4/7/10
Whatcha Eating Wednesday
Good morning, ladies! Hope you're all doing great despite the weather being drizzly and gyms being locked (mini-me was locked out of her gym this morning :( )
Overcome it all!
So here's the day where we share what we've been eating. What snacks have you been enjoying? What meals? Any good recipes?
I'm making Smothered Chicken one night this week. There's not really an exact recipe for it, just something my mom used to make when I was growing up. I think it may have it's origins w/ Weight Watchers actually.
*Chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
*Mushrooms, sliced
*Onions, sliced (optional- I don't use them in this recipe)
*Reduced Fat Swiss cheese slices
Saute the mushrooms & onions in a dabble of olive oil. When cooked, set aside. In skillet cook chicken breasts until about a minute from being done. Add back in the mushrooms & onions, warm them up in the skillet bottom, then when warm, stack on top of the chicken breasts, then place cheese slice on top of the mushroom & onion pile on top of the chicken breast. Cover skillet until the cheese has mostly melted & is "gluing" the goodies on top of the chicken breast. About this recipe, I don't use the onions, but I use TONS and TONS of mushrooms. I love me some sauteed mushrooms :) Good w/ a side salad of greens.
Overcome it all!
So here's the day where we share what we've been eating. What snacks have you been enjoying? What meals? Any good recipes?
I'm making Smothered Chicken one night this week. There's not really an exact recipe for it, just something my mom used to make when I was growing up. I think it may have it's origins w/ Weight Watchers actually.
*Chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
*Mushrooms, sliced
*Onions, sliced (optional- I don't use them in this recipe)
*Reduced Fat Swiss cheese slices
Saute the mushrooms & onions in a dabble of olive oil. When cooked, set aside. In skillet cook chicken breasts until about a minute from being done. Add back in the mushrooms & onions, warm them up in the skillet bottom, then when warm, stack on top of the chicken breasts, then place cheese slice on top of the mushroom & onion pile on top of the chicken breast. Cover skillet until the cheese has mostly melted & is "gluing" the goodies on top of the chicken breast. About this recipe, I don't use the onions, but I use TONS and TONS of mushrooms. I love me some sauteed mushrooms :) Good w/ a side salad of greens.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






























I've been making a ton of stuff out of Rocco Dispirito's Now Eat This! cookbook. I'll give you a list of the things we've tried out of it & how we liked them...
ReplyDelete-(Almost) General Tso's Chicken - this was better than when we get when we order out Chinese! It was a bit time consuming though, because I had to make his stir fry sauce first
-Mac & Cheese - not as good as real mac & cheese, but pretty darn good! It uses an onion & Garlic puree as a base. The first time I made it, I didn't add enough cheese, but my whole family liked it still.
-Fett. Alfredo - normally, this is my hubby's favorite dish, so he was excited to try this lo calorie version & I'm happy to say it passed the test!
-Berry Yummy Frozen Yogurt Pops - I've made these twice. You use greek yogurt (he's a big fan of greek yogurt) & they are fabulous!
-Chocolate Frozen Yogurt - I tried this last night, but my ice cream maker didn't do a good job of freezing it, so I stuck them in our Popsicle molds for today. I haven't tried them yet, but I think I didn't get the chocolate melted enough, plus next time I think I'll use a 90% dark chocolate bar instead of baking chocolate.
-Jalapeno Poppers - another hubby favorite. These were a great substitute, but next time I'm doubling the recipe... they went fast!
-Mayo - I'm making a couple recipes this week that require his mayo, so I made it yesterday. I was skeptical about the taste, but it was pretty good on my sandwich I just had for lunch.
Things we are trying soon: Crab cakes, tuna melt, Indian beef curry, better than mashed "potatoes" (its cauliflower)
Anyways, its a really fun book, I recommend it! If you want any of the recipes but don't want to get the book, you can email me. I don't want to type them out here in case of copyright issues or what not! :)
I wish I had some super unique meals I have been eating to share, but for me it's been the same old stuff, which I love, because I know it's tasty, fast, and healthy.
