1/21/10

Feel the Burn Thursday

Good morning, sweating & shrinking divas!

What workouts have you done this past week?  What do you have planned for this weekend?

One of the best workouts you can do for your body is.....SLEEPING!  If you don't get enough sleep (sorry, mommies of newborns, this might be impossible), then you're more apt to come down with illnesses or injuries in your workout regime.  This Bicycling article is pretty good. It suggests 8-10 hours!  Whoa! This RunnersWorld article says getting enough sleep (again, 10 hrs) will improve your reaction time and speed in running.  This WebMD article suggests that getting enough sleep actually affects 2 important hormones in our body that affect appetite, so if you don't get a good night's rest, the next day perhaps nothing you eat will be satisfying or perhaps you'll be ravenous.  And the thing we probably all knew, this AFPA article says that sleep is needed for our muscles to repair themselves (when you workout tiny muscle tears happen and then your muscles rebuild bigger and stronger).

The other great component to a successful weight loss program is....WATER!  We know that often our bodies confuse the signal for thirst for the signal for hunger.  Sometimes when you think you're hungry, your body is actually thirsty and dehydrated.  Being sure to drink enough water will decrease your hunger & probably the amount of food you eat b/c of that. It will also increase your energy, increase your metabolism, cleanse your body, be easier on stomach bloat than diet soft drinks, and will just overall make you feel better.  How much is enough?  The old, well-known recommendation is 8 8oz glasses of water + any you drink during a workout. This RunnersWorld calculator that I like a lot actually customizes that generic recommendation for your gender and body weight, so it results in a little bit less water intake for me than the 8x8=64 fluid ounces/day.  But this smaller calculation still has the addition of + anything you drink during a workout.  And another cool tip is that if you sip ice cold water throughout the day, you'll burn a few extra calories from your mid-section as your body spends energy to warm up the water temp in your stomach to an absorbable and usable temperature.  And I've heard that if your body feels thirsty, you're already dehydrated- so drink drink drink!  Any tips for how you get in your daily water?  There's actually a free iPhone app called "8" that tracks your intake of 8 glasses of water a day like a checklist- kind of fun :)  I like a big glass of Crystlal Light w/ dinner, too :)

So the point of this post is not just to hear about what workouts you're up to (which I LOVE hearing about), but it's also a SLEEP CHECK and a WATER CHECK!  How are you doing in both of those departments?

11 comments:

  1. I love sleep. I feel best if I go to bed between 10 and 10:30 and get up around 7am. My night shift schedule doesn't allow this several days a week, and that might explain why I have trouble finding food to satisfy me when I'm working.

    I've found if I have fun water bottles around I drink more. My new 20 oz bottle seems to empty really fast. I drink 3 if not 4 of them a day. I don't drink when I'm outside running because I don't have a way to carry water yet. As it gets warmer I'll have to figure out the best way for me to bring water with me.

    Workouts have been pretty good this week. Last Thursday I did my first 30 min run. I know I already updated that last week, but I'm still pretty proud of that. Sunday and Monday I was up early for work so I opted to ride my bike instead of lazing around on the couch for an extra 1/2 hour. Tuesday I did a 2.5 mile treadmill run. I was pretty sore yesterday, so I just walked the dogs at the park. Today I'm contemplating a yoga class, or maybe just DVD at home. Tomorrow I'm planning for swimming (I haven't been there for a while) and then Saturday is the big Relay!!!!! 5 miles here I come!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, sleep is good. this week hasn't been the greatest sleep week. my husband had grades due today so we had some late nights. i am his ta. so he's up late then so am i. trying to get back on a better schedule.

    as for my workout i added a mile from the dvd i'm doing. it has 4 mile workouts. i thought i might add push ups and sit ups that will be next week's challenge. tomorrow i'm going to take a nice walk at the track at my husband's school and saturday i'm going to do a biggest loser yoga dvd i just bought. i thought it would be a good activity for my 6 year old daughter to do with mom.

    good luck, amy c.!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Out of those 3 categories, I do super great with my water . . . mediocre with my exercise . . . and horrible with my sleep.

    I have a wonderful Contigo water bottle that I keep filled with ice water and I drink lots and lots of water (24 oz. bottle filled and emptied at least 4-5 times/day). I take it with me everywhere. I have found it really helps with curbing hunger pains and I have more energy overall.

    Last week, I did the gym 4 days. This week, it's only going to be 1. :( Monday was a holiday and I didn't get there (with all 4 kids at home with me). Then, my daughter got strep on Tuesday and I missed Tuesday and Wednesday due to that. She was well enough to go back to school today, so I went to the water aerobics class that I like to do on Thursdays. And tomorrow (every Friday), I volunteer in the classrooms at the elementary school, so I likely won't get to the gym. One of my hang-ups is that I hate getting showered and ready for the day twice. So if I have to do something in the morning (where I need to be showered and dressed and makeup and hair done), I will end up not working out that day. My time is so very precious and little that I can't fathom taking time to shower and get ready twice in one day. Anyone have a solution for that?

