8/18/09

Tuesday's Motivation


We all know we should be drinking at least 8 8 ounce glasses of water a day, but that's a challenge sometimes! Here's some motivation to do so :)
Rev Your Metabolism
Drinking diet sodas may stimulate appetite
Keep headaches and fatigue at bay
Boost energy and ease joint pain

So the question I'd like to pose is this: How do you get your 8 glasses of water a day? Do you have tips, tricks, strategies?

11 comments:

  1. If you have an iPhone or iPod Touch, check out the free app called "8." It helps you keep track of your progress in getting in your 8 glasses a day. I just tried it for the first time yesterday. I'm notoriously not the best at getting enough water, but I do find that if I guzzle guzzle guzzle while working out, the water is easier to stomach than if I'm just sitting and relaxing. I'm open for good ideas!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the app Sarah! It's fun to touch it when you've had your water and watch it disappear. :) Doesn't take much to get me smiling...... :) thanks! My plan right now is not to allow myself to drink anything else but water until my 8 glasses are done for the day. We'll see how that goes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I notice a big difference in my afternoon hunger pangs if I've drunk a lot of water that day. If I've consumed at least half my water, I don't get as hungry later. Remembering that when I'm trying to choke it down really hleps me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be honest, I'm one of the least healthy girls on the block. Drinking water is seriously a chore for me. What helps me to drink more is get crystal light (fruit punch flavor) and just add it to my water bottle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agrees! Flavor packets helpme a lot I'm just trying to remember to adjust my calories to include those if they have any. And the iPhone app is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate drinking water. Like seriously- it's a terrible chore for me too! I add some crystal light or lemon to it though and it's not so bad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have no problem drinking water. I love cold water. Perhaps this is because I am at home and outdoors with kids all day, and not in an air conditioned office.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Since I cut out soda and drinks with artificial sweeteners and/or added sugar my only options are water, coffee, skim milk and tea. To make sure I get enough water, I carry my water bottle with me everywhere I go. It is 32 oz and I make sure I drink the entire thing before lunch, then half of one with lunch. I drink the other half before dinner and then drink a third one with dinner and finish it before I go to bed. Then when I workout I drink more. It is importatn to like the taste of water and not all water tastes the same! I happen to like to tap water in my city which makes is easy to drink and refill.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry, I have no tips...I drink plenty of water because I get thirsty and it makes me feel better (I often get a headache when I'm dehydrated).

    So far this challenge is very interesting to me. Yesterday was the first time I've ever counted calories. I tried to eat the way I would if I wasn't paying attention, to get an idea of where I'm starting from. After I logged my activity for the day (walking, gardening and cleaning--I did not "workout"/exercise), I was surprised to see that I had calories leftover, and the program cheerfully told me if I did this everyday, I'd weigh 5 lb less in 5 weeks. So, in summary, I had a normal day and it said I'm going to lose weight, but I've pretty much weighed the same for the last five years. Is that disparity explained by going out for dinner once a week, etc? I guess I'll have a better idea after I've logged a week worth of eating & activity (I definitely consume more high-fat foods on weekends).

    Have any of you been using myfitnesspal longer than two days? I'd be interested to hear what you think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just got the last of the water down :). That's awesome, Kristin, Valerie, & Sarah F that water drinking is no battle for you whatsoever! I hope to get to that point soon. Also, great job on the cutting out all artificial sweeteners, Kristin- wow! Did you do it cold turkey or wean? To answer your question about My Fitness Pal's accuracy, I'm no expert, but I did find success with it when I did it for 3 months this spring. I lost 20 lbs with it. When I went off it this summer, I have stayed the same weight. So I'm looking forward to getting back into it and seeing the scale and waistline budge again! Keep going strong, ladies! If you find encouraging sites or ideas, share them with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally agree with everyone that said it's a chore to drink water. The only time I ever drank water is when it was filtered and ice cold and I worked outside every summer for 8 years in the blazing heat and humidity. That was when I was at my healthiest. I can't stand tap water and it has to be super cold. I generally can't get that so I end up skipping it all together. And I have a hard time justifying buying bottled water. I really need to suck it up and get a filter or something. Since I've been working out I found that I can accomplish my water goal during that time. Except one night I might have chugged a little too much and almost made me vomit! So I learned my lesson to spread it out. I might not get the full recommended amount but it's far better than going days and days without it at all. I have to admit I feel better after and it suppresses my appetite. Like you ladies said as well, drinking water can help when your brain is confused between thirst and hunger. Goes hand in hand. :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.