2/3/10

Whatcha Eatin' Wednesday

Hey, chicas!

It’s everyone’s favorite day- Wednesday- the swapping of recipes and snack ideas! Horray! What have you been eating?

I liked this article about keeping on hand at home some quick, easy, and healthy high-energy snacks. http://triathlon.competitor.com/2010/01/nutrition/eat-healthy-at-home-even-with-a-hectic-schedule_6755

Therefore, you’re eliminating your excuse that you don’t have time to eat healthy, or that you don’t have “anything” to eat in your fridge. And although none of our names are as cool as Pip :) and although the article might seem like Dummy 101, there are still some good takeaways. I like the caution that just because something says it’s “all natural” does not mean it’s healthy or low-fat. And I like the tip to cook extras on the weekends and save individual portions in the fridge or freezer for the following week’s meals. Most of all, I like that she acknowledges that coming up with meal plans is just not her style and is just not going to happen, although she respects those whose style that is, but she just accepts herself and doesn’t beat herself up b/c she’s not that kind of person.

Everybody post your quickest, simplest recipes and snack ideas!!!

I discovered a weird and unusual snack yesterday that I loved, so I’ll share. I mixed in a little Tupperware container half an avocado and one cup of Bush’s seasoned black beans. That’s it. Weird, but I ate it with a spoon and it was yummy! The carbs in the beans and the fat in the avocado really helped me stay full longer. At 381 calories, it was a perfectly-sized mini-meal for me, with lots of energy. I’m sure adding tomatoes would make it more salsa-y and yummy, too.

Saturday night I made some shrimp skewers- super quick & simple. Just took a lb of frozen but pre-cooked, de-tailed, de-veined shrimp, thawed out, skewered about 8 on each wooden kebob skewer, brushed on a mixture of 2 T of bottled teriyaki sauce and 1 T of sesame oil. Broiled in the oven, top rack, 3 mins per side. Had steamed broccoli in the steamer going, too. For each serving of roughly 2 cups shrimp, 2 cups broccoli, and the tiny bit of sauce brushed on, about 275 calories. Again, a great mini-meal.

Sometime last week we had simple BBQ chicken- again very quick. Just took thawed boneless skinless chicken breasts, brushed honey BBQ sauce on each side, put on baking stone in oven, top rack to broil 10 mins, flip chicken, 10 more mins. Super juicy b/c it’s broiled (my fav way to cook chicken) and it’s cooked quickly. Served w/ steamed sugar snap peas. For each serving of roughly one chicken breast, 1 T of sauce, and 2 cups of steamed sugar snap peas, it’s about 500 calories.

Last night we had baked salmon- again, easy-peasy. Took some No Name original seasoned frozen salmon filets (built-in pop-up timer so you know when it’s cooked) and tossed in a covered pyrex dish in oven, 400 degrees for about 35 minutes. Served w/ steamed fresh asparagus. For each filet and 1.5 cups of asparagus, it’s about 300 calories.

Which you might be wondering w/ all the steamed veggies, I do like the microwaveable steam-in-the-bag type, but I adore my electric Black & Decker steamer that we got as an inexpensive little Target wedding registry gift, like $19 I think. It’s worked like a champ for 7 yrs strong! I recommend it :) We can cook rice in it, fresh veggies, frozen veggies, and I’m sure other stuff I haven’t tried in it. I really don’t like overcooked veggies, and this just cooks them perfectly- slightly crispy and beautifully steamed. There are instructions imprinted on the back of the steamer for lots of types of foods & veggies, telling you which water level to fill the steamer to, what herbs would go well with it, and how many minutes to set the steamer timer to.

Tonight we’re making chicken burritos- no rice, just lots of shredded iceberg, diced tomatoes, half a smashed avocado, lime juice, chicken w/ spices on it, and a whole wheat tortilla. Should be good!

11 comments:

  1. i have been snacking on clausen pickle spears. just 5 calories and 1 carb. i also like slices of cucumber with a little bit of creamy ceaser dressing to dip them in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love pickles- Milwaukee baby dills are my favorite. They are definitely a go to snack for me. Another one of my favorites is chips and salsa; I go for the baked tortilla chips and chunky salsa.

    Recently for dinner, I have made little personal pizzas. For the base we use whole wheat tortillas or I have tried Flat Out Wraps (light Italian herb is my favorite). This way it is easy for me to load up on my veggies and my boyfriend can have all the meat and cheese he wants. I also like these because we can have them more often just with different toppings (classic pizza or bbq chicken are the most recent). They only need to bake 10-15mins and dinner is done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This week, I've tried to pay attention to the extra calories here and there. For example, I eat a sandwich for lunch every day. The bread I use, Kirkland's Split Top Wheat, has 80 calories per slice. 160 calories for the bread in a sandwich, alone! It's a fairly hearty bread, so I decided to see if I could get away with an open-faced sandwich and use just one slice. So far, it's working great. I don't miss the second slice of bread. It does require a little bit more care when eating-- and you'll want to put something on top that you don't mind putting your fingers on: cheese or lettuce. But, it works.

