Good morning, fearless females! Check out this article:
Staying Fit During the Holidays. Scroll through all 12 pages/slides. What stood out to you the most? For me, it was 3 things, 1) wow, I need to eat more apples :), 2) I need to be sure to keep myself non-sleep deprived if possible, and 3) I need to hit the weights more than I am.

So weight training, strength training, resistance training, whatever you call it, is key to shedding fat. Doing calorie cutting alone, you're more likely to lose muscle weight in addition to fat weight. Incorporating cardio & strength training will help you maintain and gain muscle while just losing the fat weight. But what if you find weight training really....blah ba humbug? Me, me, me! One solution would be to find fun new strength training workouts that don't involve repetitious bicep curls w/ dumbells. Try a physically intense yoga routine with lots of planks and leg lifts. Try a Bosu or Body Sculpting/Pump class at your gym. Try a new DVD routine using a big ball. Try a Kbell/Kettle Ball workout DVD. Try to mimic some of the unusual moves they do on Biggest Loser, like jerking ropes up alternatingly, rolling a tractor tire, sledge hammering a tractor tire, pushups on the treadmill, kettle ball swings, pushups w/ dumbells under your hands and lifting each side once you're up at the top of your pushup, etc. Here is a
home strength plan by Shape magazine but it does require quite a bit of home equipment like a medicine ball, bosu ball, pilates ball, resistance band, etc. This is another strength training program but just consists of 3
upper body moves, also by Shape, but I have all the equip to do this at home, so I think I'll try 3 times a week for a while! Hold me accountable :)
How do you ladies get in your strength training?????????
(BTW- I forgot to set up for the side challenge this 2nd week, so there will be just one and it will be in the 4th week, with a fun prize from Amy C. for the winner!)
I don't like to say "have a great day" because that implies that you're not in control of the greatness of your day. I much prefer saying "MAKE it a great day" :) I am excited to do the upper body moves & the ab moves tonight!
ReplyDeleteGreat message today Sarah! Just this morning I was thinking about this topic. I did about 15 plie squats and about 15 lunges while I blow dried my hair this morning. Another easy upper body one (quick & @ home) that I like is to lay across an exercise ball (face down). Crawl forward on the floor til the ball is at your shins. Do push ups.
ReplyDeleteGood article! An apple before every meal...that's a lot of apples. I think I'll buy a bag today and give it a try.
ReplyDeleteI'm restarting the sit up and push up challenge this week and I'm adding the squats. I like the push ups with the ball move Laura.
I was just drooling over my Athleta catalog that came the other day. They have some really cute things for my reward outfit that I will be purchasing at the end of the challenge!!!
I'm going to make it a great day today!
Great article. Apples are sounding pretty good right about now!
ReplyDeleteThis is my strenth training workout: move while watching TV in the evening. Last night I did calf raises while sitting on the couch with my 50 lb. son on my lap! (fun for him too!) I even alternated between him and the littler Emily (40 lbs.) for recovery. I also did crunches, leg raises for the lower abs., push-ups, squats and lunges.
I tend to get annoyed when I'm counting out sets; thinking about how many more I have to do and how I want to stop. So, I do my work by shows. For example, I'll do sit ups for one segment then move to something else for the commercial, then to something else for the next segment. Works for me and the TV keeps my mind off what hard work I'm actually doing. Before I know it, I'm sweating!
Amy C. - I love Athleta! I haven't ordered anything from there yet, but there are a lot of their running clothes in my creation jar. I plan on buying some of their stuff after the first of the year when I'm at my final weight- so close! :) www.athleta.com
ReplyDeleteLaura- Good idea w/ the ball workout & the plies while blowdrying :) I need to dig out my ball from a box in the garage from our last move & inflate it again!
Meghan- You make everything sound so effortless & fun :) I'll bet Ben & Emily loved it!
About the apples, I have one about every day, but I think I'd start to hate them if I had one before every meal :) I think I'll stick to one Honey Crisp a day. They're extra yummy combined w/ 7 reduced fat triscuits and a babybel cheese round (Abrey's idea originally I think).
I'm going to focus on the not skipping meals part. I tend to do that a lot these days, so I need to keep that in check! I'm going to jump back into the plank exercises as well, they kill me!
ReplyDeleteI love all the different ideas for strength training! I went to the gym this morning and tried out a bunch of upper body machines and man I am going to feel it for the next couple of days. I heard from someone or somewhere that for women runners the upper body strength can make a huge difference. We shall see. I do strength training about 2 times a week but am going to try 3 times a week. I am going to think of some fun challenges to do with my husband. Showing off for him is fun and trying to beat him is great motivation!!
ReplyDelete