10/15/09

Feel the Burn Thursday

Hellooooo :)  How are you ladies all doing?  So the name of the game with workouts in my opinion is perseverance.  How many times have we all started workout regimes, they only last a week, and then you peter out?!  It takes your body six weeks to begin to develop a good habit, so we're never giving our body the CHANCE it deserves if we don't stick to something for at least six weeks.  Give it a try with this 10 in 6 challenge.  Our bodies are so amazing.  They can do so much.  They are more powerful and able to endure and succeed than we give them credit for.  Don't take for granted the gift of our bodies.  Here are some fun perseverance quotes that I found- think of them in light of how our fitness journeys are marathons not sprints:
  • "I do not think there is any other quality so essential to success of any kind as the quality of perseverance. It overcomes almost everything, even nature." -John D. Rockefeller.
  • "Don't be afraid to give your best to what seemingly are small jobs. Every time you conquer one it makes you that much stronger. If you do the little jobs well, the big ones will tend to take care of themselves." -Dale Carnegie
  • "Nobody trips over mountains. It is the small pebble that causes you to stumble. Pass all the pebbles in your path and you will find you have crossed the mountain." -Author Unknown
  • "The greatest oak was once a little nut who held its ground." -Author Unknown
  • "Fall seven times, stand up eight." -Japanese Proverb
  • "He conquers who endures." -Persius
  • "It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer." -Albert Einstein
  • "People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are. I don't believe in circumstances. The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and, if they can't find them, make them." -G.B. Shaw, Mrs. Warren's Profession, 1893
  • "The drops of rain make a hole in the stone not by violence but by oft falling." -Lucretius
  • "If we are facing in the right direction, all we have to do is keep on walking." -Buddhist Saying
  • "Keep on going, and the chances are that you will stumble on something, perhaps when you are least expecting it. I never heard of anyone ever stumbling on something sitting down." -Charles F. Kettering
  • "Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • "With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." -Thomas Foxwell Buxton
  • "Most people never run far enough on their first wind to find out they've got a second." -William James
  • "Don't let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something stand in the way of your doing it. The time will pass anyway; we might just as well put that passing time to the best possible use." -Earl Nightingale
  • "Success seems to be largely a matter of hanging on after others have let go." -William Feather
  • "Look at a stone cutter hammering away at his rock, perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred-and-first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not the last blow that did it, but all that had gone before." -Jacob A. Riis
  • "Character consists of what you do on the third and fourth tries." -John Albert Michener
  • “How long should you try? Until.” -Jim Rohn
  • “Energy and persistence conquer all things.” -Benjamin Franklin
  • “Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after the other” -Walter Elliott
What workouts have you been doing this week and what do you have planned for this weekend?  Every little bit helps, even just fitting in an extra minute or two of moving around during your usual day.

6 comments:

  1. I have been taking it easy this week as I recover from last Saturday. Monday and Wednesday mornings I did a 45 min bootcamp and that's all I've done. Last one is tomorrow morning. Hoping that my hips feel up for a good run this weekend :) Tonight I'm going to be cleaning and rearranging furniture, which should burn a few extra calories. Nicki- can I borrow a couple of workout DVDs sometime?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have put my body through tougher workouts this week than I have in awhile and man I am feeling it! One more early morning bootcamp workout then hopefully Saturday I can get a run in. I am planning on running the 10K Berby Derby Thanksgiving Day so time to get ready for it. I also played volleyball last night but I have so much fun playing(really hitting) that I just can't think of it as a workout! Yeah Sarah I love how you say you are taking it Easy by only doing the bootcamp 3 times this week!! You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did my second yoga class for yesterday morning. It was fantastic. Wow, do I sweat a lot during yoga, and it's not even "hot" yoga! Wednesday mornings at 9am Jewel in the Lotus on E. Johnson if anyone would like to join me! (no class next week on the 21st).

    I did a little run/walk earlier this week and would like to do it again today if the rain lets up a bit. If not, I'll stream a workout video from netflix.

    I have a lot of cleaning to do before I go back to work tomorrow night. I think that should be considered a workout!

    I'm not sure what exercise I will get in over the weekend with working 12 hour nights. I have been waking up early after my first night.If that happens, my goal will be to get out for a run/walk. I don't think I'm willing to give up my sleep to plan getting up early yet :)

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok! I did my workout before I read the post, and I'm happy to say that I actually tried a new machine today at the Y. I did my usual walk/run for 30 minutes and that was good, cause I like that. Then, since I had time to kill, I thought I would try my hand at the rowing machine! And I'll confess that the reason I tried it, was because while I was walking on the treadmill, I saw another girl on there, and she was really fit, so I thought, oooo... if I do that, maybe I'll look like her? I know, completely insane, but it got me on the darn thing and I did 10 minutes of rowing! Wow! That was BURN right there baby! My arms can definatly feel it and my upper back! But it was good to try something new! Tomorrow I'm going to make my 're-entrance' to the Zumba class I have been neglecting all summer! That REALLY makes me sweat, and I LOVE dancing- even though it's not a pretty sight yet - it's still fun!

    Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just signed up for the Berbee Derby ! Thanks Abrey! I signed up for the 5K run, though I plan for some walking. The Jingle Bell run in December is my plan for a full 5K run.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm still not working out due to my horrendous chest cold. Each time I have tried, I go into a coughing/choking fit when my breathing becomes labored. However, I have been doing push ups every night while watching my favorite shows after the kiddos go to bed!
    I love the quotes! My favorite is Albert Einstein's quote: "It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer."
    So, lets keep at it ladies! I'm not giving up even though I haven't been able to be active this week. I'll keep trying and stay with my problem longer. I'll eventually get better and then ... look out! :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.