9/2/10

Feel the Burn Thursday

Good morning, girls!
On my mind lately has been that incredible feeling when you're in the groove, when you're eating healthy and you're getting in a lot of activity, and temptations are less trying because you're so dang proud of yourself, and you're just HAPPIER! That, and the thought that you're on a roll, why botch that up w/ falling off the wagon.  Right now I'm in the groove.  I've eaten great and worked out great for about 10 days in a row now.  That's big.  So I am just thinking about how I can keep that going indefinitely.  What's helped me is making workouts a priority over everything else because I know I'm going to be getting in beaucoup family time this long weekend.  Also, when I work out, I'm proud of myself, so I subsequently eat healthy.  If I don't work out, I'm feeling sluggish and not so proud of my self, and I make poor choices.  So for ME and MY psyche, the key is getting in my workouts.  I know everybody's going to be different.
Another thing on my mind lately has been the cyclical nature of my motivation.  Not talking about a monthly visitor, but talking seasonally.  Now that I've been on this fitness journey for 18 months, I've experienced a full circle on seasons.  I really struggled summer of 2009 w/ motivation, and it wasn't until fall 2009 hit that I really hit the groove and the biggest changes of all took place in my body, lasting through winter, too.  I really struggled this past summer, too, 2010.  But I just feel right now, I feel in the groove now, ready for a great fall & winter.  So I think fall is my time to shine!  I have no idea why!  I'm sure it's all in my head.  So I'm thinking about how I can keep the groove going year round and experience successes in spring and summer, which are hard for me.  For that, I think the busyness of fall & winter is what causes me to be extra careful about prioritizing and scheduling things, which means workouts get an actual time spot and they're not neglected.  Spring & summer are more relaxed for me, which means I tend to fly by the seat of my pants more and workouts fit in where they can fit in, I don't schedule them, and things are a bit more likely to not happen at all.  So maybe I need to pick a race in the late spring and mid-summer to train for.  Just random ruminations of me & my life.
But I'D LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE to hear if you've reflected on or noticed any patterns in your lives, and how you achieve more steadiness and balance year-round.
Oh, & let us know what workouts you've been doing :)
Here's to a fantastic holiday weekend!

1 comment:

  1. I've been doing a short (and I mean very short- I'm starting from what seems like scratch) jog, then biking to the yoga studio & taking a yoga class, and biking home. That's kind of been my go-to routine. Sometimes the yoga class I pick is a relaxed restorative one. Sometimes it's a full body sculpting one. Sometimes it's a cleansing one. And I mix up the studio locations I go to. Hubby works nights, so when I go to anything in the evening, I HAVE to ride my bike, so it's been great.
    Weekends I get in something longer, like a long bike ride.
    Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.