7/1/10

Feel the Burn Thursday

Good morning, workout wonderwomen!

Here's an article from Ultramarathon Man Dean Karnazes' blog on Runner's World Magazine's website that Mini Me shared- pretty sweet- thanks! 

http://dean.runnersworld.com/2010/06/small-wonder.html?cm_mmc=RSS-_-rwrsshome-_-NA-_-NA

It is about an 8 year old girl completing an extremely difficult race and winning!


Her mom says " I had told her that with hard work, determination, focus and a belief in herself that anything was possible. Now she can truly internalize that fact and draw upon it in the future."
"Seeing her bobbing little pigtails in the lead in the final stretch brought tears to my eyes. She had done it. She had believed in herself–she had believed that winning was a possibility–and she, and she alone, had made it happen."

It's a really cool story about an incredible and determined little girl. I just put my favorite two excerpts up above.  When we have a success, whatever it might be, we add it like fuel to our emotional and motivational gas tanks. The more you recognize and celebrate every little success in your life, the more confidence and strength you'll have to draw on in the future when perhaps you might really need it. And I of course like the childish audacity of If you want something awesome to happen in your life, then go out & do it!!

Thanks, Mini Me! 

What workouts have you guys been doing lately? What activities do you have planned to get your sweat on this holiday weekend?

4 comments:

  1. I love this time of year where we can count on the weather being consistently warm and so I have taken advantage of getting outside more by walking and I even found a water aerobics group that does their aerobics in an outdoor pool. I love it! To be surrounded by our beautiful mountains all around us and watch the sun come up every morning, it is just breathtaking and a good way to start my day! I also love love love the 4th of July! It is by far my favorite holiday for many reasons and one of them is I started a tradition many years ago to run in our 4th of July Cherry Days 5k race with a bunch of ladies and even some of our husbands join us! So I am really looking forward to that this weekend! Hope everyone has a happy 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this time of year where we can count on the weather being consistently warm and so I have taken advantage of getting outside more by walking and I even found a water aerobics group that does their aerobics in an outdoor pool. I love it! To be surrounded by our beautiful mountains all around us and watch the sun come up every morning, it is just breathtaking and a good way to start my day! I also love love love the 4th of July! It is by far my favorite holiday for many reasons and one of them is I started a tradition many years ago to run in our 4th of July Cherry Days 5k race with a bunch of ladies and even some of our husbands join us! So I am really looking forward to that this weekend! Hope everyone has a happy 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops! Sorry about the duplicate post! For some reason it wasn't showing up as my comment being published so I did it again and now it is showing up twice! Sorry!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, Wednesday I had a big workout, and hit the wall especially hard. I guess the term is "bonk" I biked in the morning for about 20 miles, not especially hard, but enough. I had an appointment and then went to yoga. I thought I was going to die in yoga. I was dizzy, nauseated, and even had some visual changes. It really sucked. I got myself home and ate and then felt better after a 2 hour nap.

    Yesterday was much better. Armed with some electrolyte supplemented water and a pre-workout energy supplement. I did an open water swim, had a snack and then rode for about 16 miles, and felt good through the whole thing!!! My time on the ride is getting faster, and I made it more than 1/2 way up the huge, steep hill before walking (next time I'll make it the whole way!)

    This morning my plan is to ride my bike to yoga and then ride around lake monona and back home. It should workout to be a 35 mile bike and 90 min of yoga.

    I plan to get a good run in this weekend and probably another good bike.

    Enjoy your holiday weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.