    I also wanted to pose another question: about calcium. I've heard studies say that women who get their recommended calcium levels usually maintain a healthier weight than those who don't. Has anyone focused on this? I'd be interested to hear what you think. I'm not a huge milk fan and I'm sure I should be getting more calcium each day (most women need to). But calcium usually goes along with dairy products, which are more fattening, so it's kind of a conundrum, you see. Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leslie, I discovered something wonderful in the world of sandwiches about a year ago . . . Arnold Sandwich Thins instead of bread. I love the multi-grain best. They are 100 cals for the roll with 5 grams of fiber to boot! Best part: they're delicious!! Give them a try. I eat sandwiches most days for lunch too.

    I take a multi-vitamin everyday made for women. It has lots of extra calcium that we need. Getting calcium from foods is still best though. My son has a dairy allergy, so we eat a lot of leafy greens that are high in calcium.

    My go to snack of late has been the simplest snack in the world - pretzels dipped in old fashioned yellow mustard. I love this snack along side a diet cherry coke! Mustard is a free food (no calories) and the pretzels are 100 cals for about 20. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So in my weight loss/eating healthy endeavor, how do you keep from becoming "that guy." You know, the one who is constantly talking about what they eat and telling everyone how bad what they are eating is for them? My father-in-law is a master at that, and it really ruins eating out for me.

    I'm really trying to work on this regime without trying to make everyone else feel bad for what they are eating. It's hard though when my husband suggest picking up a pizza for dinner, or going out for italian. But for the time being we have found a great compromise: Noodles and Company. Their website has all their nutrition information and has several meal combos that are 400 calories or less. Works out great for both of us.

    But I know life isn't always going to to fit perfectly into "my" eating terms. So I have been really trying to find things at ANY restaraunt I can eat, and for now, it works.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Meghan, I just discovered those sandwich thins too, I think the ones we bought are a different brand but I love them and they are only 100 calories! I have been using mine to make breakfast sandwiches....so simple fry one egg or scramble using the egg beaters, turkey bacon, and of course I have to put avocado on mine, and then I add krafts mayo made with olive oil and a little bit of mustard.

    Another simple breakfast idea that my family loves is breakfast burritos. Again, I use the egg beaters and add lots of veggies...mushrooms, tomatoes, red and green peppers and avocados and then I add a slice of turkey bacon and pour some salsa over it and wrap it in a Don Panchos high fiber low carb multi grain wrap which are only 70 calories, 2 g fat and 4 g of fiber.

    For Dinner since it has bee so cold I have been craving soup in a bread bowl and so we had that the other night...cheddar broccoli soup in a wheat bread bowl with salad, very easy!

    I also love crock pot recipes and one of our favorites is pork chops in gravy and I can't remember if I have shared this recipe with you yet, so sorry if this is a repeat.

    Pork Chops in Gravy

    2 egg
    water
    8 pork chops
    3/4 cup seasoned breadcrumbs (I use Italian)
    oil
    2 small cans cream of mushroom soup
    2 small cans french onion soup
    1/4 cup parmesan cheese

    Beat eggs and little bit of water together. Dip pork chops in egg mixture and then coat with breadcrumbs. Brown pork chops in oil and place in a crock pot. Combine the soups and pour over the chops. Sprinkle parmesan cheese over the top and then cook on low heat for 5-6 hours. Serve with mashed potatoes or I like to use red potatoes and then use the gravy to put over the potatoes. Very yummy.

    A healthier version would be to not use the egg or bread crumbs and then to use fat free mushroom soup.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Allison & Leah, I LOVE snacking on pickles, too. You'll have to someday check out the farmer's market in the summer here- there's a guy who sells jars of homemade pickles and I adore his "Triple C" pickles. Extra potent suckers. Love 'em :) Refreshing, too.

    Leah, that's a great idea for little pizzas and satisfying the sig others :)

    Leslie, in addition to the Arnold's, you can also check out the Sarah Lee 45 Calorie Multi-grain bread. It's super soft and squishy if you like that taste, which I love. Each slice is just 45 calories. I love sandwiches w/ a T of fat-free kraft mayo, 4 slices of bacon, 2-3 slices of tomato, & a little salt/pepper. BT because I'm not a fan of the L :) As for calcium, I take a multivitamin that has calcium in it, and a separate calcium supplement vitamin. My physician did a full blood screen panel last summer and I was deficient in calcium and vitamin D. She wanted me to take calcium nad vitamin D supplements, so I do. I also, though, love dairy. I like babybel cheese wheels (original in the red wrapper), greek yogurt, yoplait yogurt, or skim milk (good mixed in a smoothie). I have also heard that study- commercials by the milk marketing board, too.

