Protein 101: Eat LOTS of it. According to Runner's World magazine, if you want to lose weight, about 25% of the calories you consume each day should be from protein sources, and furthermore clumped to just after your workout. Benefits of getting in your daily protein include:
- Making you feel fuller for longer,
- Helping to build and maintain lean muscle mass,
- and Repairing your micro-tears in your muscles following a workout.
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups whole oats (not quick cooking kind)
1/4 cup wheat germ
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
Handful of Craisins
1. In a small pot, combine honey, brown sugar, and vanilla. Heat over medium until sugar and honey are combined and smooth. Make sure to stir it a couple of times.
2. In a bowl, combine oats, wheat germ, cinnamon, and salt. Mix well.
3. Pour honey mixture over the oat mixture and stir well.
4. Pour granola onto a sheet pan that has been sprayed or has a silpat.
5. Bake at 325 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Make sure you stir the granola often. Maybe every 5 minutes or so.
6. Let cool on sheet pan. Stir in Craisins and enjoy. Could add chocolate chips. You could also try dried apple slices!
7. Store in air-tight container.
Last night I tried a new recipe that someone posted on the My Fitness Pal recipe forum and it was YUMMY! My hubby and I both really liked it. Served w/ a big mound of steamed green beans. I forgot to take a picture, though- sorry!
1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
1 pound ground turkey breast
1 large egg
1 small sweet onion, finely chopped (I only did about a tablespoon of chopped onion)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup honey barbecue sauce
1/4 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 slices whole-wheat bread, torn into small crumbs (I had to use 4 pieces)
1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
1 tablespoon salt, or to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 2 quart baking dish.
2. Bring a pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the sweet potato, and cook until soft, about 10 minutes. Drain the sweet potatoes, and mash or whip until smooth.
3. Mix the ground turkey together with the egg, sweet onion, garlic, barbecue sauce, ketchup, Dijon mustard, and whole wheat bread crumbs in a large mixing bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the sweet potatoes, and stir until evenly combined. If the mixture seems too wet, add more bread crumbs. Use your hands to form the turkey mixture into a loaf shape and place in the prepared baking dish.
4. Bake in the preheated oven 1 hour. Slice the loaf to serve. {Serves 4)
Per serving:
Calories: 336
Total Fat: 2.7g
Cholesterol: 123mg
Sodium: 2478mg
Total Carbs: 43g
Dietary Fiber: 5.3g
Protein: 33.8g
I'll bet you could make this dish with leftover sweet potatoes and leftover turkey from Thanksgiving! Probably just put it in a food processor or Magic Bullet to grind/puree. And I think it could serve 6 no problem. It's pretty big.
And forgive me- the posts Thursday & Friday will most likely be late in the day, not bright & early :)































Laura, how was your spinning class this morning? Good work!!!!!!! I've tried morning workouts, and it just isn't feasible for me energy-wise, so I stopped beating myself up about it and now I workout everyday in the late afternoon/early evening. But it's different for everyone and you've got to squeeze it in whenever it works for you!
ReplyDeleteSo, let's see, what I've been eating this week. Tuesday for breakfast I had an egg sandwich on Sara Lee 45 calorie multi-grain bread w/ Kraft fat free mayo. This morning for breakfast I had a bowl of multi-grain cheerio's w/ skim milk. Every morning for late morning snack I have 7 reduced-fat triscuits with a Laughing Cow Babybel cheese round sliced into 7 slices to go on my triscuits. I love it! I tend to not eat lunch persay, just various snack-size mini-meals. So in the afternoons I usually have a yogurt. Monday for lunch I stopped at Copp's (a grocery store) and picked up a big tub of already washed & prepared strawberries & kiwi. A whole kiwi was only 46 calories and 14 medium strawberries were only 54 calories. And kiwi and strawberries are probaby my favorite foods in the whole world.
My biggest tip for everyone is just trial & error in the snack department. Try new things and you'll find something you LOVE. If you're eating healthy food that you LOVE, then you're going to actually have higher metabolic burn while & after eating it than if you're hating what you're eating. And you're going to feel satisfied of course.
So what do you guys LOVE to eat that's healthy?
My breakfast today:
ReplyDeletePlain lowfat yogurt with mixed frozen berries & a little agave nectar to sweeten a bit, fresh ground flax meal (for Omega 3s), and a few chopped walnuts (also Omega 3 source). Yum. Filling.
