10/13/09

Tuesday Motivation

Good morning, wonderwomen :)

Today's musings are based on three recent things in my life have all centered around living life ALIVE.  First, a family friend passed away last night (Jeanie on this challenge knows him, too), earlier than he should have left this life.   Second, I finished an audio book over our long weekend of driving, Lance Armstrong's story "It's Not About The Bike." He battled and won against cancer and all medical odds, and won the Tour de France (just one time when this book was written) as a greater appreciator of life and human capacity.  Third, I ran a marathon last Saturday, and amongst all the crazy and funny things I heard there, I liked best at the very beginning before we started running when an announcer was commenting on the brisk weather saying, "It's mornings like this that you know you're alive."

Life life ALIVE!  Don't sleep through life, don't procrastinate things you've always wanted to do, don't throw away time being complacent, frumpy, overweight, lazy, or unhappy.  Change something.  Do something to make it unmistakable to yourself that you are ALIVE! 

Here's an excerpt from the very end of Lance's story, and it talks about cancer survival, but think of it in light of this challenge and the fight for our fitness, health, and longevity: “The definition of courage is a quality of spirit that enables one to encounter danger with firmness and without fear…Children have higher cure rates…Adults know too much about failure. They’re more cynical and resigned, fearful….If children have the ability to ignore odds and percentages, maybe we can all learn from them. When you think about it, what other chance is there but to hope? We have two options, medically and emotionally: Give up or fight like hell…anything’s possible…you have to believe and you have to fight…by fight I mean arm yourself with all the available information…the more informed and empowered patient has a better chance at long term survival…What if I had lost?...I still believe I would have gained something in the struggle…In what time I had left, I would have been a more complete, intelligent, and compassionate man, and therefore more alive. The one thing the illness has convinced me of beyond all doubt, more than any experience I’ve had as an athlete, is that we are much better than we know. We have unrealized capacities that sometimes only emerge in a crisis. So if there is a purpose to the suffering that is cancer, it is this: it is meant to improve us.”

From that, I take away the message that we can be overweight, lazy, come up with excuses, become resigned to the fact that we'll always be the way we've always been, think being fit is for other people and we'll just never acheive that OR we can "fight like hell," learn everything we can about our bodies, exercise, nutrition, and live each day with positive hope, energy, faith, and belief.  "WE ARE MUCH BETTER THAN WE KNOW. WE HAVE UNREALIZED CAPACITIES."  Yes, it's hard to day in and day out watch what we eat and find the energy to blast away calories in sweat sessions.  But you are better than you know.  You decide each day if you're going to resign or fight.  Experience and savor every second of life. Be more complete.  Be more alive.  Thank you for fighting with me!  Love you all :)  Make it a fantastic week in the challenge!  What are you going to do this week to wake up your body and show it you're alive? :)

9 comments:

  1. I got in a long run (ha!) this past Saturday, then Sunday a long hike, Monday a bootcamp, and tonight I think a short jog is in order :) Bootcamp tomorrow, Thursday, and Friday mornings, too. Show your body it's alive!
    Amy F- good for you on the 1 lb loss! I'm sure that next week's #s will be great b/c of weighing in on the same scale. That makes a huge difference b/c each scale is calibrated slightly different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrote a nice post, but then my battery died. I'm going to try to remember what I wrote!

    Sarah, aren't you supposed to let your body recover a little after a marathon?

    It is so easy to live life in the status quo. Getting up every morning and making to choice to do something different can be a real challenge, but it's the only way to see improvement. Doesn't it feel good when there's improvement?!

    I listen, somewhat regularly to a podcast called Morning Coach (I think the name may have changed in the last few weeks) he talks about 1% improvement everyday. I try to remember that when the old me wants to live in the status quo.

    Here's my favorite saying:
    Go in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined. -Thoreau

    I have a necklace with the last part of the saying on it. It helps to keep me focused on getting out of the status quo.

    Have a great day! I'm off to Costco to blow my budget, but come home with healthy food!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still alternating with bike and running. My recovery from longer runs is getting shorter, so I'm happy about that! Guess I'm getting used to it? :) Keep up the good work ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. With 2 of the 3 children up most of the night last night, unfortunatly, I did resign today with my workout. An excuse, I know. I plan to kick my butt at the gym tomorrow.
    The power of the words, 'YOU decide each day if you're going to resign or fight', really hit me. We do go through talking out in our brains what we're going to do. I know that I CAN have self control, and self discipline... It's a matter of talking myself into it. I hope to get better at that during this challenge!!! That will be my 1% improvement each day hopefully! Thanks for the encouraging words!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The last couple of days have been an emotional roller coaster. I hit a high this morning when I was finally able to run again!!! It felt great to be able to run without noticeable pain in my foot. I am alive and can run and move!! What an amazing blessing that is that I have taken advantage of for too long. Thank you for the wonderful inspiring words today!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I'm trying to talk myself into doing what I don't feel like doing (sometimes that's exercise), I say, 'Doing something is better than doing nothing.' Often, the little thing I start with balloons into something great. I wasn't motivated to start with that "big thing" but I worked up to it and did it. :)
    On Sunday I saw that the employees have a bulletin board in the back of Trader Joe's. One of the quotes posted says "Are you proud of what you did today?"
    Yes, let's be aware of our choices and choose to live life alive!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amy C.- I am taking it kind of easy. My legs feel better w/ walking around, though, than with sitting still. Hence the hike. Helps me recover. I rested and relaxed all evening yesterday and will do the same all evening tonight after 7. Thanks for looking out for me :) The quote "Go in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined." makes me think of Ghandi's ideas that we must be the change we wish to see, but in a personal physical sense instead of a worldwide peace sense. You are completely right. We need to step in the right direction each day. Anything in the right direction is progress :) With the 1%, I like that, too, but would add that we should take advantage of the days when we feel like we can give 10%, and on those days listening to our bodies and doing it. That's something I'm learning at work that my boss and I talked about last Thursday. Take advantage of your great moods! :) But keep on truckin', ladies :) Amy F.- rest up and get sleep. Catching a little zzzzz instead of getting in a little workout is sometimes better for your body. It's ok! Can't wait to hear about your successes. Nicki- glad you're feeling such great recovery changes! Abrey- I'm so happy you're so happy at getting back out there! I hope your foot is 100% better :) Sarah F.- thanks for the quote! Each moment is a fresh start and a new chance to make the decision to resign or fight, to do something that makes you proud of yourself :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was very proud of myself today. I sat through meetings from 8-3 today and then tutored from 4-8, alot of sitting toda,not very active like I normally am BUT I came home and did my workout and now I am struggling to get my reading done for class tomorrow. If I only had as much motivation and I did to do my workout today even though I was exhausted. Good night ladies...good luck tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that book Sarah! It's Not About the Bike is one of my favorite all time reads. ~ I just want to add two things here at the end of the day:
    1. You all should know how wonderful it is to have my phone "ding" all throughout the day with wonderful motivation from all of you. I LOVE THIS BLOG!!! Thank you.
    2. If any of you do not watch the Biggest Loser, start right now! It's incredibly motivating! I am continually impressed with Abby's attitude. There is a woman who understands life. She's not there to play the game, she is there to change her life. And, so are we! We are all here to change our lives!
    I can't wait to wake up tomorrow morning to more wonderful messages from all of you; messages that I've come to count on every day!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.