1/14/10

Feel the Burn Thursdays

Good morning, calorie blasting beauties :)


Have you gotten in any good workouts this week?  What do you have planned for the weekend?

Here are my two favorite moves right now that are both kind of fun :)  Wacky Jacks that really work your obliques (sides of your core) and Swing Kicks (horrible quality video but all I could find on you tube) that really work your hips, quads, hamstrings, and lower abs. 

Did you know that your public library has workout DVDs you can check out for free (even TurboJam & all the expensive infomercial DVDs)?  And Wal-mart has all the Biggest Loser and Jillian Michaels workout DVDs for around $9 each?  Do you have a gym membership & go to the gym?  Do you practice yoga, running, cycling....?  Do you have equipment at home you use? 

20 comments:

  1. This week I've been doing the 2nd week of P90X Lean (mostly strength training- diff body parts each day- a bunch of DVDs) and I'm also running T, W, Th, & Sat. Can't wait to hear all the fun variety of things you all do! Everyone's going to be so different- I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cutting calories has made me significantly more tired than usual. I experienced this the last time I seriously stuck with a diet and is ultimately why I quit...So this time I am going to stick it out and get through it. My workouts have been sluggish, so I am going to do them anyways, and as usual it is just a bunch of running.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Valerie, are you eating all the calories you're burning in workouts? Ex: if MFP wants you to have 1300 net calories for the day, and you burn 1000 calories in a long run, you should be consuming 2300 calories for the day. And try clustering your day's carbs right around your running timeframe, or the part if your day when you're most active. And it might just be trial and error. Try increasing your intake slightly....I hope the energy and stamina come back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i found a walk slim leslie sonsone video at wal mart where you can find the biggest loser and jillian one sarah saw. it has 4 mile workouts and they progressivly get harder. i've started just doing the 1 and 2 mile and then the strech just to gauge where i am at physically. it has been a LONG time since i've done anything. i'm doing really well. i thought i would be way sore but am doing great. next week i will add another mile and maybe start the 100 push up and 200 sit up challenges on here. i think i am going to make the weekend a rest time. we are usually pretty active on saturdays and sunday is the day of rest.:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did hardcore interval running at the gym yesterday and basically felt ill the rest of the day. Hmmm... So, I am going to try again Saturday, but I will have a protein drink before and after the workout to see if that helps...

    Valerie, I also wanted to add: I find I get tired when my protein isn't high enough. They say you need a minimum of 100 grams of protein a day if you're trying to lose weight. Some even say as many grams of protein as you weigh. I bought a flavorless whey protein powder online a year ago (70 lbs) and this is the easiest way to get protein. 25 grams per serving, similar to chicken but easier to prepare. Good luck, Val! You can do it! Oh, and I have found I seem to lose more weight when I sleep more... so perhaps your body will do some wonderful fat-burning while you sleep. Take a nap or two! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's not been a great work out week for me. I had a long walk a the dog park on monday. I had intended to run, so I had my HR monitor on. I just wasn't feeling the run. I had really good walk though. I even walked up the steep hill at the back corner that I usually avoid. I kept my HR up the entire time so I did benefit from the walk.

    I am planning on visiting the treadmill this afternoon. My goal for January is to run 30 min continuously (speed doesn't matter). I am going to go for it today. I'll run with a 1-2% incline to overcome the fantastic perpetual motion of the treadmill.

    I'll swim in the morning. My new bike is getting lonely, so I better spend some time with it this weekend before work at least once.

    Valerie, I'm with everybody else. Eat more!! But not junk.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a membership at Snap Fitness which is open 24hours which I go to 5 days a week and then do long runs on Saturday. I am hitting it hard this week and will take an easier week next week in preparation for running a half marathon on the 23rd. Valerie, I am going to throw my two cents in -- when I did my first try at 10 in 6 I was very tired and my workouts were struggling then after talking to some smart people I realized I was vitamin defficient. I found a product that I love to take before I workout that has really really helped. By counting calories I had to find the ones that really made my body work the best -- kinda what Sarah was questioning yesterday. You are a warrior and I am sure you will find something that will work for you. Stick with it!!! Way to work up a sweat ladies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This week I have been doing pilates. I am also going to go to Lady Fitness and take advantage of their two week trial membership and try their body pump, cycling, step and kickboxing class and then this weekend I am going to Zumba!