    Meghan, I didn't know leafy greens were full of calcium! Which ones in particular? I too like pretzels w/ mustard. Next time you're at the store, pick up cranberry mustard. YUM!!!! I love it :) I like the flat pretzel crisps, too, made by Snack Factory. You can buy them in the deli/breads section at Woodman's or deli/organic section at Cub's. They come in original (best for dipping in the cranberry mustard), honey mustard, everything, and buffalo wing (my fav).

    Heidi, I appreciate your honesty and I can relate. I'm always a little uncomfortable accepting attention in social settings for the blog or about my workouts/diet. I'm kind of a shy person by nature, though...for a while...then you can't get me to shut up.... haha... I just try to keep it all casual. It's not a fad diet, it's not a crazy all-consuming obsessive diet. It's just a healthy lifestyle. I think anyone can appreciate that. I don't think you have to talk about, just live it. I guarantee there's something at any restaurant you can eat. I adore Noodles, too :) I honestly don't eat out much anymore, except for an occasional celebration. Here are my restaurant fav's:

    Noodles & Co: Japanese Pan Fried Noodles
    Mc Donald's: Apple Walnut Salad
    Wendy's: Mandarin Orange Chicken Salad
    TGI Fridays: Key West Shrimp (2 shrimp skewers w/ steamed broccoli, really low cal, no other guilty sides)
    Biaggi's: Spinach Salad (yummy!)
    Flat Top: Veggie stir fry (just load up on tons and tons of fresh veggies, add in some wasabi and some sauces, avoid the rice or noodles, just pure veggies)
    Culver's: Turkey salad minus cheese
    Copp's (ok, I know this is a grocery store): Fresh, pre-cut, pre-washed fruit and berry tubs or go through salad bar & load up on spinach, veggies, and grilled chicken breast slices (bring your own dressing, though- they don't have any light or FF dressing on hand there)
    Buffalo Wild Wings: Naked Chicken Tenders in buffalo sauce, avoid the ranch/blue cheese dressing. Or the Twisted Chicken Salad is my hubby's fav thing to order there.
    Chipotle: Chicken burrito bowl w/ no cheese
    Chin's Asia Fresh: Pad Thai (this is my absolute favorite)
    Pizza would be a hard thing to come up w/ a compromise for or avoidance, though.... What are everyone else's restaurant go-to's?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kim- great ideas! I love crock pots :) You can check out other crock pot ideas on My Fitness Pal recipe forum (link on the left sidebar of this blog). I like the salsa chicken. Put a couple frozen chicken breasts in the crock pot in the morning along w/ a jar of chunky salsa and a can of reduced fat or fat-free cream of chicken soup. Then in the evening when I get home from work, I shred the juicy chicken, stir, add a little FF sour cream, and serve over tortilla chips, adding jalapeno slices. Did you know kicking up the spice in your food helps your metabolism and helps you eat less while feeling equally satisfied? And I just love jalapenos :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry for the bajillion comments, girls :) Can't get my thought all together at the same time! I also have found 2 new breakfasts I love:

    2 whole wheat waffles w/ 4 T of sugar-free Hungry Jack syrup. The 2 frozen waffles toasted are 180 calories total. They're hard to find in the grocery store, though. In Woodman's, they're in the organic aisle's freezer section, not in the normal waffle freezer section. Avoid butter & just enjoy hot w/ the syrup. Yummy!

    1 whole wheat bagel, dipping each bite into Oikos honey-flavored greek yogurt. Yum! Good healthy alternative to cream cheese and better flavor! Again, the greek yogurt is hard to find, stores hide it. At Woodman's it's in the little organic fridge section ACROSS the aisle from the yoplaits, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  10. here is a link to a study about weight loss and calcium supplements.

    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19263591?ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

    So the only people who lost extra weight with clacium were those who were already very deficent in their calcium intake. Not us. There have been a few studies about calcium and weight loss in the past few years, but really they fade in comparison to the marketing and promotion taken up in their honor.

    There is so much bad science(or great marketing) in the world. I especially like the diet 7up that contains vitamin c and calcium. Guess what, its not going to help anyone lose weight.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the food suggestions! I've been monitoring my food intake every single day and I LOVE the PALS website. It helps me when I start getting munchie to know whether I 'really need' the food or am just craving it. It's hard for me to tell the difference--but I'm starting to be able to tell. Before I feed my face at night, I enter in my food intake and exercise and then see how much/what I can eat. I've also found myself passing on high calorie foods more often and being very selective about the sweets I choose to eat.

    My new favorite bread is this imported German brand called mestemacher--sunflower seed bread. It's totally dense and solid, no wheat, no preservatives, and fills my tummy full! (140 calories, 6g fiber, 5g protein per piece)I eat a toasted piece with a piece of pepper jack for a snack/quick meal. I actually CRAVE it. It has LONG shelf life (like 6 months!)and there are several difference flavors. They sell it on Amazon, which I didn't know...I buy it at the commissary.

    http://www.amazon.com/Mestemacher-Sunflower-Bread-Ounce-Units/dp/B000LKZ7KC

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.