11/24/09

Tuesday's Motivation

Good morning, ladies :)  How are you awesome challengers doing?  Did you succeed at day 1?  Did you get in any workouts? Is anyone having problems figuring out My Fitness Pal?

Something I forgot to mention previously, is if you're currently a nursing mom, be sure to add in about 500 extra calories per day to your diet above and beyond what MFP suggests :)  And that's just a result of Googling the subject- I'm sure you all know more than I do on the subject!

So as the intro pointed out, the format for posting and discussions I try for is Check-ins on Mondays, Motivation on Tuesdays, Recipes/Snacks on Wednesdays, Workouts on Thursdays, and Motivation on Fridays. 

Forgive me, but this week all that's on my mind is Thanksgiving!  I am so excited for a little getaway, new trails to run on, maybe more rest & more workouts than usually afforded in a work week.  Thanksgiving tends to be such a food-centered holiday.  America plans to wear their "stretchy pants" to the feast and gorge themselves uncomfortably and painfully full.  Our "I'm full" valves don't function on the last Thursday of November.  I've been thinking a lot about it, thinking of what my strategy is going to be that day around all my mother-in-law's yummy goodness and sinfully scrumptious dishes.  Obviously we could all get in some extra workouts and having a Thanksgiving feast not affect us much in the weight department. But it bugs me about myself that at such a family schmorgusboard as Thanksgiving, I make myself uncomfortable.  I want to be comfortable.  I want to not be clutching my tummy.  A good taste of everything should be great. So for this Thanksgiving, I am going to enjoy with thankfulness and happiness a serving spoon of everything, but that's it.  No mountain 'o guilt piled high on this plate.  The holiday is not about the food.  It's about spending time with family & friends, about sharing your blessings, about recognizing the little things in life that bring you joy.  What are your strategies and thoughts?

Here are some non-food-centered ways that you can really celebrate Thanksgiving in a spirit of gratitude this year:
1. Make a Thankful Turkey: From Meghan, "Every November I make a "Thankful Turkey". It's simply an empty tissue box decorated to look like a turkey with a slit in the top for you to put papers inside. We sit the turkey in the center of the kitchen table with a tiny stack of small papers and a pen next to it. The idea is to write down things you are thankful for and slip the paper into the turkey. Whenever we think of something, we slip it into the turkey. On Thanksgiving, we "carve" the turkey and read aloud all the things we are grateful for. It's a lot of fun!You are all inside my turkey waiting to be read aloud on Thanksgiving Day!


2. Take a Thankful Walk (& continue this throughout the year): From Jon Gordon, "Take a simple 10-minute walk each day and say out loud what you are thankful for. This will set you up for a positive day."  Maybe you could take your families out for a group Thankful Walk!



Fill your heart with gratitude and you'll be healthier!!!!  Here's an excerpt from an article/newsletter from Jon Gordon, a motivational author & corporate consultant, positivity guru, & whose idea the Thankful Walk was up above: "THANK YOU. They are two words that have the power to transform our health, happiness, athletic performance and success. Research shows that grateful people are happier and more likely to maintain good friendships. A state of gratitude, according to research by the Institute of HeartMath, also improves the heart's rhythmic functioning, which helps us to reduce stress, think more clearly under pressure and heal physically. It's actually physiologically impossible to be stressed and thankful at the same time. When you are grateful you flood your body and brain with emotions and endorphins that uplift and energize you rather than the stress hormones that drain you. Gratitude is like muscle. The more we do with it the stronger it gets."

Did you know there were so many health benefits to being grateful?  Slap that smile on your face, lace up those gym shoes, and revel in all of those blessings in your lives, INCLUDING an amazing body with wonderful potential for strength and willpower.  And of course, who couldn't use more endorphins?!? :)  Have a fantastic day, ladies!

10 comments:

  1. I hope you all make it a great day! And no worries if you're starting a day or two late w/ the check-in. We're just glad to have you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first strategy for Thanksgiving is running (walking) the Berbee Derby. I don't remember who first mentioned this in the last challenge, but thanks!!

    Tim (my husband) decided yesterday that he is going to run too! When I first started running in July I asked him to start with me. He gave it a half hearted attempt and then pretty much stopped. Over the last month or so, I have been running at the big dog park out on PB with the boys. At first Tim was walking fast while I ran, he would just about catch me during my walk interval and then I would start running again. The next thing I knew he was running with me. I have a couple of friends that signed up to run as well, so Thursday AM should be fun.