Yesterday breakfasy: 3 prunes (not so yum), small handful of seed/nut mixture for protein. I couldn't sit down yesterday, so this was the best I could do.
Lunch today: egg white sandwich with ff mayo on whole wheat bread. Fresh carrots & red pepper sticks.
Snack idea, if you're needing to curb your sweet tooth: split a banana in half, sprinkle a few chocolate chips on it and a few walnuts or pecans (for protein), then bake it about 12 minutes in the oven... Almost as delish as chocolate chip cookie dough, but so much better for you.
You're all doing so great! I'm so impressed with everyone's positive attitude. Please keep it comin' - I need all the help I can get! :)
I have been working on incorporating more veggies into my diet as well as making healthier lunch choices. I discovered these little green giant boxed veggies that you steam up in the micro in about 3-4 minutes. Some of my favs include; teriyaki veggies (snap peas, carrots, brocolli and cauliflower), a yummy cheesey mix of carrots, brocolli and cauliflower, potatoes & snap peas, barley and veggies. These are just to name a few. Jewel has had them on sale for $1 a box. They are low in calories and an easy way to get your veggies in. This week for breakfast I have had low sugar strawberries and cream oatmeal. My lunches normally consist of a green giant veggie meal, strawberry yogurt, an apple or some other kind of fruit and a cheese stick. Mid afternoon I normally have a granola bar or a handful of goldfish crackers, my fav!
ReplyDeleteSomething to think about that I heard this week that makes sense but never really thought about it. Breakfast and Lunch should be your highest calories meals, that way you have longer in the day to burn it off and then dinner should be your lighter meal. Never really thought about it but wanted to share!
Welcome to Cheryl who just jumped on this challenge! Check her out on the right ;)
ReplyDeleteJen- I've never thought about doing a banana boat like that indoors- It's been a campfire favorite. I'll have to try that sometime :)
Tara- The veggies sound great! I've done the Bird's Eye steam in the bag cheesy broccoli for lunches before (huge family size bag I eat myself :)), and I am a big fan of Archer Farm's (SuperTarget) steam in the bag asparagus w/ a little parmesean cheese sprinkled on it (again, I eat the whole family size bag myself :) ).
Keep the great ideas coming, ladies! Cheryl, if you like almonds, you should check out the 100 calorie packs of dark cocoa roast almonds by Diamond. They're almonds w/ a dusting of dark chocolate powder on them. SuperTarget carries them. They fix a chocolate craving :) and come in little pouches you can drop in your purse.
It'll get easier, everyone! I promise! You have to be patient with your body- it takes a long time (about 6 weeks) to reprogram its cravings and develop new habits. Once you reprogram your body, though, to be full at 1200-1800 of calories a day and you've reprogramed your mind to make smart food decisions, it will come naturally for you and you won't have to track everything you eat in MFP.
Hang in there! Jen & Amy C., I've got a yoga workout for you to give a shot at! I tried it last night. Whew! Very muscularly intense. I had the pages all ripped out of my magazine and spread on my living room floor :) This link, though, is the series of videos. It consists of 10 poses. mwww.fitnessmagazine.com/beatstress
man, you guys are all so good!
ReplyDeleteAs far as what I'm eating.... well, I love protein in the morning. So I like my eggs. I feel so much better when I have a good breakfast too. I just can't make it on a little fruit and nuts... sorry! Sometimes I have oatmeal, sometimes a whole grain or bran cereal with milk.
Lunch, I've been trying to keep down the carbs, ie breads - so I've been eating a lot of soup and having sandwich wraps and such. I REALLY try to keep my portion size down at dinner - it doesn't always happen, but I'm trying. Also, not eating a lot of bread or carbs with dinner either. Snacks are either cheese sticks, or wheat thins Fiber selects with laughing cow cheese, a banana, or something like that. I try try try to keep it a fruit, veggie or protien.
I have a great recipe for Stuft Green Pepper soup! Maybe I've shared it before, so let me know if you want it!
I have yet to 'reprogram' my mind and body... it is SO hard when the 'boys' in my life - hubby and 3 boys - are always after a 'quick meal', an unhealthy snack and desserts! AH! So, I guess my strategy has become to stay out of the kitchen as much as possible! hahaha!
Oooh, Amy F., do share the stuft green pepper soup recipe!
ReplyDelete