5/12/10

Whatcha Eatin' Wednesday

Good morning, ladies!
First just a little unrelated-to-food discussion. Have you all had a
full annual physical with you doctor in the last year? If not, call
today and schedule! You can talk to your doctor about a healthy BMI
for you and perhaps the most important from my experience, get full
bloodwork done to show if your hormone levels are all ok, your thyroid
levels, your vitamin D, your sugars, other nutrients, etc. If your
thyroid is underproducing, it can make it superhard to lose weight-
you'll work and work and work out, but be plateaued and tired. If any
nutrients are low, your doctor can suggest over the counter vitamins
you should be taking. And you'd better all be taking a multivitamin!
Just a generic Target brand does the trick. Being low on certain
important vitamins can make you sluggish or your body not as strong in
defense as it should be. So let us all know if you take any vitamins
and if you like them, etc.

Ok, on to the yummies!!! What have you been eating lately? What
recipes have you tried? What healthy snacks do you or your kids
enjoy? The weather here has been cold and rainy/sleety/snowy, so it's
got me thinking about warm homemade meals. Like in a crock pot! Here's
a link with lots of healthy slow cooker recipes. http://busycooks.about.com/od/healthycrockpotrecipes/a/healthycrockpot.htm
I am def trying the chicken & apples next week- sounds yummy!!!

3 comments:

  1. Hey-I have to share something GREAT! As you may know, I've been very stagnant at the weight loss thing for a while. Today, I found a free website at www.sparkpeople.com - it's devoted to weight loss and providing a sense of community. It ROCKS! The coolest feature is the menu plans. You type in your current weight and goal weight, and they pop out a full menu complete with EASY meal and snack ideas and a full grocery list. So this morning I it told me to make a strawberry parfait for breakfast using 12 sliced strawberries, some granola, and a lite vanilla yogurt. Easy. I had the ingredients. And I wouldn't have thought of it myself. We all complain about getting STUCK, but this site really motivated me today. You can also set other goals - mine were to get 8 hours of sleep, listen to a "pump you up" song each morning, etc. I was really impressed and hopefully it can help some other people get motivated (if you need it). Oh, Sarah, we can even create our own "group" on there if we want to have our 10-in-6 group there as well as here. Anyway, I'm excited. And I have eaten healthfully today for the first time in a long time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to try the menu planner, Info! =) And just thinking about you getting pump-up music on in the AM is getting me pumped to start tomorrow!!!

    I made some SUPER yummy hummus today. My main health need is to get my portions right - I like to snack and snack on healthy foods - so I measured out 1/4 cup of this hummus to eat with carrots. SUPER YUMMY!

    SUPER YUM HUMMUS

    1 can garbanzo beans (chick peas) rinsed
    1/4 to 1/2 C tahini (sesame seed paste)
    1/4-1/2 C yoghurt or light sour cream (I used rice milk and water due to my sons allergies)
    3-4 fresh mint leaves (I ommited these and still yum)
    1 lemon juiced
    2 cloves garlic
    salt to taste

    Put ingredients in food processor or blender and mix for 2 minutes, stir and taste.

    Mine needed more lemon juice.

    Garnish with chopped parsley and cayenne pepper, drizzle with olive oil to keep it moist and add flavor.

    FULL OF PROTEIN! I hope you like it.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.