    Sarah, I would love to hear more about this P90X Lean. Where can you get the DVD's?

    Happy workout ladies! You're all doing amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just an update.

    I decided to take the boys to the park (that's the dogs, I don't have kids) instead of using the treadmill. I ran for 30 minutes!!!!

    For the sake of full disclosure, I did walk up a couple longer hills because my HR was already over 175 and much higher than that I start to feel a bit dizzy. My HR stayed over 170 while walking and as soon as I go to the top I ran again.

    I'm counting this as my first 30 min run, and I'm very proud to have achieved my January goal on the 14th of the month!! looking forward to that relay! 5 miles here i come! It might take me 1 1/2 hours to do it but I'll do it just the same!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great comments today!

    I have an elliptical machine that I use at home. It used to be Maggie's, but now it's mine and she has a treadmill. So now, I bug her by going over to use her treadmill when the weather is too cold for me to run outside. (I'm not as tough as Abrey, Valerie and Sarah:) I've been doing more running lately than usual - getting ready for the relay marathon! Whoo-hoo!

    I have to share that my new job has really kicked me in what I thought was a pretty in-shape butt! I've started training two dogs to heel on a leash. I work with them simultaneously for 30-45 min. every day (M-F). They are MAJOR pullers and everything from my shoulders to my fingertips is very sore! Since I also spend most of the time running with them, I'm getting a great workout!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a membership at the YMCA so I try to get there 3 times a week to run on the treadmill. However, I'm not ready to leave the newborn at the daycare there yet-- it's winter, she's little, etc. (I have no problem leaving the toddler. :)) So, that means I can only go when my husband can stay home with the girls. However, when my husband's traveling for work and I'm single-parenting it (like this week), getting to the gym is nearly impossible. On weeks like that I do a Pilates dvd that I have at home. I like the DVD, it's Ana Caban by Gaiam. Hopefully it's still making somewhat of an impact.

    Anyway, I aim to do the treadmill mostly. But I've been thinking about what you said yesterday Sarah, that if we diet alone we'll lose muscle. I'm dieting and doing cardio, but no strength training. So, I wonder if I should add some strength training to my routine. Are most of you just focusing on cardio?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just realized I never checked in today! I have a gym membership at a ladies only gym and have been going there every day this week so far. I did a new Body Vive class that was fun and I also did the elliptical and bike machines. I have found that I work out best when I go somewhere to do it. If I try to do it on my own, I get a little lax. So for me, it's worth it to have a gym membership at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Leslie, I do more strength than cardio overall. I suppose that's why I've see more change in my body shape than in my weight loss. I'm NOT complaining one little bit--I FEEL so much better (I worked out about 3 times a week for 10 weeks--then took the holidays off)! I go to the Y too and tend to do 30 minutes of cardio and 30-40 minutes of strength--depending on if I'm working upper or lower part of my body. With this 10 in 6 challenge, my goal is to go 3-4 days a week and, for the first time in years, to be very attentive to what I'm eating (a new 'addition' to my lifestyle change). I'm hoping to see a little more weight drop off! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Leslie,
    I'm doing strength training here at home and it's totally working... my triceps are getting ripped. :) JK. It does seem to be working, though. I just do a lot of planks, side planks, push-ups, tricep push-ups, tricep dips, etc for upper body. For lower body I do wall sits, squats, lunges, pliays (I don't know how to spells that, but who cares). As long as I'm sore the next day I figure I accomplished something. I don't have time to work out at the gym - same thing... new babies make it tough. I am trying to run on the treadmill at the gym, however, but only 30 minutes or less. You distance people amaze me! Keep up the good work everyone! All you marathoners and half marathoners.. wow.:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's been running and yoga for me this week ladies. I want to get in some ab workouts next week, since I have a 4 1/2 day weekend, I am very excited to get some good runs and work outs in.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lets be honest....I need help! My calorie intake has been good, but I am struggling with the work-out part. Sad thing is that I can find the time and have a gym membership (free from work), but I'm not motivated! Do I need to find a better reward for myself? I think it is mostly because I am out of the routine - but how do I get my butt in gear?

