
Have you ever heard of interval training, a.k.a. circuit training? It can be applied to any kind of workout you do, whether is running, biking, cario machines, strength training circuits, etc. The basic idea is to mix in low-intensity, med-intensity, and high-intensity in whatever you're doing. We blast more calorie when we mix up the speeds and intensities than if we just keep the same steady pace. Our muscles can get comfortable at a particular pace, and so keeping them constantly alert, working, and pushing new paces and intensities will burn more calories. Here are some ideas to mix it up a bit for you on a treadmill (Kristin's preference), elliptical (Michele & Meghan like ellipticals), bike (Lindsay & Nicole's fav), outdoor running (Sarah, Jamie, & Valerie's preference), or pool (Laura's MO):
Interval Basic Workouts from Men's Health(*my favorite of the links)
4 Cardio Interval Workouts from Fitness
Cardio Options & Strength Training Options with Intervals
Treadmill Option with Changing Inclines
Keep in mind that an interval workout is going to be more intense than a steady workout, so you probably won't go as long. One site I saw actually suggested just doing interval workouts once per week and your regular workouts the rest of the time. To keep it simple, try doing one of the pre-programmed interval workouts on your cardio machine. When running outside, I'm going to try mixing it up sometimes with peppering in 1 minute sprints in my usual runs. Try an interval workout this week!
Have any of you tried interval training before? Any recommendations, suggestions, tips? What have you done the last 4 days for workouts & what do you have planned for today's?






























I've never tried this before. I must admit, I'm scared of those pre-programed workout buttons on my elliptical! I think I'll try to add some jogging into my long walks. The dog will love that!
ReplyDeleteYou just reminded me of an article in Apr09 GH. It is archived as three articles on their website:
ReplyDeletehttp://www.goodhousekeeping.com/health/fitness/muscle-toning-walking
http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/health/fitness/interval-ab-walking
http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/health/fitness/reduce-stress-walking
These are each 20 min total. I tried the Interval Ab version once, liked it and then forgot about the article. I'm setting a goal to do one of these once a week during our challenge.
Bonus: for the Muscle Toning version that alternates moderate walking with exercises, you could get the mail, pick up toys in the yard, put laundry away, carry stuff out to the car, etc, for the walking segments.
If I had less self-awareness I could make a loop around the neighborhood, stopping periodically to do lunges or squats in front of someone's house and doing leg lifts on the park bench...yeah, not so much!
I will give a try to one of the men's health workouts you suggested on my bicycle.
Is there an iPhone/iPod app that you can set up sequential alarms/alerts and use as a timer (2 min, 30 s, 1 min, 30 s, etc)? That would be pretty cool, not that I can use it on my iPod shuffle. ;)
This week: Mon walk/clean/garden, Tues push lawn mower/cleaning, Wed outdoor painting/Taebo, today interval walk or bike. Also, I have a set of butt exercises that I used to do in college which I hope to do twice a week during this challenge...better start on those.
Yeah for new 20 min workout routines!!
I have heard of those workouts. My consultant at my gym really encourages them.
ReplyDelete~Shanda
I ran/walked an hour on Monday and skipped Tuesday and Wednesday! Oops! I'm not sure where I'm going to fit anything in today with all of my running around with parties, getting ready for kindergarten, etc. I might just have to count that! I'll get there! Thanks for all of the info and links ladies, you're fabulous! (it sounds like I said I went "skipping" on Tuesday and Wednesday-mental picture is making me smile. :) hee hee
ReplyDeleteMy Monday workout was similar to this. I made a 30 minute long playlist, turned up itunes and rotated between crunches, pushups, jumping jacks, squats and just Jessie dancing. It was fun, but I realized just how long 30 minutes is.
ReplyDeleteOK, so the best interval workout for me is running on a bumpy trail. Crazy difficult uphills, easy breazy downhills, plus the thrill of death (or turned ankle) lurking underfoot with every root and fallen tree. The uneven terrain also strenghtens your feet/ankles and makes you less prone to injury. I feel inspired just writing about it. BTW, I am feeling pretty tired lately. Yesterday I got to go on a trail for a semi-intense workout, I walked most of it. Should I feel this wornout?
ReplyDeleteI have a hard time doing anything with machines (treadmill or elipitical, etc) because we don't have work out equipment (my hubby's in the military and yeah right like I'm gonna move that everywhere we go- not!) And I have a hard time rationalizing the cost/ finding a gym I like. So have you guys found any gyms that are nationwide that you like? I like gyms that have classes (my favs are yoga, step, and anything that is like martial arts), BUT they have to have free (included) or very cheap but GOOD childcare because I have 3 little girls (only 2 are likely to be with me while I go work out, but still that's a total necessity for me to go to the gym). Right now I do Wii Fit and EA games workout (I forget what it's called, but I like it way better then Wii Fit- I get a more complete work out.) Ideas ladies? Keep in mind I REALLY hate to work out. There's my downfall. I hate exercising. I do it because I know it's good for me, but I have serious motivational issues. I'm a couch potato who chases after kids.
ReplyDeleteMy favorite interval training session was done with my running group when a severe thunderstorm kept us from our morning run. There were 4 of us one on the stationary bike, one on the rowing machine, one on the treadmill and finally one on jump rope. We did 7 minute intervals and 2 rotations. If nothing else watching the lack of coordination with the jump rope was worth it. I almost fell off the rowing machine when Charlie, a 50 something year old natural runner struggled to get the rope around in more than 2 successions. It really was a great work out.
ReplyDelete