10/22/09

Feel the Burn Thursday!


Good Morning :)  How have you been doing?  What workouts have you been up to this week?  It seems everyone around me is sick- I hope you all feel better soon!  If Nicki is feeling better, she has a half marathon this Saturday- her first race ever!  Valerie and I are doing it, too.  Thought it's really short, check out this article on Don't Quit Your Workout Too Soon from the Oprah website.   What I find interesting about it is that your endurance and willpower in any situation in life comes from mental decision making.  Also a carryover from Dr. Cooper last week, he says our brains are hardwired for greatness, ingenuity, and breakthroughs, but our brains are also programmed to DEFAULT to laziness, fear, and accepting the easy route.  You just have to become aware of that pre-programmed default and then you can consiously overcome that with your decision making.  Weird.  I think so, too.  But nonetheless, there may be a grain of truth in it.  I know when I'm working out or running, it's COMPLETELY a mental game.  I decide to go further or to stop.  I decide if something feels good and exhaustive or horrendous.  I decide if I'm having an "off day" or if I'm having a spectacular day.  Physical illness is an exception to all of this of course.  What do you ladies think about mental decision making and will power affecting your workouts?  Let's say there's someone on the 10 in 6 challenge here who's having a really hard go and therefore doesn't have time to workout or eat right because she can't think straight.  What would you all say to her to encourage her?

5 comments:

  1. I ran twice this week an did some cycling. Took a night off last night and plan to run or cycle tonight. I hope you all have a great day! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I get like that where I just think that I should but I struggle with finding the motivation to work out. Honestly at that point I almost haggle with myself and agree to have a small treat if I do it.

    I always have my weights in my room and so it is really easy to do weights and a basic workout before bed if I am really having a hard night.

    My other thing is to think about everyone here and how amazing you are all doing. My drive to keep up keeps me going. I have also found a program for my iphone called daily burn which helps me a lot in keeping track of what I eat and when I exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm finally feeling better this week! I'm happy about that. Tuesday night, during the Biggest Loser, I did lots of exercises while watching the show. -squats, push-ups, lunges and crunches. I wasn't counting, just doing as much as I could during the show. I am still sore! Sometimes I think I'm not going to make it up the steps in my house! :) I guess I did more than I thought, but that's great!

    When we are having those bad days that can sometimes easily multiply, I think it's important to have a little sit-down with ourselves and re-evaluate what we want. Do we really want to lose weight? Do we want to be more healthy or not? It's important to remind ourselves of what we really want out of our lives and then to stay on track to reach those goals whatever they may be. We have to remind ourselves and sometimes what we want can change. As for myself, I've learned that I need to do everything in moderation. I've found that in order for me to keep my motivation flowing and keep those feelings of deprevation at bay, I need to take things slowly. I'm always proud of myself if I'm moving in the right direction. I take a lot of pride in the little steps. Those really do add up into the great accomplishments of life.

    Sorry this got a bit long. Bottom line: Be proud of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't done too much this week for exercise, but the food hasn't been horrible. I'm looking forward to the Kalahari on Friday night. I plan to hit the Gym! Maybe Friday night and Saturday am.

    In response to the having a rough go of it scenario:

    Sometimes when life is completely overwhelming, if you can find one thing to focus on and have success it can change your whole outlook. Maybe exercise and eating are too much right now. Pick one. Go one day at a time. Don't even go full guns with that one thing. Work for an improvement every day over the previous.

    Keep positive thoughts. Things may be rotten right now, give your self a little time to wallow (say an hour) but then get up and do one productive thing! Everything works out in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shanda- that's such great dedication to keep the weights by your bed and always fit in a few reps! I'll have to check out that iPhone app...

    Meghan & AmyC- I love your thoughts on attempting something in moderation. THANK YOU!

    You girls are all so awesome- I love you so much! You really do help more than you know!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.