Why worry about protein after a workout? As this article explains, "Studies show that carbohydrates combined with a little protein creates a better muscle refueling and building response, and it reduces cortisol, a hormone that breaks down muscle." I have also been told that when doing runs or endurance sports, I need to be sure to have protein mixed with carbs within 30 minutes of when I'm done. For me, I like having a protein shake w/ OJ or a protein shake w/ some kind of berry-banana-milk mixture. You could also go the route of buying expensive recovery drink products from GNC, etc. We have something called "Dark Matter" that is pretty yummy and I like it after a long run. It's a combination of protein & carbs w/ some other goodies mixed in to help your muscles recover quicker. But of course, you can get in a good dose of protein & carbs w/ good old food right after a workout, too. A serving of chocolate milk does the job pretty phenomenally, too :) This will help you bounce back quicker after a hard workout and will decrease soreness.
What wonderful workouts are on the schedule for this week? Let us know what you've been doing!































I went for a 5.5 mi run on Sunday morning. (motivated by Sarah and Valerie's weekend "jog") It seems like I've been shoveling snow ever since! :) My right arm is still feeling it. I'm also getting fun exercise from my dog walking/running every day.
ReplyDeleteYeah, my workouts this week are shoveling snow too! I was actually surprised at what a GREAT cardio workout it is! :-) 30 inches of snow last saturday and 12 more inches wednesday. Takes a couple hours to shovel out a car and we have two! I feel GREAT afterwards. IT's almost 40 degrees outside...shovel in a sweatshirt and NO GLOVES!!!
ReplyDeleteHello Lovely Ladies!!! I am back to my workout this week but am having some trouble that i need your wonderfull wisdom on. I have been running and after about 45 minutes I have pain in my left hip! I have tried slowing down for awhile then speeding back up but the pain is still there and then the rest of the day it hurts. I have boughten new running shoes to see if that will help but hasn't. I took it easy for a week or so and it still hasn't gone away. What do you think?? I am trying to not let this get to me but am worried and very frustrated!
ReplyDeleteJenn P are you here on the east coast too? I'm also shoveling this week and enjoying my yaktrax running outside. The strange looks I'm getting from my new neighbors though is pretty dang funny. I keep holding back the urge to tell them I'm not just wearing running shoes. :). I'm really liking them!
ReplyDeleteNicki those yaktrax sound awesome! You are hard core, my friend. I have been doing the elliptical hard for 10 minutes then a 35 minute aerobic workout with some plank work at the end. Wimpy inside stuff =) but it's still going good in the AM for me.
ReplyDeleteAbrey - good luck with the hip pain. So sorry to hear about it. =( Hip pain stopped me from running more than 13 miles in my cross country and soccer days of high school and college. Last summer I was up to 12 when the pain started getting really bad again. I guess it's the pounding for me. Maybe I've injured my cartilage or tendons or just how my body is built since I feel pain in pregnancy, too. I'm excited to hear about your findings! But sure am sad to hear about your pain since you're such an amazing distance woman. Good luck.
I have to say I am very grateful to not have to shovel snow this year! Thankfully we have had a very mild winter :) I live in Utah and we normally get dumped on all the time but it looks like the eastern states are getting it this year! But I am so impressed by all you ladies getting out there and getting your workout in! And Nicki, what are yaktrax? Whatever they are, they sound fun!
ReplyDeleteMonday, I went on a brisk walk with a friend, LOVE WALKING and it was such a nice day and made me wish that spring was here already! Then later that night it was parents day at my daughters gymnastics class so I went and did that with her. Let me tell you, it's not a very pretty sight seeing a 41 year old trying to do gymnastics :) but it was fun spending time with my cute little girl. Tuesday was pilates, Wednesday I went to water aerobics, today was pilates again and then tomorrow I am doing an abs n buns class at a local gym and then I'm hoping to get in a Zumba class Saturday morning!
Abrey, I am sorry to hear about your hip pain! I'm not an expert at running but it definitely sounds like you should get in to see a doctor. Please keep us posted on how you are doing.
Anyone that works out in the am is my hero, I am soooo not an early morning person..... Kim go to yaktrax.com if you want to see a pic. But basically they're just these coil things you strap on your running shoes. I'm pretty sure these are the kind Abrey, Sarah and Valerie have used so they have more experience with them than me. Anyway I got them at rei for about 20 bucks. My feet haven't slipped yet running on the snow and ice here.
ReplyDelete