    My next strategy is the to stick to turkey and veggies (not creamy) and limit the bread during dinner so that I can partake in as much pie as I want without too much guilt.

    Weather permitting my family usually goes for a walk on Thanksgiving as well.

    I'm looking forward to hearing other people's strategies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the great article! It is so nice to have a change of perspective on gratitude. My plan to stay on course this Thanksgiving since we are having it twice is to run Berbee Derby(10K) thanksgiving morning and then bring to the dinners something I know won't ruin all my hard work. Sweet potatoes are a power food if fixed properly and a relish tray can be a girls best friend to load up the plate so their isn't room for belly busting mountains of not so friendly food. Enjoy the people and conversation then don't beat yourself up over one indulgence.

    Sorry if this is getting preachy. Come up with a game plan and get some info about what are good options at thanksgiving. Don't go in blind look up calorie info so you can be informed.

    Have a wonderful day! We are amazing for challenging excuses and taking on the challenge to change!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep a gratitude journal every Sunday. It helps me remember all the good things and be a more positive, optimistic person. Hello endorphins. :)

    My plan for Thanksgiving: just eat until I'm full. Drink lots of water, too. I'm cooking everything but the turkey, so I'm concentrating on veggies and lower fat sides. I'm excited to spend time with my family and we'll also probably take a walk. Our only dessert is pumpkin pie. No guilt, as there's at least a veggie in there. LOL! :)

    Sarah, I'm so grateful (speaking of gratitude) that you run this blog. Wow... I'm so inspired by you. That phrase "Challenge Your Excuses" has been running through my head since yesterday. I love that! So thanks! (And you should seriously consider becoming a "life coach." I'd hire you).

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I was going to be in town on Thanksgiving I would LOVE to do the Berbee Derby w/ you ladies :) That's an awesome way to kickstart the holiday. Amy C, I'm going to try and stick to mostly turkey & veggies, too. I will still indulge in a little taste of everything, but I'm just trying to keep the bird the only thing that's keeled over & stuffed. I completely agree with you, Abrey! Enjoy the conversation & have a game plan ahead of time :) Jen, you have always struck me as a really happy person, so the gratitude journal must be working for you! And drinking lots of water during dinner is great, too!

    And the COOLEST THING OF ALL TODAY is this: MY BIG SISTER JUST JOINED!!!! Wahoo! Welcome, Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanksgiving is going to be crazy for me with two houses to go to. Thankfully I was able to gracefully decline dinner at one house since we wont be able to attend during that time. For this challenge I actually remembered to measure myself this morning so I'm really excited to track those changes as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My family is having Thanksgiving at home with just the four of us. It's a wonderful eating strategy considering that my son has a dairy allergy and I never make things for dinner that he can't have. So our menu is: ham (I'm the only one who actually likes turkey :), mashed potatoes made with chx. broth instead of butter/milk, a big salad (no cheese) and dinner rolls. For dessert we're going to Maggie's house and I'll enjoy whatever great dessert I want. -just one.

    Since I'll be running the Berbee Derby (5K) that morning, I know I'll feel so much better about eating that day. I love the ideas of drinking lots of water and tanking up on veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, who would start a day or two late? J/K I'm new to this so just trying everything out, including posting a comment! I'm going to go to a spinning class in the morning before work. I am saying that so someone will ask me if I went tomorrow and I can't talk myself out of it when the alarm goes off at 4:30 in the morning! Just realized I don't know how to show a profile - Sarah, it's me. lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. WEll, my strategy for Thanksgiving isn't much of a strategy, I'm in no control of the fixings except the rolls... hmmmm... so I'm making whole wheat rolls instead of store bought white rolls! I hope! ;) I LOVE the idea of taking a Thankful walk with my family. I hope the weather holds and we're able to do that. My husband goes out every Thanksgiving morning to play football with his friends. I guess that means I'm stuck at home with the kids... so taking that walk later will mean a lot to me.
    I love your Thanksgiving Turkey idea Sarah, and every year, I think I'm going to get around to do something like that and then life gets away from me EVERY year and I end up the day before Thanksgiving wondering where the month went.
    WEll, thanks for the encouragement, and I hope to get more endorphins in the coming months!
    HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Thanksgiving Turkey idea was all Meghan's doing :) Laura, you can just post anonymously and put your name at the end of your comment like you would in an email. Or the other option is creating a free google profile, and then your name shows, etc whenever you're logged in. Give me a call and I can walk you through it :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.