ReplyDeleteSo here is a list of my go to meals that I include in almost every week of meal plans:
Black Bean Soup served with a wheat roll, fresh fruit, or smoothie.
Salsa Chicken Tacos (I make the chicken in the crockpot, just cover chicken with salsa, and thats it, it's great!)
Chicken Enchiladas (I fill them with the same salsa chicken and top them with Green enchilada sauce and a little bit of cheese)
Barbeque Pork Ribs -I usually serve them with zucchini, a salad and some sort of fruit.
Spicy Peanut Oriental Noodles served with spinach salad and mandarin oranges.
Delicious Ham and Potato Soup (an allrecipes.com recipe. It's really low in calories and super flavorful)
I know this isn't anything revolutionary, but I find it helpful to hear people's go to meals!
Good luck this week ladies!
Sarah, that smothered chicken is going to show up on our dinner table soon!
ReplyDeleteMy treat of the week:
Fruit Salsa - it's awesome!!! -and super easy.
16-18 strawberries
2 kiwi
1 apple
pita chips of choice (I like the cinn./sugar)
Chop all the fruit up small. A nut chopper works great. Stir it all together and dip away. Feels like a dessert, but it's a great serving of fruit for the day.
Mac and Cheese is a favorite in our family so I would love a copy of that recipe, Marin! I was looking through my recipe books and found this Mac and Cheese recipe which I haven't tried yet but it looked yummy so I will share it.
ReplyDeleteMac and Cheese
6 servings
Nonstick spray
2 cups fa-free milk
1 Tbsp whole-wheat flour
6 oz shredded fat-free mozzarella cheese
1 1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp sweet paprika
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
8 canned artichoke hearts (packed in water not oil), drained, rinsed and roughly chopped
3 cups cooked whole-wheat elbow macaroni
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 1 1/2 quart high-sided, round baking dish with nonstick spray and set aside.
2. Heat the milk in a large saucepan set over medium-low heat. When small bubbles appear around he edge of the pan, whisk in the whole-wheat flour. Continue cooking and whisking until thickened, about 20 seconds. Stir in cheese and cook, stirring, until it melts and the mixture is smooth.
3. Stir in the onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, salt, nutmeg, and pepper then stir in the artichoke hearts and macaroni. Cook just until heated through, about 30 seconds.
4. Mound the mixture into the prepared baking dish and press down lightly to compact. Bake until bubbling and lightly browned, about 20 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Calories 183, protein 18 g, carbohydrate 27 g, fat trace, fiber 2 g, sugar 0 g, sodium 443 mg
I have I guess what is a cry for help. I am having severe allergic reactions to something and I don't know what.
ReplyDeleteMy challenge is that it is not only giving me hives but completely draining my energy. Does anybody have any energy boost helps and any ways to boost the immune system?
Mmmm. Shanda, it's hard to say without knowing more specifics about your symptoms. As far as boosting your immune system, I do know that, as a general rule, stress increases your cortisol level which seriously suppresses your immune system. So, try to eliminate stress and get lots of sleep, as a first step. However, it sounds like the problem is that you already are having an immune response. I would try to eliminate the source of your allergic reaction and see if your energy returns. Good luck.
ReplyDeleteMeghan, that fruit salsa sounds like a great treat right now.
I tried a new recipe tonight-- it was a last minute, lazy kind of dinner cooking night. So I got it off the side of the Rotel can, but cut out some of the calories. And it tasted great. I'll definitely make this again. Be sure to get the lime cilantro Rotel, it has a nice kick to it!
Rotel Quesadillas:
7 oz. canned chunk chicken
1 10 oz. can Rotel Mexican lime and cilantro
4 Ole! Xtreme wellness high fiber low carb tortilla wrap
2 oz. cheddar cheese (just enough to make the quesadilla stick together)
Put chicken and tomatoes in saute pan and heat up for about 10 minutes until the water is evaporated. Place mixture in tortilla with cheese. Fold tortilla in half and cook until sides brown.
Serving is 1 tortilla.
Calories: 197; Protein: 23g; Fat: 7.5g; Carbs: 9g