Good morning, fit beauties!
Have you ever felt like you've hit a performance plateau? Check out this article about reaching a point in your training (whatever sport it might be in) where gains don't come so easily, and learn how to still improve.
http://www.bicycling.com/training-nutrition/training-fitness/get-your-plateau
"Plateaus happen when your body has done as much as it can with what you've given it,"

"You're given a certain set of tools at birth, DNA-encoded...As you begin to train, you have three to four years when your improvement curve is really dramatic. Then you hit your talent limit. You've fulfilled the easy part of your career—the part when gains come easy."
"The closer you get to some inherent genetic maximum ability, the more and more work it takes to make smaller and smaller increments of improvement."
Here's how to get off your own personal plateau.
First, Rest
Second, Build a Base
Tap Your Potential
Push the Pace
Work Over Your Workout
Let the Busting Begin
Ok, so now apply those lessons out to other areas of your life. Even if you're not doing running races or cycling races or trying to perform at your absolute hardest and most efficient level, there are still other areas of our lives where plateaus hit us. I'm thinking about hitting a plateau in weight loss. Have you ever just stalled out w/ your weight loss (assuming you're not already in your goal range, that is)? Follow the same formula as above! First, rest. Get off your plateau first by making sure you're getting as much sleep as your body and your family circumstances will allow- 6-8 hours for the average adult at least, and 8-10 hours if you're high-activity. Second, build a base. Do your basic calorie counting and food journaling. Be gentle on yourself. Just be dedicated, slowly trucking away. Then begin to add in new-to-you workouts that invigorate and challenge your body. Before you know it, Funktown could be in your rearview mirror.
Have any of you hit a plateau before, whether it's been in physical sports or in your weight loss journey? Care to share? What got you off the plateau?
Just keep on trucking, ladies!!! You've done the hardest part, and that's to start the journey! You're all here on the blog, you're trying, you're learning, you've got the desire, and it doesn't matter where you are on your path- the important thing is that you're ON your path. Go, you! :)
Make it a great day, ladies!
I'm a little behind on my posting. I'm not really sure why, the last 3 nights at work have been exceptionally uneventful.
ReplyDeleteI just read the bicycling article on plateau. I think I'm reaching/have reached a plateau in my fitness level over the last few months. I have improved so much over the last year that now I'm to the point that I need to more than just "get out there and move" to show more improvement.
I need to start working on pushing myself a little harder to get faster and go farther. I need to use what I'm learning about nutrition and fueling to support this renewed effort, since energy is also holding me back.
This was a great article Sarah, just what I needed!
Thanks