    I wasn't a total slacker this week though, I swam for 30 min at the pool and did a 30 min ab workout but nothing that will help lose 10 lbs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi all you 10in6 friends! It's been so fun to hear about your goals and ideas and GREAT progress and effort! Each one of you is amazing!!!

    I need to catch up with things, my goals are to have good energy every day and have fun with my family and friends by 1. not eating very much sugar (I feel sluggish and easily irritated when I do!) and 2. work out hard to tighten up my muscles to get back to the way they like to feel.

    Last 10in6 I saw improvements with measurements, but not so much in weight. I want to rid myself of 10 of the extra pounds slowing me down, so I'm going to focus on CONSISTANTLY limiting calories and keeping up the workouts.

    Hard work outs are the easy part for me - Meghan I admire your ability to eat very smart! That's what I"m going to go for this time - lots of vegis every day before eating small portions of my meals. And consistant (6 a day, right?) high-protein small meals/snacks like you suggested to me Jen, thanks! I know it does work for me if I just don't let myself binge for a couple days. My major downfall.

    Things that are working for me, since I love to munch, are
    1. huge salad bowl of vegis cut up every morning for easy access through the day.
    2. 1/2 head sliced up cabbage w/ balsamic vinegar, mashed garlic, 1tsp truvia
    3. air popped popcorn with cidar vinegar sprinkled on (or water) and salt
    4. 100 calorie fudge bars from costco (helps me avoid worse stuff like a batch of cookies!)
    5. bell pepper sliced dipped in salsa

    Workouts -
    I love the way cardio makes me feel - a good run especially - but with the kids and the weather I've been doing more weights indoors and have REALLY seen improvements in my thighs and arms. Now if only I could figure out how to target my BUTT! I do turbo jam for 40 minutes, sometimes the turbo sculpt, and planks, push ups, lunges, you know... Running or skiing or elliptical mixed in a few times a week.

    I neeeeeeeeeeeeed to keep writing in and soaking up all your positivity and break my cycle of doing great then indulging in sweets for a few days. This will be the 6 weeks to free myself of that terrible wall that's been holding me back from what I really want.

    ok well, there's my catch up. I'll try to be more consistant. After I get back from a vacation in San Diego this week, that is! No computer there. I hope to check in a few pounds lighter in a week and a half!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've been really digging my new Jillian Michael's DVDs because they are short and HARD. I can put baby on the floor next to me and she laughs at mommy jumping and jiggling around.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ashley,
    I can totally identify with you on having time, but no motivation. My work schedule allows me multiple days off in a row every week. It wasn't until I decided to do a triathlon (something I had wanted to do years ago but was too scared to do it alone) that I started to commit to my workouts.

    Don't try to change too much at once, and don't beat yourself up for not getting to the gym every day. Personally I hate the gym, I've discovered that being outside (even in the cold) inspires me more than anything.

    Chose one thing that you want to improve next week. Maybe swimming twice. When you achieve it be proud of yourself and tell us about it. Achieving small goals on the way to the large one is what keeps me going! I still have a very long way to go, but I have also made big improvements since July when I decided things needed to change.

    Hope that helps a little.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Leslie-
    Regarding strenth training, I have done very minimal strenth training the last 10 months and had success in weight loss, but I probably would have had GREATER success had I put strenth training in there. And by strength training, I consider body resistence exercises like yoga and pilates to be strength training exercieses, too- not just weights and resistance bands. Right now I'm doing MOSTLY strength training, and it makes me feel really good. I wish I had done more earlier. Read this article- it might help: http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/cardio-vs-strength-training-workouts?page=1
    But keep in mind that there's conflicting researchers out there who say the calories blasted post-weight lifting are not true or significant.

    Ashley & Leslie (& anyone else in my area),
    I have 4 Biggest Loser workout DVDs that I won't be using in the next few months if any of you want to borrow them! I have Biggest Loser Cardio Max (fav), Biggest Loser Boot Camp, Biggest Loser Sculpt, & Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred. I can drop one off at your house this evening on my way out of town?????? Let me know if you want one & which. I think mixing things up is so important so you not only confuse your muscles into working harder, but you don't get burned out and bored with your routine.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.