Reading other people's success stories is a proven motivator. I love it. It makes me think my struggles & my starting point are no where near as rough as it could be or I don't have near as far to go as they did, but at the same time, reading these stories makes me feel supported, makes my emotions/struggles validated, makes me feel connected to them, like "if they can do it I can do it." It's a win-win!
I saw a recent cover of Good Housekeeping magazine (not one I'd normally pick up :) ) and it was all about the Biggest Loser success secrets, Helen's story (winner from last season), etc.
How Biggest Loser Winner Helen Phillips Lost 140 Lbs
Secrets from the Biggest Loser
- "Stick with a low-cal, low-fat diet — about 1,500 calories per day, with less than 30 percent coming from fat (Phillips consumes about 400 additional calories per day to help fuel her daily exercise; see Helen Phillips's 5-a-Day Meal Plan).
- Eat breakfast every day — it helps prevent overeating.
- Forgo the high-fat, high-sugar empty calories of fast food.
- Keep a daily food journal and step on the scale regularly.
- Exercise at least 200 minutes per week (Phillips works out about 120 minutes per day).
- Cut TV viewing to 10 hours or less per week (the national average is 28 hours). Phillips went from watching up to five movies in a row when she was heavy to almost zero now.
- Avoid taking weekends and holidays "off" (Phillips indulges in one higher-calorie day a week, a practice she started at the Ranch). "































I ran 10 miles on Monday, which was the furthest I've run in the last month. It felt SOOOOO good! Really woke me up to live & recharged me after a long funk.
ReplyDeleteW/ things being so busy prepping for the move(both work & home), and that being my excuse to challenge, I've just been trying to squeeze in any tiny workout I can, b/c 10-20 mins is better than nothing. So Tuesday I ran 1 mile and Wednesday I ran 1 1/2 miles (with my pup). It makes me feel really proud that I've squeezed that in. Making exercise a priority was my goal for the week, and so far I've got 3 for 3. Woohoo! Oh, and Wednesday I packed up our books in our home office, about 10 boxes worth, and carried them down stairs to stack in our garage in preparation for the move. Phew, is that some heavy lifting! Great workout! Can't wait for some more....ok...LOTS more.... :)
Way to go Sarah!! I love to hear when people set goals and achieve them. That is very inspiring to me!
ReplyDeleteThis week I have set my own goal on a race next weekend that I am training for hard this week. I have upped my running speed and am looking forward to a couple of nice runs this weekend.
I am also going to share with all of you the greatest experience I had this week. I went and bought a new pair of jeans that are the smallest I have EVER bought for myself! I have a hot date on Saturday and can't wait to show them off.
I adore all of the Biggest Loser stories. I'm such a huge fan of the show, I just love it. It's such a great example of "if they can do it, so can I"; especially since the contestants have SO much more work to do than most people.
ReplyDeleteGREAT JOB SARAH on that 10 mi run!! Someday I'll get there too.
Mini Me, buying the smallest ever jeans is the best feeling in the world! I was just talking with my buddy about this today - it's a meeting of the mind and body. The mind: stuck in that rut of 'I could not really be that small, it's just impossible'. The body: fitting into the small jeans! It's a fantastic moment of clarity. The experience forces us to realize how awesome we are! That can be tough sometimes.
I had an awesome run/walk yesterday with my pooch and kiddos (after I picked them up from school). They weren't too excited about me having them walk home instead of riding in the van. I was though!
Just a note: I wish they'd put potties on the trails. :) Pooch and I were out 3 hours total and it felt GREAT!
I have to say that I am impatient! I want to be that smallest size right now and it's really hard to be patient and watch the weight slowly peel off, but I am still working at it! My goal for this week was to run, albeit slowly, the whole 30 minutes of my workout. And I did it. I must admit that I am wiped out and need a nap, but I did it!
ReplyDeleteEnjoy the nice weather--I sure am! And way to go girls on reaching that smallest ever size!!!!
I feel badly that I have posted much lately besides the Monday check-in thread. But it's pretty much because all my weeks are very similar, so I don't feel like I have anything to add. I have made it to the gym 3 times this week so far (missed Tuesday, since I was volunteering at my daughter's preschool). Next week is our Spring Break here and we're hoping for great weather, so we can get out and be active together as a family (playing at parks, hiking, geocaching, etc.).
ReplyDeletevalerie here;
ReplyDeletemini me, great job on the small jeans!
I am lacking in motivation, but I believe this is just another excuse that needs to be challenged. I love the idea of "10min of exercise is better that 0" sort of goes along with the idea that "actually the third brownie really does count, so don't eat it!"
I am working on the latter.
I am going to have results this week.
This past week has been horrible for me. I am having an allergic reaction and it is stressing me out a lot. I haven't been as great at eating as I should have been.
ReplyDeleteI am excited though because we just switched to Direct Tv and have a DVR and we also have a fitness channel that has a TON of exercise programs and I have started recording some of them so I can have some morning motivation and hopefully find one that I like. I also grabbed the bike and have been running my puppy about a mile a day.
I have been pretty consistent in my workouts. I almost always run about 2 miles. Pretty ho hum really.
ReplyDeleteBut yesterday I finally worked it out so that I could run outside and I got in nearly 3 miles, and I felt like I could have gone longer. It was wonderful! So now running outside is going to be my new goal. I know it won't happen often, but I'm going to try to get one outside run each week. I feel so much more refreshed and energized than when I'm stuck on the treadmill. Like I have a REAL goal instead of a number.
I've been doing tons of clothes shopping lately and I finally realized it's because I am loving the way my body looks right now. I bought some legitimate skinny jeans today and I'm really excited about it.
Good luck everyone! Keep it up!
Exercise is coming along better this week. I decided to even try two different workouts in a day, which is unheard of for me! :) Feeling good, so I'm hoping to have a good weigh-in on Monday!!!!
ReplyDeletei have failed miserably this week! i worked out on monday but haven't done anything since! aaarrrggghhh! this spring break has kicked me in the rear. i know it's a great excuse and i have my mother-in-law coming next week another great excuse. i'll get something in tomorrow and saturday!!! i promise!!!
ReplyDelete