12/8/09

Tuesday Motivation

Did any of you feel the burn shoveling snow this morning?  YOU WILL TOMORROW :)  I hope everyone drives safely in the blizzard we're expecting tonight here in my neck of the woods. 

Today's post is about de-stressing and chilling because that will help you lose weight, be healthier, and be happier.  Check out this article from Women's Health: Zen Commandments.  And these articles from Fitness Magazine: Happy People and Lose the Weight and Stay Stress-Free.  And WebMD: De-Stress and Eat Less.

We all have experienced that when we're stressed to the max, we say "screw it all," and make poor decisions.  I know I have done that more times that I'd like to recall in my life.  Stress is a diet-buster, exercise-de-motivator, sleep-inhibitor, and mood-killer.  And so much of it we do to ourselves.  When we're eating healthy and exercising, though, it seems stress is lower.  And when stress is lower, we eat healthier and exercise more.  So which causes which?  Which came first, the chicken or the egg?  hahaha  We can always control how we react to different situations that arise in our lives, even if sometimes those situations are out of our hands.  We decide if we're going to let stressful situations sabotage our goals and our healthy decisions.

What ways do you ladies keep stress at bay?

8 comments:

  1. The biggest thing for me keeping stress at bay is EXERCISE! When you get in a good workout, you're just so DARN PROUD of yourself that NOTHING can rain on your parade. That's me :) Last night I ran 6 miles then did the Biggest Loser 20 min cardio max workout. Wow, my glutes are tight today! I strutted around later on last running errands feeling confident & happy. The other thing that helps me a lot is sleep. If I go for a series of consecutive nights where I don't get a good night's sleep, then it builds up to a grumpy attitude on day 4 or 5 that can only be fixed with a good night's rest. We've been trying to institute a 10 pm bedtime, and that's helped with keeping stress down. (All of you with kids are tsk tsk'ing me right now thinking "just wait, you naieve dummy"..... :) ) Can't wait to hear from you all, particularly Jen who's our resident destress guru :), and sorry this got out so late today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you posted this Sarah, because I am trying to 'destress' my life. I have realized over the recent past 6 months WHY I cannot stay with -stay strong with- diet and exercise... it is STRESS!!! Too much to do, and not enough time to do the things I want. I'm currently working on wittling away at my 'to do' list. I hate to say it will get better after the new year, but there are a ton of things 'ending' this month that will make a huge difference in my stress level. Because of stress, I am 'unmotivated to exercise', 'sleep deprived', BUSTED by my diet, and seem to be in a bad mood all the time! I know my family will appreciate the destressed me once January comes along. I know I should not be saying, 'when this day comes, I'll...' - but like I said, this wittling process is going to take a month or so, and I've already wittled some things away!
    I asked for workout clothes for Christmas, so maybe that will be a good motivator for me to get back to the gym everyday!
    I wish we were getting hammered with a blizzard! Stay warm up there!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy F.--- a new workout outfit is AWESOME for getting you in the mood to work out :) I'm so impressed with your dropping of things off your plate- that is such a hard thing to do and you're going to feel so empowered and proud of yourself once you've done it. I'd ask myself, how much of the things on this list are "to-do"s or projects that I've imposed on myself or stress that I've imposed on myself, and then how many of those items are things that really need to get done imperatively. For me, I have seen a lot of things on my "list" (figuratively & literally) that are low-priority "want to do's" or "it'd be nice if...to do's" and not really things that HAVE to get done. Eliminating those from my plate or at least the list goes a long way for me. Just 3 things that I HAVE to get to today on a short little simple list looks a lot less stress-invoking than a list of 20 things that are a conglomerations of things I HAVE to get done, should get done, kinda wanta get done, and hey wouldn't it be cool if I got that done... It's stressful to look at that! I know you'll find ways to put your physical needs and emotional happiness on a pedestal- you're amazing, Amy :) Jen, take this one away- you're up!!!! :) hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, pressure's on. :) I'm going to get very personal... so bear with me.

    I was born with a Type A personality, always trying to get that "to do" list checked off, always trying to achieve and accomplish. I would say I have had way too much on my plate since High School. And with having kids, the busy-ness has only gotten worse. As a result, for the past 10 years or so I have felt overwhelmed, overtired, depressed, and emotionally unstable & grouchy (my poor family).

    During that time I used food (especially sweets) to cope with all those undesirable feelings. When I was tired or overwhelmed, I turned to food for energy. When I was angry or sad, I turned to food because it seemed to have a calming, soothing effect. And my food choices were mostly unhealthy. Who had time to cut up an apple when that chocolate bar looked so much better!? LOL!

    After my fifth child, Jane, was born about 6 weeks ago, I took 2 weeks off from my life. Literally. My husband and mom just took over and I did almost nothing but enjoy Jane (and check email - LOL). I had NEVER done anything so relaxing in my life. It was FANTASTIC. For a control freak like me, it wasn't easy to let go. But it had to be done because I was tired for living such a hectic life.

