8/10/10

Tuesday Motivation

Good morning, girls!
In a book I read recently, it was talking a lot about realizing our potential.  I wouldn't recommend the book as a whole, so I'm not sharing the title, etc., but this snipet has been on my mind: We know can become addicted to substances, drugs, foods, etc., but do we ever stop to think that we can become addicted to attitudes?  Whether they be weak attitudes or harmful attitudes or self-belittleing attitudes, they are things that we can be so addicted to that we don't even see it.  Do we treat the habitual bad attitude about something with the seriousness and verocity that needs to be exercised to beat ANY addiction?  Think of the 12 step program for AA.  First step is recognizing the attitude that you're victim to and acknowledging its grip on you. 
Share with us (if you're willing) a bad attitude that you think might be gripping deep into you, maybe it has been for years, and share with us how you overcame it or how you're working to overcome it or how you might in the future be working to overcome it.  I know this might take a while to think about, but just roll it around in your head :)  If nothing else but a higher consciousness about the choices you make in your attitudes results from this little post, that's fantastic. 
But share if you can! 
Love you, ladies :)

2 comments:

  1. This is a great topic. I knew one of mine the instant I read this post. My parents inadvertently taught me to be very critical and negative about others. My mom is so so negative about certain people that it has become almost laughable now to see her extremely distorted and often completely WRONG view of people or their situation.

    I'm working hard, hard, hard to remove that trait/attitude. I try to see the good in others (and in myself). The most difficult place to do this is at home... if I'm becoming negative, it's most often about my children or spouse. But I'm WAY better than I used to be. I don't like how it makes me feel. The critical attitude hurts me more than it hurts them.

    Another yoga plug-lol: after I do yoga, I automatically feel more positive about others and about myself. I guess endorphins are very worthwhile... Make it a GREAT endorphin-filled Tuesday everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing, Jen! Mine that I've made TONS of progress with over the last few years is being able to be truly happy for other people's successes. When I was in a frumpy and unhappy place a few years ago, I was jealous and mad and immature about other people's successes. Through focusing on my attitude, working my tail off to find my own successes, and in running this blog, I can say I genuinely am happy for other people's successes now. It's not easy & it's a long process, but I think I've got it!

    For one that I'm working on right now, I am addicted to the attitude of "it can wait" and what I'm referring to is the fact that I'm a procrastinator in EVERYTHING I don't wanna do :) Studying is the biggest one. But something I've got to be careful with is the working out procrastination. Or the food consumption rationalization. Like last year when that one Biggest Loser contestant who gained the weight back & got chewed out by Bob, he said that his weight gain started as a rationale he had with himself, that he could have a huge meal or lots of food, because he told himself the next day he'd burn off 3000 calories. Thing is, maybe the next day he says he'll do it the next day. And on and on. I try really hard to keep this out of my head and baskets of attitudes I chose from each morning. I think it's something I'm going to be trying to avoid for the rest of my life! But becoming aware of potential pitfalls and stopping them before they become an issue is SO KEY!!!!! Does anyone else have attitudes they are addicted to?

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.