    And . . . as for sleep . . . I'm a solo mom (my husband works out of state during the week and we only see him for part of the weekend) and have 4 very busy kids and I work from home. There is just not enough time in the day for everything. And - unfortunately, sleep is the thing that suffers. I typically don't crawl into bed until midnight and I'm up at 6 or 6:30. I would love to get to bed earlier (at least 11) and be able to sleep until 7, but that won't happen any time soon.

    Next week should be better with exercise - I should be back up to 4 times at the gym. And I can't wait for it to warm up a bit, so we can go on family walks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cherise,
    I hate showering twice a day, too! The remedy that works for me (granted I don't have kiddos) is I just shower in the evening. I workout sometime between 4 and 7 pm and then shower, then just leave my hair and make up undone til morning. Shortens my getting ready in the morning, too, which is a plus since I'm not a morning person! Though I still find myself showering twice in a day if I have something I have to be presentable for in the evening....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Water intake has been pretty good this week, sleep not so much and exercise has been packing and running around like a crazy lady. :) I LOOOOOVE the Melaleuca protein shakes. I drink them right after a workout, sometimes as a snack, and sometimes as breakfast. I can really tell a difference if I don't drink one after a workout! Chocolate and Vanilla flavored. I guess my sister adds her orange flavored fiber powder to the Vanilla protein shake and it tastes like an orange cream popsicle. Yum! Love all your comments ladies, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all the tips everyone! My workouts have improved drastically from my last post! I am loving Sarah's DVD's - 3x a week and I am taking a Hip Hop Class, plus a little swimming this weekend!

    This is weird- but I really do not like the taste of water- unless it is ICE COLD! So to help me drink it- I add a couple drops of lemon juice.

    I love sleep and can't ever get enough. I am trying to get more regular in my going to bed, rising time (since it changes every day) Tips?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I forgot to add a huge GOOD LUCK to all of you ladies with your big runs this weekend! Looks like several of you have been training hard for this goal and I'm jealous to not be doing it with you! Maybe next time! ;0) Anyone want to make a road trip to the East Coast and meet up for a race????? :) Great job at challenging those excuses!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do pretty good with my sleep and try and get in at least 8 hours. I notice that when I workout all week, I just fall right into bed between 10 and 1030.

    My water intake is not so good but I am working on it, in fact, when this blog was posted, I hurried and filled my water bottle up, so thanks for the reminder :) and I love the tip about drinking ice cold water, I am going to try this!

    I haven't done very good with the work outs this week because my kids were out of school Monday and Tuesday but I got my pilates in today and then I might go work out with my husband tomorrow morning at Cross Fitness and then we are going to go on our active date this weekend and play racquetball and go bowling together! Should be fun!

    Thanks for all your comments and tips, they really help!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've found that the best way for me to get lots of water in, is to always have a water bottle with me. I have a pocket on the side of my purse that it fits into and so I usually always have water around and take a drink here and there.

    And along the same lines, I've noticed that I drink water a lot more if it's something I'm doing mindlessly. Like when I'm just standing in the kitchen talking to my husband or in the evenings when I know that I'm done eating for the day, but he's eating something in front of the TV. I'll sit down and watch TV with him with a glass of ice-water in my hands and take sips here and there and before I realize it, the glass of water is gone. I don't think anyone likes to choke down copious amounts of water in one sitting, but it's easy to gets lots in when you do it mindlessly, IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with a lot of you. Always having water with my I find myself drinking a lot more. I always try to keep a glass of water at my desk, and I find it really easy to drink 3 glasses while at work. At home I find it harder to keep up on my water consumption since I'm always doing something.

    As for working out I am doing a lot better this week than last. I have been walking/running on the treadmill. I borrowed my sister's Kettlebell and DVD; I plan on doing that tonight.

    Sleep is not problem for me; I easily get 7-8 hours a night during the week and a little more on the weekends (our dog knows to let us sleep in).My only problem with sleep is that I'd rather do that then get up and work out in the morning. I rather work out in the mornings because I don't have any excuses for not doing, unlike the evenings when there is so much to be done. Any ideas for me to get my butt out of bed earlier to work out?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great work this week ladies. I love to sleep. Crawling into bed at night is one of the best parts of my day. I understand that I probably do this earlier than most since I have a very early morning workout scheduled. Leah I have found when I lay my workout clothes out the night before and move the instant the alarm goes off I am at the gym and half way through my run before I am really awake! Kinda scary if you think I have driven a car to get there : ) In the past when I really needed to count how much water I was drinking I got a water bottle and placed 4 or 5 rubber bands around it at the top and when I drank all of it I would slide a rubber band down to the bottom so I had a very visual reminder if I needed to drink more. Just some of my thoughts for the day!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.