    What was my 2 week relaxation like, you may ask? I wrote this on my blog:

    -I'm healing. I feel such a peace, physically and emotionally.
    -The typical frenetic energy of life isn't there when I calmly relax and rest adequately.
    -Jane is calm. I love being with her. I feel I can 'read' her more easily.
    -I'm just so happy and feeling so blessed.

    And now after 6 weeks, I can report I'm continuing that mentality. I refuse - REFUSE - to be so stressed and busy. Some changes I've made:

    *We have a housekeeper come in a clean every 2 weeks. I don't care how much it costs. I'm worth it. My family is worth it.

    *I don't feel obligated to attend every activity or sign up for every opportunity to help. I remember EVERY activity is optional. My peace comes first. PERIOD.

    *When I feel the stress coming on (this is usually when the kids are all home from school and right before dinner) I take a breather, whether it be sitting on the couch and reading a magazine or book, or in dire circumstances, heading into my bedroom and locking the door behind me. TV is a great way to quiet the kids, too, and I've decided not to feel guilty about that. Again, MY PEACE COMES FIRST.

    *I'm taking a nap every day. My stress levels are completely related to whether I've had enough sleep.

    *I walk every morning before the kids are up (this keeps me from getting so stressed during the morning rush).

    *I do yoga and a little meditation every mid-day while the young kids nap and just before I nap. The yoga is about 20 minutes long. My meditation is just 5-10 minutes long and I do 3 things:
    1. take note of my body... head to toe. How does everything feel?
    2. take note of my thoughts... are they racing? What am I thinking about? Acknowledge the thoughts without judgment.
    3. take note of my emotions... how do I feel? frantic? happy? sad? just notice it, then let the negative emotions go.

    *I drink lots of water. I have been surprised to find out much of my past overeating was related to dehydration. Right now I'm probably drinking at least a gallon a day. Crazy, but it's working...

    *And, of course, I'm eating better. I do 6 small 200-300 calorie meals a day, each including a protein and a fruit or veggie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry...it cut me off... here's the completion of my book: LOL!
    -------

    I agree with Sarah's point: I think eating healthier is further reducing my stress. But, for me, reducing stress was CRITICAL to enable me to begin eating healthy in the first place.

    As far as weight loss, I know I didn't report yesterday, but I weighed myself today and I'm actually down another 2 pounds. That's a total of 11 pounds down from my pre-pregnancy weight. I have never lost weight like this after a baby. I have no doubt that the stress reduction has been the key for me. And my family life is so, so much better. For that reason alone, I will never go back to that old stressful, unhealthy lifestyle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, great comments you guys!!!! Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts! Jen, you're looking fabulous too, so I know your plan has been working. I love the art of saying "no" It took me awhile to not feel guilty about it though, and wondering what people would think of me, not understanding why I couldn't always say yes. I often read this quote when I get worried about what others will be thinking of me. A roommate in college printed this on paper and framed it for me one year for Christmas. I've carried it around with me each time I moved and it's definitely needing to be reprinted and put in a new frame. You've probably all read it, but here you go! I love it!

    This version is found written on the wall in Mother Teresa's home for children in Calcutta:

    People are often unreasonable, irrational, and self-centered. Forgive them anyway.

    If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives. Be kind anyway.

    If you are successful, you will win some unfaithful friends and some genuine enemies. Succeed anyway.

    If you are honest and sincere people may deceive you. Be honest and sincere anyway.

    What you spend years creating, others could destroy overnight. Create anyway.

    If you find serenity and happiness, some may be jealous. Be happy anyway.

    The good you do today, will often be forgotten. Do good anyway.

    Give the best you have, and it will never be enough. Give your best anyway.

    In the final analysis, it is between you and God. It was never between you and them anyway.

    -this version is credited to Mother Teresa

    We can do this ladies! Give the best you've got because you need to succeed for you, and no one else! Make yourself proud! It's so amazing to me how when we take the time for US that everything else in our lives gets better as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sarah, I forget to mention that I'm sure all of us would be MORE than willing to allow you to come over to our houses for your workout of shoveling snow. I bet we'd be willing to share that with you because we love you sooo much. :) I feel so selfish hogging that exercise routine. :) Please let me share....... ;) Ok just kidding. :) I've got a husband and a Wisconsin snow approved snow blower for that. :) Hee hee

    ReplyDelete
  8. Today's comments have been some of the best so far! I love the changes you've made Jen. We could all do well to think of ways we can de-stress our own lives. Remember what the flight attendents always tell us, we have to apply the oxygen mask to ourselves before we can help someone else. :)

    I got out and shoveled snow again today. I know it's strange but, I must admit that it's my favorite winter workout! I LOVE to mow the lawn in the summer and shovel snow in the winter. I crave that feeling of satisfaction when I finish the job and can go inside and look out the window and say, "Look what a good job I did!" to myself. :) I'm looking forward to more snow tomorrow . . . LOTS more!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.