5/4/10

Tuesday's Motivation

I am ever in awe for how upbeat and awesome you guys alll are :)
Good morning, girls!

Meghan, I hope you continue to feel better and great job rockin' the halfie training!  Shanda, I hope your knee heals soon or else that dancefloor is going to be missing you something fierce!  Tara, how's your halfie training going?  Mini Me, I hope your unpacking is going well and I am SOOO majorly impressed and stunned that you are already at the gym in your new town!

Something I've been thinking on lately is that you all are becoming such experts in your own weight loss and fitness journeys.  We know exactly what it is that we need to do to lose the weight.  It's a simple matter of burning calories and staying at that net calorie goal each day.  "Simple," right? When we know what we need to do to hit a goal and we don't do it as a consious decision on our part, then we feel worse or more guilty than we would have had we not known how to lose weight.  Does that rambling make sense?  I am completely guilty of this sometimes.  I know EXACTLY what I need to do to lose weight, just sometimes my bad mood overrules my desire for my goal, and BAM! Welcome to funktown, but there ain't no disco playing here. 

I would love for you all to brainstorm and share how you all overcome that.  I know I'll definitely benefit from it even if the rest of you don't :)  How do you still find success?  How do you overcome chaotic days and wild children?  How do you overcome hubbies being out of town?  How do you overcome bad moods?  How do you overcome stress?  How do you overcome emotional eating?  How do you pump yourselves up?

For me, setting really exciting goals help me to lift up and out of funktown like an arcade game claw grabbing a stuffed animal.  I love finding a new race to train for or finding a new workout to experiment with.  Also, if I want a treat I negotiate with my self (I'm nutso and talk to myself regularly :) ) and tell myself I can have it if I complete a particular workout FIRST.  I've shared this before, but buying a new workout top or something workout-related cheers me up, too (Marshalls is great for that!).  I try to overcome emotional eating by working out.  Knowing how hard I work at working out, I'm less likely to want to "throw that away" by downing junkfood/fastfood.  And a good drive in the car BLASTING high-energy workout music really loudly and singing along- that always pumps me up and makes me laugh and smile :)  I've got a phenomenal workout playlist I adore.  Let me know if you ever want me to share- I can list out some good suggestions on here.  So those are my ideas, what are yours??????

6 comments:

  1. I don't know how much "motivation" this really is. But I know that sometimes things happen to throw our plans out the window. I have been there, done that many times. Despite not wanting to let my excuses get in the way, sometimes those obstacles are just too big at that very moment. For *me*, the most important thing to realize is that a day or two (or even a week or two) of falling out of my routine is not really what sabotages me. It is when I let that day or 2 (or week or two) make me feel discouraged and like I shouldn't even be trying, because it's too hard. The most critical thing for me is just to keep moving. We might be taking some steps backwards every once in a while, but as long as we keep facing the right direction, we will make progress. It is when we give up and decide to just turn around and walk the other way (because it's easier than walking backwards over time) that we set ourselves up for failure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the well wishes Sarah.

    I agree with Cherise. We need to "keep it up" and not "give up" when we have those rough times. It's easy to get down on ourselves for a couple of bad decisions.

    Also, I find myself talking myself out of working out or making a good food choice. I realized that if I just put myself on automatic mode and follow through with what workout I've already planned for that day or what lunch I've planned, I will do better. Sometimes, I have to keep my mind out of it and "just do it"!

    I'd love to see some new workout playlists on here. I need some new stuff! Post your best workout songs!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also agree with Cherise. Once I allowed myself forgiveness for a slip up, I have been able to keep moving forward.

    Finding exercise I enjoy had also been a great help to me. Now that I allow myself to walk with my running and not feel bad about it, I enjoy running much more. My motivation is that I am making progress both in milage and pace. As long as I can see progress who cares if I walk.

    I look forward to spending time outside, listening to the birds and the wind, or some good music.

    I would like to see playlists too. I've been listening to a podcast called "Two Gomers Run a Marathon" (they started as two gomers run a half marathon) They feature songs to run to, and list them on their website. I've gotten a couple really good ones from them. One of the guys is a professional musician, so typically crap music is not acceptable.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here are some of my favorite songs on my workout playlist. Don't laugh, they are kind of eclectic. And some reveal my age. :)

    I Think We're Alone Now-- Tiffany
    Heaven (remix)-- DJ Sammy
    What Hurts the Most (remix)-- CASCADA
    Listen To Your Heart (remix)-- DMT
    Everytime We Touch (remix)-- CASCADA
    Don't Stop Believin'-- Journey

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha. Obviously, I'm a hopeless romantic too-- given the titles of those songs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. my favorite play list is books from librivox.org they have almost everything in the public domain.

    I also enjoy the following songs which have the following hidden themes;

    1. blinded by the light (about me winning a race)
    2. 16 tons(me exercising and not losing weight)
    3. horse with no name (this is about the time I went running and forgot my water bottle)
    4. I'm sailing away (about me thinking I am exercising, but really I am saving the world)
    5. Chariots of Fire(this is the theme for the secret documentary currently being filmed about my life and my exercise habits. Every time it plays it means I am doing something awesome, like running up a hill instead of walking.)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.