schedules, live on getting things done, sometimes neglect lunch b/c they're so busy getting things done, have an inferno for a belly that goes through the energy in food very quickly, are very passionate and tend to explode in various emotions easily, Bono type music people, like spicy foods, tend to crave moderation b/c life is moving from one all-consuming project/passion to the next, tiger-like and eagle-like, volcano-like, and overall just very motivating and driven people. A way to cue a pitta is to prompt them to relax their muscles and to trust their bodies.
Vata, if any of you turn out to be that, are very upbeat, skipping around, listening to bubbly Colbie Callait type music, prefer light crunchy foods & snacks like popcorn or crackers, mind racing a mile a minute, always strolling around and easily distracted by beautiful things, very smiley, tends towards light sleep or insomnia, always looking for the next adventure, very people oriented, connected to the air and stars, gazelle-like and hummingbird-like, hurricane-like, and overall just very uplifting people. A way to cue (in teaching yoga and prompting people into positions) a vata is to ground them, ask them to root through the ground, etc.
I am pitta.
ReplyDeleteI came up as Vata and after reading it I am definately Vata! It is funny because I think I managed to throw myself out of wack in high school. Growning up I was super skinny and always moving. It described me perfectly. I still fit in so many ways but I think I need to work on getting back into sync with my core being. It is what I have been working on.
ReplyDeleteI am kapha. Interesting that I have absolutely no Vata in my body at all. I think mostly because any chance I get I just want to relax and do nothing:) I'm guess I'm with you Nicki, sturdy with a big frame and I do everything slowly. I think I like the visual of the rock--I'm good with being a rock!
ReplyDeleteI am a Pitta. Now I know why I'm up so late! It's that stinking second wind! So I have to be in bed by 10, not 10:30, my current goal time. And I like the idea of needing to eat more cold foods. Not sure what they all are, but it sounds like it would be good for my body. I'm imagining less warm cookies and cakes =). More cool cucumbers and leaves. Interesting to read about these categories.
ReplyDelete